HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 24, 2021, 1:04 PM

I love how this photo captures pretty much every generation of buildings downtown. We get a very futuristic tower next?

This is my vote - this beauty~20 story multi use building in bulgaria. I’d love it if the greens integrated were native evergreens from the boreal so it was green all year round. that would be a huge inspiration to keep saskatoon more green and pleasant looking all year round.
the only thing that depresses me in the first photo is how all of those trees are dormant 6 months of the year. then i get frustrated since we leave next to one of the worlds largest forests - the boreal, which is COVERED in evergreens. We just continue to not acknowledge this because it’s easier to maintain all of our dead looking trees. U know what isn’t easy to maintain more than that? my depression over how ugly saskatoon is 6 months a year with 6 month a year dead looking trees.

Last edited by roryn1; Apr 24, 2021 at 6:21 PM.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2021, 6:57 PM

Bit of a nice facade renovation to another building on Broadway, done similarly to the Calories building across the street completed a couple years back. Much improved compared to before! Pic taken by me yesterday compared to the before from Google Streetview:

Old Posted Apr 25, 2021, 7:42 PM

edited

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jun 7, 2021 at 5:50 PM.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2021, 10:07 PM

Montage

The montage project in University Heights is moving along nicely.

Here is the link to their website https://montageliving.ca/

I was going to post a couple of pictures showing the progress which included the construction crane but I can't upload the pictures from my phone.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 5:12 PM

I have often wondered what is the economic argument for renting versus owning (condo) if money is not an issue for ownership. As my wife and I approach our retirement we had planned to downsize and buy a condo. I love the amenities and style of the Montage in Uni Hts but not sure about renting? We do hear of more retirees looking to rent, but that just seems like throwing money away to me!

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
I have often wondered what is the economic argument for renting versus owning (condo) if money is not an issue for ownership. As my wife and I approach our retirement we had planned to downsize and buy a condo. I love the amenities and style of the Montage in Uni Hts but not sure about renting? We do hear of more retirees looking to rent, but that just seems like throwing money away to me!
if money is not an issue, I would definitely rent. efficient condo boards and building management in large buildings are hard to come by. I own and our building just did a cash call, we’ve switched management twice in the last few years to no avail in better quality from colliers or ICR, and we just got the worst rated fire rating in the entire province for our building. No one on our board is from saskatoon either - people are buying most condos out of spec and short term rentals.

I assume Baydo or Meridian’s future rentals downtown won’t be short term - which is a massive issue with our building. So many airbnb’s from regina this weekend. treating the building like a hotel during a pandemic. so disgusting.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2021, 3:14 PM

edited

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jun 7, 2021 at 5:51 PM.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2021, 3:58 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
if money is not an issue, I would definitely rent. efficient condo boards and building management in large buildings are hard to come by. I own and our building just did a cash call, we’ve switched management twice in the last few years to no avail in better quality from colliers or ICR, and we just got the worst rated fire rating in the entire province for our building. No one on our board is from saskatoon either - people are buying most condos out of spec and short term rentals.

I assume Baydo or Meridian’s future rentals downtown won’t be short term - which is a massive issue with our building. So many airbnb’s from regina this weekend. treating the building like a hotel during a pandemic. so disgusting.
Isn’t AirBnb just an easy way for property owners to turn their residences into hotels? Sounds like you need to blame the property owners instead of the people from Regina. (People from Regina traveling during the third wave of the pandemic is a whole other problem that probably isn’t limited to people from Regina).

Old Posted Apr 27, 2021, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricopedra View Post
roryn1: is airbnb inherently bad, or was your building just subject to a few dorks from Regina? Most airbnb hosts are full of pride, like any hotel trying to promote their product. I'm surprised airbnb would allow a bunch of dorks to inconvenience neighbors. I'd like to check your facts, please. How do you know every asshole in the hallway was an Airbnb guest from Regina?
Oh yeah? Well I have an absolute asshole 'property manager' from Saskatoon.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2021, 5:20 PM

Not specific to our part of the world, but an interesting video nonetheless:

Why All New Apartment Buildings Look Identical - Cheddar Explains
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrxZqPVFTag

Old Posted Apr 27, 2021, 7:19 PM

edited

Old Posted Apr 27, 2021, 8:31 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Dear Draftsman, I have several cats, and two are absolute assholes.

It's not about Regina, it's about facts and critical thinking. Cheers.

...But I've been wrong before.
It’s just a weird and offensive statement to make. I’d suggest being less of an ignorant asshole next time by not blanketing anyone visiting from Regina using an AirBnb as disgusting and perhaps try qualifying the subjects of your concerns a little better. What you posted was not born out of critical thinking at all. After all, are your intentions to stop people from Regina visiting Saskatoon? I’m sure that wouldn’t have a negative effect on your economy...

Old Posted Apr 28, 2021, 1:53 AM

This is why we don’t like reginans visiting our thread just kidding. it wasn’t anecdotal though there is in fact a lot of south to north interprovincial travel happening that is very dumb right now. https://www.ckom.com/2021/04/27/vacc...ital-capacity/

I’m also lowkey ok with it if it’s in a hotel since they sanitize efficiently and are built for it - but airbnb’s in a pandemic are very dumb imo. Legit people with multiple units in our building on multiple floors this weekend all from regina. gathering in our building via airbnb’s lol - like wut. Probably here for the children’s freedom rally

Old Posted Apr 29, 2021, 5:21 PM

edited

Old Posted Apr 29, 2021, 5:36 PM

edited

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jun 7, 2021 at 5:52 PM.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2021, 5:44 PM

edited

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jun 7, 2021 at 5:52 PM.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2021, 7:17 PM

I figure that people are just trying to keep pace with the high drama level of the Regina thread. Now that I think about that, maybe roryn’s comments do have some merit.....

Old Posted Apr 29, 2021, 9:07 PM

with all due respect, I am pretty dumb on here and none of my comments on here should mean anything nor offend anyone as they are definitely not factual. I wish I could just stick to posting nice photos and rumours of construction but I am a terribly ignorant human.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2021, 10:42 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Now that's funny!

But probably true.
I think the fact it was held in Saskatoon was pretty funny. It seems there’s idiots all over this province and not just in Regina.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2021, 10:44 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
with all due respect, I am pretty dumb on here and none of my comments on here should mean anything nor offend anyone as they are definitely not factual. I wish I could just stick to posting nice photos and rumours of construction but I am a terribly ignorant human.
You guys just can’t help but antagonize people from Regina can you? As someone who lived in both cities, I just never got it. Maybe I’m just not arrogant, hyper-competitive, and/or insecure enough to understand. Either way it’s getting old.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan