HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Dec 24, 2017, 9:27 PM

Best I could come up with for Niagara Falls

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 10:01 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Credit: John Kuriyan

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 5:20 PM

I love San Fran (who doesn't)... one of the most beautiful cities in the world.

I also love talls and supertalls like a typical skyscraper geek.... but that photo left me sad.

That chubby carbuncle has ruined the skyline for me... doesn't belong. Don't think SF needs to aspire to being a super tall city.... it's lost it's pinnacle (Transamerica or whatever it's called now).

Of course this has nothing to do with commercial drivers/need for office space etc.

Just a silly comment about a city view lost.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maldive View Post

I also love talls and supertalls like a typical skyscraper geek.... but that photo left me sad.

That chubby carbuncle has ruined the skyline for me... doesn't belong. Don't think SF needs to aspire to being a super tall city.... it's lost it's pinnacle (Transamerica or whatever it's called now).

Of course this has nothing to do with commercial drivers/need for office space etc.

Couldn't agree more.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 5:30 PM

I'm OK with that new supertall, but will admit that I hesitated for a half-second when seeing that pic, as I momentarily couldn't identify the city. For some reason Sydney popped into my mind's eye.

SF doesn't really look like SF anymore. It's a new skyline. Not worse, but different. Transamerica, which is a gem, is now hidden.

I REALLY hope SF doesn't start putting up Vancouver-style highrises everywhere. Even the greatest SF critic would admit the city is anything but generic.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 1:04 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

NYC from Greenwich, CT (also visible, co-op city (barely) and new rochelle)

Untitled by dc_denizen, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 4:56 AM
cities|transit|croissants

Two-for-one:

Baltimore and Gaithersburg, Maryland, photographed from an airplane leaving Dulles Airport. The foreground is Virginia, near Leesburg. The river is the Potomac. Gaithersburg is in the middle ground about 15 miles distant, with Baltimore on the far horizon a solid 50 miles away. Click here for full-size version.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 5:03 AM
Future God

Quote:

I don't know if I'd personally go so far as to say that it has "ruined" the skyline, but I know what you mean. It does feel a bit like someone drew a stick figure on the Mona Lisa, doesn't it?

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 5:06 AM
Future God

This is from only about eight miles out... so not extreme distance by any means, but I still think it qualifies for this thread:

Nashville Twilight Skyline from Luke Lea Heights Scenic Overlook by Michael Hicks, on Flickr

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 7:23 PM
Desert Dweller

Downtown Phoenix from Las Sendas, about 30 miles away.

From the base of Superstition Mountain, about 50 miles away.

And from the top of Superstition Mountain, about 4,800 feet up (hard to spot, look for the dark cluster of buildings near the horizon)

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 12:50 AM

Quote:

it really depends on the vantage point. from the south, it looks very different, but composed. from the north, the "stacking" of transamerica, bofa, 345 cal, and salesforce (plus soon oceanwide) is odd and ungainly. especially when salesforce is viewed obliquely and it gets VERY fat.

on the other hand, from the northeast, transamerica and bofa have space, and salesforce and rincon hill and others make a nice (and taller) second cluster. i think it still looks like SF, but a new SF.

aerial pics by me.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 2:47 AM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post

Credit: John Kuriyan
I have yet to visit California but I will say that the skyline view with the mountains in the foreground is one of the most classic views of SF and LA. Exemplifies the Western openness surrounding urban greatness.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 2:59 AM

A couple months ago I took the tram up to the mountains but all I saw was palm springs. You probably have to hike a ways to the other side to see la. That mountain we huge. Those weren't the biggest mountains in California. They should put a telescope up there, there probably is

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 3:26 AM
A Man In Dandism

About 9 miles away

About 6 miles away

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 3:34 AM
A Man In Dandism

About 15 miles away

Zoomed in

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
About 9 miles away

About 6 miles away
Incredible. To whoever thinks SF's latest scrapers ruin the skyline, with all due respect, what the hell are you talking about!? The skyline is leaps and bounds better than say 1990. It used to look dated, but in a beautiful environment. Now it looks up to date and modern with still.....a beautiful environment.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
Incredible. To whoever thinks SF's latest scrapers ruin the skyline, with all due respect, what the hell are you talking about!? The skyline is leaps and bounds better than say 1990. It used to look dated, but in a beautiful environment. Now it looks up to date and modern with still.....a beautiful environment.
The old skyline looked far more iconic. The previous distinctiveness is lost.

"Up to date and modern" isn't a positive skyline attribute, IMO. Dallas and Vancouver don't have distinctive or interesting skylines, specifically because they're "up to date and modern".

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 1:37 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I was in Oakville (Lakeside Park) this weekend visiting my Mom, and you could clearly see the giant Toronto skyline as well as the less giant Niagara Falls skyline.

the park is here: https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Oak...!4d-79.6876659
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post

I'm with you. Keep on building. The old silhouette is now a relic. I actually won't even comment of whether the new skyline is better or worse. I just love that it's so different. There are very few things in this world where I enjoy monumental change. I love a changing skyline though.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 4:03 PM
BANNED

Maybe it's because I relished seeing the Chicago skyline periodically from the Michiana area (or even just the skyway), but this is by far my favorite thread on this forum.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions