HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post
Yea you can see at one of the stations (Chevrier?) that the light had just turned red for the busses to cross but changes almost immediately when the bus with the camera for this video arrives at the intersection.
There's definitely some fakery going on. At one of the stops on the return trip (possibly the one you're talking about), there is a pedestrian just starting to cross but fades away when the priority signal turns on.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 6:36 PM
Winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3de14eec6a View Post
There's definitely some fakery going on. At one of the stops on the return trip (possibly the one you're talking about), there is a pedestrian just starting to cross but fades away when the priority signal turns on.
I think they just simply accelerated the video so that we don’t have to spend 20 seconds watching a person crossing the road.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 6:43 PM

ya the video is sped up so stuff like that happens. No wait, actually it's the big conspiracy.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 7:08 PM

I'm just getting excited for for it to officially open. I'll be using it almost daily and think it will really improve the system. I'm sure it could have been done better, quicker and blah blah blah but it is what it is and I think it will be a big improvement to the current system.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 7:36 PM

It's one of those things where people who don't like it complain. People who like it don't say anything. Typically NIMBY kind of thing. we need more YIMBY's.

generally the tone I hear is people are excited for the new system and routing. There will be growing pains, I can assure you. people will be mad. But it'll work out in the end. Some people will need to travel further to stops, other people will be shorter, etc.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 7:58 PM

I will have about the same distance to my stop and the travel time will likely be the same because using the Clarence station, the dog leg adds enough length to the route relative to where I catch the bus that the added speed will likely result in similar time then the current shorter distance and greater stops taking Pembina from McGilvary.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 9:05 PM

Even with it being the same length. You get out of the traffic. Which helps especially during winter weather.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 11:48 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
It's one of those things where people who don't like it complain. People who like it don't say anything. Typically NIMBY kind of thing. we need more YIMBY's.

generally the tone I hear is people are excited for the new system and routing. There will be growing pains, I can assure you. people will be mad. But it'll work out in the end. Some people will need to travel further to stops, other people will be shorter, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
There are stoplights???
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
I believe they are transit priority intersections
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3de14eec6a View Post
Guys, this won't be an issue once the line is converted to rail (Phase 3), because I predict, rightfully, that they'll add into the budget to make these two points completely grade-separated.

Thing is, we don't know when the vaunted Phase 3 will actually happen. Hopefully they won't have to carry me in a stretcher or wheelchair due to my type 2 diabetes.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 2:23 AM
Starring as himself

I wonder how much they are anticipating wayward motorists turning on to the busway. In Toronto we get people driving down into that subterranean streetcar station every few months. This seems even easier to mistake for an ordinary roadway.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 3:21 PM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
Guys, this won't be an issue once the line is converted to rail (Phase 3), because I predict, rightfully, that they'll add into the budget to make these two points completely grade-separated.

Thing is, we don't know when the vaunted Phase 3 will actually happen. Hopefully they won't have to carry me in a stretcher or wheelchair due to my type 2 diabetes.
What? There's a "phase 3" rail conversion? This is in the plans somewhere?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
What? There's a "phase 3" rail conversion? This is in the plans somewhere?
Phase 3 is the Transcona leg. You can be sure there will be no rail conversion in the next generation.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Phase 3 is the Transcona leg. You can be sure there will be no rail conversion in the next generation.

No. The "Transcona leg" is Phase 1 of that line, unless I'm wrong and the University Line and the Transcona Line are somehow connected and become one. But I see them as separate.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 4:52 PM

There is no Phase 3 of the SWRT

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 4:53 PM

Interestingly, with April fast approaching we should get notification of the new routes soon.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 4:55 PM

Quote:
The conversion of Winnipeg rapid transit to rail will never happen. We need to build out a city-wide network first. By the time that happens rapid transit will just beam people between points, Star Trek style.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 5:00 PM

Quote:
There is no Phase 3 of the SWRT

OK, so what do you call the conversion to LRT then? There's no Phase 4, 5, 6....11 either.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Interestingly, with April fast approaching we should get notification of the new routes soon.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
The conversion of Winnipeg rapid transit to rail will never happen. We need to build out a city-wide network first. By the time that happens rapid transit will just beam people between points, Star Trek style.
Self-driving cars will make the 2020s as revolutionary in terms of transportation as the 1920s were, when intercity road construction began in earnest and ownership of automobiles tripled over the course of the decade, after having already more than tripled in the previous five years. It was the start of motels and tourist courts, the driving vacation, drive in restaurants and even sex in the back seat.

With no wages to be paid, self driving cabs or ride-shares (all electric, of course), or whatever you want to call them, will be ubiquitous, inexpensive, but yet highly profitable.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post

That's why you're on my Ignore.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 5:37 PM

Quote:
OK, so what do you call the conversion to LRT then? There's no Phase 4, 5, 6....11 either.
I guess I would call it Phase 50, as in the amount of years it will take to be truly considered.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan