HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 2:41 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I don't know how soon soon is for the announcement, but shovels should be in ground by early spring and hoping build is done by end of 2020. 150,000 sqft. It's still fairly under wraps so I don't want to give more away, but it's a great project by a great company.

There is also a 2 storey, 280,000 sq ft office building in the development stages for Waverley West with an expected spring start.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
There is also a 2 storey, 280,000 sq ft office building in the development stages for Waverley West with an expected spring start.
That sounds terrible.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 2:46 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Much larger floor plates than the downtown Bay store.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
That sounds terrible.
Believe it or not, Winnipeg actually has a relatively small proportion of its class A/B office space outside downtown compared to other cities. As much as we would all love everything office to be downtown, having some stock outside the core isn't the worst thing in the world, especially when that particular market is already under supplied.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipegger View Post
Believe it or not, Winnipeg actually has a relatively small proportion of its class A/B office space outside downtown compared to other cities. As much as we would all love everything office to be downtown, having some stock outside the core isn't the worst thing in the world, especially when that particular market is already under supplied.
I get that there can and should be some office space in the suburbs, but that building Biff described is like the equivalent of a 15 storey building downtown. It's not a good thing to be building them that big in suburbia.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 3:13 PM

Guys, not everything HAS to be downtown, yes it helps "grow" it, but as long as these businesses stay inside City limits, I'm happy. they pay City taxes. less traffic on route 90, St Mary's, Pembina IS NOT a bad thing. I would love to walk to work and this is a reality for some that live in suburb and work in suburb. there's some really great buildings outside of downtown, like Qualico HQ, Humane Society

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
Guys, not everything HAS to be downtown, yes it helps "grow" it, but as long as these businesses stay inside City limits, I'm happy. they pay City taxes. less traffic on route 90, St Mary's, Pembina IS NOT a bad thing. I would love to walk to work and this is a reality for some that live in suburb and work in suburb. there's some really great buildings outside of downtown, like Qualico HQ, Humane Society
There are budget discussions going on that propose closing recreation facilities in the older parts of the city while building new facilities in Waverley West. If you keep feeding the sprawl beast then that's what's going to happen... more crumbling infrastructure in the West Kildonans, Fort Garrys and St. Bonifaces, while whatever money there is goes to providing the bare essentials in new areas.

It's unsustainable but we just keep letting it happen.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
Agreed, but it doesn't have to be some gross Terracon development, either.

The city is well within their rights to mandate that an office building in the suburbs of this scale still has to go vertical. There's no reason it couldn't have been a 6 story office building.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 4:58 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Expect the announcement soon of a massive new building at the U of M Smartpark, close to Pembina
man I hate smartpark.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 5:00 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
I bet it will be LEED certified and have a 500 stall parking lot.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Much larger floor plates than the downtown Bay store.
Keep in mind the challenge with the downtown Bay is not so much the square footage per floor but the rather to exterior dimensions. It is very possible that 280,000 sq ft two storey building is short and wide without excessive depth.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
I bet it will be LEED certified and have a 500 stall parking lot.
Hahaha. *sobs*

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 6:40 PM
I am the law!

http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?searchID=87160200

any corrections or others missing?

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Is this 355 Centre St?

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 6:58 PM
BANNED

who wants to live/work in waverley west? I just don't get. smells like the dump, terrible traffic, all the houses are garbage quality, whats the appeal? just that it's new? cheaper than other suburbs?

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
221-227 Stradbrook is missing, it has its own thread here.

I guess there's also 3021 Pembina which also has its own thread but construction has not yet begun and we haven't heard much about it lately.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 7:14 PM

Quote:

I guess there's also 3021 Pembina which also has its own thread but construction has not yet begun and we haven't heard much about it lately.
3021 Pembina was back at city hall last month... they are subdividing the lot into two to finance construction so that needed City approval. So it's apparently still going ahead.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 7:17 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldSmith View Post
Is this 355 Centre St?
I don't have the physical address, maybe.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
This also made me laugh...the Urban Infill Area Map....its an area that has slightly reduced requirements for certain things...Its not huge but something....it totally leaves out the rich mature neighbourhoods....f*cking River Heights and Crescentwood totally left out.

vike that is the wrong map. Since 2016 the 20% infill parking reduction applies to all Mature Communities in Winnipeg stretching south to Bishop in places. It includes River Heights, St. James, the north end, the Kildonans, old Transcona.

You can also double up with another 20% reduction for mixed use, for a total of 40% reduction, plus there are parking variances granted on top of that depending on context.

Also changed the by-law to permit mixed use on all corridors (properties zoned C1 or C2) as-of-right provided residential is above ground floor commercial.

Just wanting to add some clarity.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 8:22 PM
I am the law!

Quote:

Thanks.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan