HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justabusinessstudent View Post
Hi all! Been reading these forums for a while now and just recently decided to create an account. An absolute complete change of topic, but does anyone have any info as to the construction/development of any of the Cannabis Retail stores?

Very interested in it business and development wise.

Cheers!
Thank you for asking a construction related question - that's a real breath of fresh air (pardon the cannabis pun).

I haven't seen the specs on any of the proposed cannabis retail outlets, but have some familiarity with the new production facilities. Frankly, I wouldn't expect the cannabis stores to be a great deal different than a typical retail store, other than a higher level of security - both in construction materials and electronic monitoring. They will likely be similar in nature to private liquor outlets, though their product will be more desirable to potential theives.

Myself, I'm curious to see what type of fire protection systems they will utilize. A fire at one of those places will likely draw a crowd...

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 10:10 PM

I live in Varsity View area and just got our community association newsletter. The newsletter has article stating a public consultation meeting is being held in September regarding a proposal to re-zone parcel of land at College and Clarence for a 12 storey 171 unit high rise with 4 below grade parking levels!

I would so love to see that empty lot developed. Just hope all the NIMBY's don't out number those of us who favour core density!

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
I live in Varsity View area and just got our community association newsletter. The newsletter has article stating a public consultation meeting is being held in September regarding a proposal to re-zone parcel of land at College and Clarence for a 12 storey 171 unit high rise with 4 below grade parking levels!

I would so love to see that empty lot developed. Just hope all the NIMBY's don't out number those of us who favour core density!
I think we will be ok on that parcel. I cant see too many people raising concerns over that specific spot. If it does get a go ahead, its about time.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 10:30 PM

Quote:

If this is in reference to the empty lot beside Ronald McDonald House I would hope the proposal looks good being on a prominent corner. The height seems ok for the location. What existed there previously was hideous haha. I'm not sure why anyone would oppose it, but there are always those types out there. I don't believe a dense building would block anyone's views in that location, and is along two busy roadways. If you go to the consultation meeting and there are renderings of the proposal, take photos please.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2018, 1:52 AM

Cannabis shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
Thank you for asking a construction related question - that's a real breath of fresh air (pardon the cannabis pun).

I haven't seen the specs on any of the proposed cannabis retail outlets, but have some familiarity with the new production facilities. Frankly, I wouldn't expect the cannabis stores to be a great deal different than a typical retail store, other than a higher level of security - both in construction materials and electronic monitoring. They will likely be similar in nature to private liquor outlets, though their product will be more desirable to potential theives.

Myself, I'm curious to see what type of fire protection systems they will utilize. A fire at one of those places will likely draw a crowd...
The comment on a fire presents another interesting concern. Do the public enjoy watching the fire but more important it creates a whole new problem in firefighting. One of the many things that we don't thing about. Thanks for mentioning that.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2018, 2:21 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowest View Post
The comment on a fire presents another interesting concern. Do the public enjoy watching the fire but more important it creates a whole new problem in firefighting. One of the many things that we don't thing about. Thanks for mentioning that.
I’m sure plastic, cleaners, insulation, paint, etc are a lot worse for firefighters than cannabis lol.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2018, 2:42 AM

Quote:

If I’m correct Ellen Remai owns that lot - who loves to develop hotels over condos if I know right? Maybe a nice hotel will go there! I personally wouldn’t like to live next to such a noisy corner to matter how soundproof the windows are..

Old Posted Sep 1, 2018, 2:47 AM

Here’s the new Leopoldo’s and a strip mall attached going in Rosewood if I’m correct?

Old Posted Sep 1, 2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
Here’s the new Leopoldo’s and a strip mall attached going in Rosewood if I’m correct?
I believe its evergreen. Rosewood already has Leopolds Tavern and a mini strip mall.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2018, 1:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post

Thanks for the response Crisis. Sure going to be interesting all around, might do some investigating around the city tonight to see if I can find any of the places.

As per Leopold's:
Leopold's seems to be doing a lot of expanding lately, this is definitely the new Evergreen location that they just announced: https://www.instagram.com/p/BnCzeHLn...leopoldstavern

That will make Leopold's ninth (9th) location I believe. Pretty good for a couple of Saskatchewanites. http://leosgroup.ca/

Old Posted Sep 3, 2018, 12:01 AM

Quote:
If I’m correct Ellen Remai owns that lot - who loves to develop hotels over condos if I know right? Maybe a nice hotel will go there! I personally wouldn’t like to live next to such a noisy corner to matter how soundproof the windows are..
see page 53 and 61 looks like condo alright

https://pub-saskatoon.escribemeeting...cumentId=62709

Old Posted Sep 3, 2018, 5:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bess View Post
see page 53 and 61 looks like condo alright

https://pub-saskatoon.escribemeeting...cumentId=62709
Oh no North Prairie Developments owns it apparently. Hopefully it’s not Shangri la quality again

Old Posted Sep 3, 2018, 3:19 PM

I bet that is exactly what they will do! blah......

Old Posted Sep 3, 2018, 11:17 PM

Here’s an unfortunate article ... their main reason for moving is the better climate. Any real thoughts on how to keep these companies in town? Our Innovatuon Place on campus has a pretty nice indoor setting but Kelowna’s apparently is downtown... you’d think the U of S has better services than UBCO to further their product - I know San Fransisco just banned this type of bioplastic since it doesn’t actually biodegrade.

Saskatoon based company moving manufacturing to Kelowna:
https://thestarphoenix.com/news/loca...d-4c4c559cef99

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 5:01 AM

Quote:
Here’s an unfortunate article ... their main reason for moving is the better climate. Any real thoughts on how to keep these companies in town? Our Innovatuon Place on campus has a pretty nice indoor setting but Kelowna’s apparently is downtown... you’d think the U of S has better services than UBCO to further their product - I know San Fransisco just banned this type of bioplastic since it doesn’t actually biodegrade.

Sad to see home grown companies like that leave Saskatoon. Innovation place has a different vibe than other places.

In Victoria VIATEC is the local incubator, it is downtown in an old refurbished brick building. Most of the start up have migrated into the downtown core. The only ones that are sticking to the innovation park in Victoria are the ones the need special facilities. VIATEC is also more decoupled from the university than innovation place is in Saskatoon. In Vancouver, SFU has pretty much put all its programs targeting startups into the downtown core. This creates a very tech focused downtown.

I have been in that complex in Kelowna but don't know much about it. As for UBCO I don't think there is a strong competitive advantage one way or the other over the UofS. Sounds like they just want to have a university they can collaborate with.

I was talking to the person in charge of food procurement at UBC about two years ago. They stopped using the black bio-degradable utensils and plates because their research showed it did not biodegrade and there was no sense paying extra for it.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 3:17 PM

Quote:

Kelowna's winter's aren't actually all that nice. Not as cold as ours obviously, but pretty gloomy. I think a lot of people get surprised by this.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Kelowna's winter's aren't actually all that nice. Not as cold as ours obviously, but pretty gloomy. I think a lot of people get surprised by this.
But they are short, and there are ski hills. And despite a couple frigid -15C days, it stays pretty moderate which is why the lake doesn't even freeze. Anyways, I know Jeremy and his family, I'm sure they're going to love the Okanagan.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 5:05 PM

I have had 10 family members move to Kelowna in the last 8 years (bw my family and my wifes). They all love it, but they do comment about the adjustment to lack of sunshine in winter and also the "new norm" of smoked out summers from wildfires(3 consecutive years now)...they also try and plan get aways out of kelowna back to Sask in summer, as it gets crazy busy/crowded there in the summer.

What that news story does emphasize is the importance of Saskatoon needing to provide the best possible quality of life options for residents/businesses to overcome our either real (or perceived) negative climate. This means downtown arenas, libraries, pro sports, cultural amenities, winter activities and amenities, art galleries, professional theatre, etc. We have some of this, but need to add more and improve on what we have. It is called "investing" in your city for the future!

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 5:39 PM

I think they will find out why people in BC affectionately state that the abbreviation stands for bring cash.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 5:47 PM

Although it is depressing that a local company would move but businesses do it all the time don't they. BHP did move from Vancouver to Saskatoon, although they weren't local to Vancouver, I am sure they looked at the climate here in their research. He could have built his business up so he could sell it or have if it became successful he could have lived in Kelowna with his business here and small branch there. Maybe like Vecima does.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan