HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 15, 2019, 4:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
it would have done 10x more for street safety and activity to have all of the restaurants in different retail spaces on the street.. it’s just another gated area, bad city building and bad planning
But would the restaurants have survived on their own? A japanese restaurant, coffee shop, and brewery opening up one by one doesn't raise many eyebrows... put them all together with a few more options, in a cool new space in what's promised to be the new "core" of downtown Winnipeg — and suddenly you've got hype. That hype will be an essential part of all of their success

Old Posted Dec 15, 2019, 5:51 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity Wins View Post
But would the restaurants have survived on their own? A japanese restaurant, coffee shop, and brewery opening up one by one doesn't raise many eyebrows... put them all together with a few more options, in a cool new space in what's promised to be the new "core" of downtown Winnipeg — and suddenly you've got hype. That hype will be an essential part of all of their success
They’re not full-service restaurants. The concept of these paces is usually to get an existing restaurant to open a counter operation that serves a stripped down version of the main restaurant’s menu. So it builds on the infrastructure that the restaurant already has, keeping costs down. To open full-service stand-alone second locations downtown would be a far bigger deal for them, with a much higher degree of risk.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2019, 6:15 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

While I could afford F+H's $2 coffee on Saturday, I passed on the $3.50 blueberry scone and $4 blueberry muffin, just like I won't spend $3 on a "gourmet" a doughnut on Broadway. There were no other and no cheaper carb. options available.

Last edited by LilZebra; Dec 15, 2019 at 5:46 PM.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2019, 4:59 PM

Gusto North is a full service sit down, just like Passero. They also have a bar on the market side that you can just get pizza from.

Went back last night with my parents. One glaring omission here: no dessert spots. Forks has mini donuts, ice cream, chocolates, etc – hopefully some of the kiosks at HSM add some dessert options as many will want some with their wine or drinks after dinner.

Other thing that dawned on me is how stupid of a location for the LC it is. Up on the second floor of 225 Carlton. Way less easy to get to than the city place one. And I’ve heard they want to close the Ellice one due to theft now...

Old Posted Dec 15, 2019, 5:04 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post

Other thing that dawned on me is how stupid of a location for the LC it is. Up on the second floor of 225 Carlton. Way less easy to get to than the city place one. And I’ve heard they want to close the Ellice one due to theft now...
Most likely deliberate to help counter grab and run theft and loitering
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Last edited by Biff; Dec 16, 2019 at 2:41 PM.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2019, 6:35 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Most likely deliberate to help counter grab an run theft and loitering
The second level will probably be a lot busier once the connection to the hotel and the Convention Centre is in place.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2019, 7:16 PM
Winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
The second level will probably be a lot busier once the connection to the hotel and the Convention Centre is in place.
I totally forgot how much Sutton Place will contribute to Hargrave Market's customer count

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 3:25 PM

Quote:
It's kind of cool walking by on Carlton, looking up and seeing that second level MLCC location, but it does seem kind of out of the way. I think out of sight, out of mind will be a factor there.

Anyway, how does one access the food area from the skywalk? When I've taken the skywalk from cityplace it seems pretty closed off... it looks as though traffic is funneled to the elevator/stairs to street level and the parkade.

From what I can see in the photos it looks nice, but will it really have staying power to keep drawing people, especially when it's kind of tucked away upstairs as it is?

Also, the Tavern United space is really lame compared to the building's potential... the problem is that as buzzg said, CanadInns has no ability to do it better. Everything they do ends up being like the Giant Tiger of the hospitality and restaurant business. They'd need to partner up with someone like TNSE to realize the potential of that space. I guess TNSE has a vested interest in doing that since they get a cut of the VLT revenues, don't they? After 15 years it's time for a refresh anyway.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 3:31 PM

It's on the same level as the skywalk. Seems okay to me.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Anyway, how does one access the food area from the skywalk? When I've taken the skywalk from cityplace it seems pretty closed off... it looks as though traffic is funneled to the elevator/stairs to street level and the parkade.

From what I can see in the photos it looks nice, but will it really have staying power to keep drawing people, especially when it's kind of tucked away upstairs as it is?

Also, the Tavern United space is really lame compared to the building's potential... the problem is that as buzzg said, CanadInns has no ability to do it better. Everything they do ends up being like the Giant Tiger of the hospitality and restaurant business. They'd need to partner up with someone like TNSE to realize the potential of that space. I guess TNSE has a vested interest in doing that since they get a cut of the VLT revenues, don't they? After 15 years it's time for a refresh anyway.
You take the Skywalk from cityplace to TNS, but turn left off of it to enter 242 Hargrave as opposed to continuing through to 225 Carlton (and eventually SP/RBCCC). You can also access from the 242 lobby and take the elevator up to the entrance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
It's on the same level as the skywalk. Seems okay to me.
It is on the second floor of 242 Hargrave, but it's not really on the skywalk, it's right in the building. Unlike cityplace food court which the Skywalk literally goes through. You would have to know HSM exists to find it from the Skywalk system.

Hopefully the city adds "proper" Walkway signage to cityplace signalling the skywalk to TNS, as there's no signage yet, you just have to know those doors in the mall lead there. I have little faith though as some of the Walkway signage has been "updated" recently and is actually incorrect (can't even get colour coding right). Some of it still outdated too – still says Post Office Building entering PSB, and even a few MTS Centre ones hanging around.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 4:01 PM

Giant Tiger is great. They keep other grocers in line in terms of prices. They have the best milk, from Quebec, and it's kept in a proper cooler unlike other grocers who think open air coolers are good enough.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 4:32 PM

Quote:
CanadInns has opened at least 3 new Taverns in the last three years, all with the same exact awful design, menu, and service that they opened the downtown one with over a decade ago.
I am not an expert on CandaInns/Tavern menus but I do know the menu changes fairly constantly. I need to attend meetings about once a month after work at their facilities and grab a quick bite there with my team between work and the meeting. An example of the menu changes is that at some point in roughly the last five years they had a delicious bison burger on the menu that is sadly gone. They have changed up the burgers a third time recently adding the trendy plant based option.

In terms of the design of the space, say what you want about your personal feelings on it but that they took what was a one off project and have basically been copying the design across all their sites suggests it is working fairly well at bringing in a consistent stream of revenue for them.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
I am not an expert on CandaInns/Tavern menus but I do know the menu changes fairly constantly. I need to attend meetings about once a month after work at their facilities and grab a quick bite there with my team between work and the meeting. An example of the menu changes is that at some point in roughly the last five years they had a delicious bison burger on the menu that is sadly gone. They have changed up the burgers a third time recently adding the trendy plant based option.

In terms of the design of the space, say what you want about your personal feelings on it but that they took what was a one off project and have basically been copying the design across all their sites suggests it is working fairly well at bringing in a consistent stream of revenue for them.
They do minor quarterly changes and it is 90% based on changes of their suppliers – I know, I used to work there. This is why there is no Bison burger anymore. They like to use as few suppliers as possible, so if their meat suppliers stopped having Bison, they won't go looking for it somewhere else.

When I was there we switched chicken suppliers – and it was disgusting. The new chicken for nachos and quesadillas was pre-cooked and revolting, so rubbery. After 2 months there was so many complaints they had to switch back.

In terms of the locations – it wasn't ever intended to be a one-off, they opened 4 at around the same time. Downtown, Garden City, Brandon, Grand Forks were all purpose-built as Taverns. Then, when their megaclubs were failing, they converted some of them to Taverns to try and generate revenue on weekdays. I'm sure they're doing a bit better than the clubs, but probably not by much. What some have going for them is there's often not many other places around them to catch a game, which is why downtown is so dead – it's by far the worst of many places to go.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 6:06 PM

Personally I love the Tavern's, acceptable food, and drinks, plenty of TVs to watch the games and the big draw for me are the pool tables and dart boards to pass the time between periods.

This is much less of a draw for the Tavern Downtown since there are plenty of other options that are better around there. I think BellMTS not allowing patrons to leave really hurt them.

I love busing down to the Tavern on Pembina during NHL playoffs. Pints, food, playoffs hockey and games make for a great atmosphere.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 7:03 PM

Running to the Tavern or Shark-club for a quick beer between periods seemed crazy.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertocarlos View Post
Running to the Tavern or Shark-club for a quick beer between periods seemed crazy.
It made for an exciting night in my early 20s. A shot, a beer and a quick 10-20 dollars in VLT's to try and win our drink money back before heading back.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 7:43 PM

Directly on the skywalk system or directly accessible from street level or not, I think as long as there is one big simple and obvious entry point from street level, it should do just fine.

Based on the pictures shared on this thread, and everything I've heard from people involved, it sounds great. But I'm holding back on having an opinion on the place until I see how easy it is to find from the public environment.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
It made for an exciting night in my early 20s. A shot, a beer and a quick 10-20 dollars in VLT's to try and win our drink money back before heading back.
OK. I've done worse.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Downtown, Garden City, Brandon, Grand Forks were all purpose-built as Taverns.
I know 100% that Garden City was a conversion of their nightclub Zax's into Tavern. And pretty high confidence levels that both Brandon and Grand Forks were also conversions.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 11:46 PM

A look at the new Ceridian Space at True North Square.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B6JJ_01ABid/

Winnipeg | A Picture Thread - Updated October 2023

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan