HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 8:52 PM

This shows how the CVCs affected the design.

http://www.austintexas.gov/edims/document.cfm?id=286649

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 11:49 PM

I like this one. Kind of looks like the Ashton. I think highrises clad in brick are a nice way to diversify a skyline. I hope this and Hotel Mirabeau usher in a new wave for that area.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 1:41 PM

This project has stalled because it failed to get support for the FAR increase needed to move forward at Monday's Design Commission meeting. The vote was 5-2 in favor, but apparently a bigger majority is needed to pass.

The problem seemed to be that the ground floor is being used for co-working space for the tenants instead of retail for the public. I'm not sure what's next, but they may have to create some space for a coffee or sandwich shop. JHC. This is a blighted area, and this project was a huge improvement.

There were a couple updates on the building. It's 29-stories (no 13th floor) with three underground parking levels. The name they are currently going with is "Alexan at 11th & I-35 Residential".

Last edited by The ATX; Oct 26, 2017 at 11:59 PM.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 11:30 PM

^I hope it does end up including some kind of neighborhood oriented retail. Buildings without walk-in, public-type purposes such as retail on the ground floor tend to drain a neighborhood of character, even if it's adding people to the neighborhood in the tower.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 11:32 PM

The site plan went inactive today which means they are probably making tweaks to it before making another attempt at getting the density bonus.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...ertyrsn=879254

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
This project has stalled because it failed to get support for the FAR increase needed to move forward at Monday's Design Commission meeting. The vote was 5-2 in favor, but apparently a bigger majority is needed to pass.

The problem seemed to be that the ground floor is being used for co-working space for the tenants instead of retail for the public. I'm not sure what's next, but they may have to create some space for a coffee or sandwich shop. JHC. This is a blighted area, and this project was a huge improvement.

There were a couple updates on the building. It's 29-stories (no 13th floor) with three underground parking levels. The name they are currently going with is "Alexan at 11th & I-35 Residential".
Blighted? A bit overstated? ;-)
At anycase.... still has to be developed right. We are not desperate for new buildings...especially kinda conservative bland ones like this one. I'm glad they are being held to some standards. !!!!

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Blighted? A bit overstated? ;-)
At anycase.... still has to be developed right. We are not desperate for new buildings...especially kinda conservative bland ones like this one. I'm glad they are being held to some standards. !!!!
"Blighted" was a term used to describe the area at the Design Commission meeting. The ~hour long presentation and discussion about this is online now on the Design Commission website. It was more interesting than most meetings of this type.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2017, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
"Blighted" was a term used to describe the area at the Design Commission meeting. The ~hour long presentation and discussion about this is online now on the Design Commission website. It was more interesting than most meetings of this type.
It needed 6 votes. The vote requires a minimum quorum of 6 commissioners. 7 were present. The 1st floor use squabble seemed to have nothing to do with the density bonus. They were getting hung up on the use of the word WeWorks Space. It seemed silly. It sounded like misunderstanding of what was proposed for that space.

Anyway, it goes to Staff level now where basically one person can wave their hand and bless this project.

With the 5-2 vote over such a minor squabble it's hard to not see this project get the density it needs.

Calling this area blighted is just incorrect and misinformed. Waterloo Park is nearby along with a full Sheraton Hotel and Avis Rental amd many Tenants in the building that will be razed to make room for this tower.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2017, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Dandy View Post
Anyway, it goes to Staff level now where basically one person can wave their hand and bless this project.
That must be how 405 Colorado got approved for the density bonus. That project didn't fare well during its two Design Commission meetings because of the amount of parking.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 2:44 PM

Quote:
It needed 6 votes. The vote requires a minimum quorum of 6 commissioners. 7 were present. The 1st floor use squabble seemed to have nothing to do with the density bonus. They were getting hung up on the use of the word WeWorks Space. It seemed silly. It sounded like misunderstanding of what was proposed for that space.

With the 5-2 vote over such a minor squabble it's hard to not see this project get the density it needs.

Calling this area blighted is just incorrect and misinformed. Waterloo Park is nearby along with a full Sheraton Hotel and Avis Rental amd many Tenants in the building that will be razed to make room for this tower.
It's not really blighted, but it is pretty dead.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
It's not really blighted, but it is pretty dead.
Yes, and this project will increase pedestrian activity by 1000% in that there is no street activity currently.

The ATXN video of the hearing discusses the 3 Gatekeeper requirements the project must go through to get the additional density.

This one commissioner wants a coffee shop which will not increase street activity. The overall building will create street activation. The commissioner actually said he was against the whole project since there will be no coffee shop. His comments are comical. The street level space is for building residents work space as well as a 2000SF leasing office.

At a 15:1 FAR, most of the density already comes with the site.

The planning director at Staff level should approve the project. They want the $260,000.00 towards affordable housing. The project itself along with other Waller Creek area upgrades will activate the street. The Director will not kill this incredible project because there wont be a coffee shop.

One of the two commissoners opposing is Conor Kenny. He should open the coffee shop. This is ridiculous. Lets hold up a $50mm project and forego $260,000.00 to the city for affordable housing for a COFFEE SHOP. How irresponsible. Don't you think Austin has enough coffee shops or crappy little retail shops?

The 5 commisoners that voted yes were strongly for the project. They loved the concept of workspace on the 1st floor. The one comissioner correctly pointed out that the intent of the Urban Design Guideline is not to require each and every new project to have a coffee shop or public space component.

Last edited by Jim Dandy; Oct 31, 2017 at 11:28 PM.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 12:35 AM
World Traveler

I mean, I love a coffee shop as much as the next guy, but it's no reason to stop a development...

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 9:11 PM

The properties to the North and West of this lot just went up for sale by Velocity Credit Union.

Quote:
A prime redevelopment opportunity near the Texas Capitol has hit the market with Austin-based Velocity Credit Union putting properties at 610 E. 11th St. and 705 E. 12th St. up for bids.

Aquila Commercial has the listing for the two parcels, which could be redeveloped as a mid-rise and high-rise mixed-use project.
And you'll never guess who did conceptual plans for the site as part of the offering...Gensler.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 11:12 PM

Any update on this project?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 3:19 AM
JACKinBeantown

They should just name the building "Capitol Dome and Downtown Skyline View."

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 7:53 AM

Interesting post since the building will have neither.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2018, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Interesting post since the building will have neither.
Um, definitely looks like it will:

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 3:11 PM

Umm, like I said, no Dome and no views. The building faces are dead North South....the arrows you drew were off a spun view of the rendering. Sorry.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Umm, like I said, no Dome and no views. The building faces are dead North South....the arrows you drew were off a spun view of the rendering. Sorry.
Man, people standing on a balcony can look left or right....

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 5:38 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckos_Rule View Post
Man, people standing on a balcony can look left or right....
I was shown an apartment in New York where the realtor had me stand in a corner of the room and crane my head to see the ESB. This is that

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin