HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Sep 30, 2014, 6:33 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Here's another one for 78745. I think we've posted about it before, but it's been a while.

5100 South Congress - this is planned for a vacant lot near Ramble Lane about a half mile north of Stassney Lane.

5100 South Congress. The building elevations are listed. The tallest building is shown as 54 feet with 4 floors.

https://www.austintexas.gov/devrevie...erRSN=10863945

Streetview
https://www.google.com/maps/@30.2095...l6NIIEOovg!2e0

I'm hoping they work on the street through there. That stretch of South Congress can be scary at times.
This is under construction now with the first floor columns up.

They're calling it "Jefferson at South Congress". Here's the rendering:

http://jpi.com/developments/current-...outh-congress/

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Oct 8, 2014, 6:36 AM
Meh

Soco @ St. Elmo.

There are a few more renderings at this link, including an aerial one.

http://www.austintexas.gov/edims/document.cfm?id=217203

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Soco @ St. Elmo.

There are a few more renderings at this link, including an aerial one.

http://www.austintexas.gov/edims/document.cfm?id=217203
This development also on the city council agenda today, Items 36 and 37

36:
Quote:
Conduct a public hearing and approve an ordinance amending
the South Congress Combined Neighborhood Plan, an element of the Imagine Austin Comprehensive Plan, to
change the land use designation on the future land use map (FLUM) on property locally known as 113 Industrial
Boulevard, 4323 South Congress Avenue and the 4300 Block of Willow Springs Road (East Bouldin Creek
Watershed; Williamson Creek Watershed) from Industry to Mixed Use land use. Staff Recommendation: To deny
Mixed Use land use. Planning Commission Recommendation: To grant Mixed Use land use.
37:
Quote:
[Similar, different zoning overlays] Planning
Commission Recommendation: To grant limited industrial services-planned development area-neighborhood plan
(LI-PDA-NP) combining district zoning, with conditions.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 5:04 PM

NIMBYs! Since it's behind the paywall, I've snipped and quoted some of the interesting parts.

Austin American-Statesman
St. Elmo’s project pits Austin’s housing goals against industrial needs
http://www.statesman.com/news/news/l...-agains/nh2JS/

Quote:
A Dallas-based firm wants the city to rezone 9½ acres of an industrial area just off South Congress Avenue to make way for a $100 million mixed-use project. But the project has ignited a firestorm of opposition from some nearby businesses and residents
Quote:
The Austin City Council has already given tentative approval to the project, with a second vote set for Thursday.

But the project has ignited a firestorm of opposition from some nearby businesses and residents. In an unusual twist on the not-in-my-backyard phenomenon, these neighbors want the noisy trucks and manufacturing businesses to stay.

Opponents worry that the proposed St. Elmo’s Market and Lofts — which calls for a 75-room boutique hotel, up to 200 condominiums, office space and a food hall — will drive up property taxes, add to traffic congestion and be out of place in the heavily industrial area.

“The development itself is fine, it’s a good concept, it’s just in the wrong place,” said Michael Fossum, a 60-year-old resident of the 200-home Battle Bend Springs neighborhood, which is a half-mile south of the industrial area.
Quote:
Brandon Bolin, founder and CEO of GroundFloor Development, contends that the project will enhance the area and is the epitome of what Austin is trying to achieve with its long-range growth plan calling for building denser housing along busy roads.

Bolin said most of the condos would be priced at less than $300,000, and 40 percent would be priced at less than $200,000. He said he is considering having 10 percent of the units at below-market rates.

The “heart and soul” of the project would be a food hall with 20 to 40 vendors in a 1955 warehouse that currently is being used to sell furniture in bulk. The restored warehouse would be modeled after other food markets found worldwide, including the Market of San Miguel in Madrid, Chelsea Market in New York City, Ferry Plaza Farmers Market in San Francisco and Pike Place Market in Seattle.

Live music would be another focal point. Joe Ables, owner of the Saxon Pub on South Lamar Boulevard, told the City Council that he wants to move his music venue to the proposed St. Elmo’s project.

Bolin hopes to break ground on the food market in early 2016 and open it a year later. The office space and condos could also break ground in 2016. GroundFloor wouldn’t purchase the land until late 2015, and it intends to bring on partners to develop the various components.

Bolin said his project will add more than 2,000 jobs to the area.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 11:06 PM
Meh

My reaction to that is it sure is nice of them to think of the rats and roaches. I have never thought having an industrial area abutting a residential area is an attractive idea, but apparently these people are cool with it. I think it's kind of ridiculous to have industrial uses along Congress that far north. Still, the lot they're wanting is set back from the street. Does it not front Congress? The map above doesn't seem to indicate it.

I'm serious about the rats and roaches comment. We've taken our metal to recycle to that CMC recycling place on St. Elmo, and I have actually had roaches crawl across my foot. Pretty gross. Not to mention, I'm sure the ground is contaminated with all kinds of automotive chemicals since I've seen wrecked cars sitting in the recycling yard. I don't think they crush cars there anymore, but they do have them on the property before hauling them off on 18-wheelers. I do remember as a kid seeing them picking up cars and putting them on a conveyer machine to be crushed/shredded. The place is also littered with metal shards. You're lucky every time you go and don't get a flat tire.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Mar 7, 2015, 7:12 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Update on the St. Elmo project: http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/bl...th-austin.html

Quote:
GroundFloor Development has big plans for its St. Elmo's Market and Lofts in South Austin, with hopes of turning the ambitious project into a hub for creative businesses that could gain a reputation as a smaller version of Nashville's Music Row.

Company officials told Austin Business Journal that interviews are underway with brokerage firms that would recruit music-focused businesses in Austin and major music centers including Nashville, Los Angeles and New York, with hopes of opening satellite offices in Austin.

Brandon Bolin, GroundFloor's founder and CEO, said music-focused technology, publishing, marketing, publicity, nonprofits and retail operations are among the tenant types envisioned for the development's 200,000 square feet of office space. He said his company is already negotiating with possible anchor tenants for the office space, which is expected to be completed by early 2018, if not sooner.

Old Posted May 21, 2015, 7:58 PM
Meh

They're planning an 80 room comfort suites hotel at 5001 South Interstate 35. It'll be a continuation of "hotel row" along South I-35 (east side).

https://www.austintexas.gov/devrevie...erRSN=11337322

It's suburban cheese, but it's infill for a vacant lot, and at least it's not another car dealership.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted May 21, 2015, 11:19 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
They're planning an 80 room comfort suites hotel at 5001 South Interstate 35. It'll be a continuation of "hotel row" along South I-35 (east side).

https://www.austintexas.gov/devrevie...erRSN=11337322

It's suburban cheese, but it's infill for a vacant lot, and at least it's not another car dealership.
Is this replacing one of the parking lot areas in front of Walmart or going in the vacant, wooded lot immediately to the north? Google Earth puts the pin down right at the intersection of Terri Rd. and the NB frontage road, so it's a bit ambiguous to me.

Reason I ask is I hope they don't cut down a good size wooded area for a lame cookie-cutter hotel.

Old Posted May 21, 2015, 11:46 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
Is this replacing one of the parking lot areas in front of Walmart or going in the vacant, wooded lot immediately to the north? Google Earth puts the pin down right at the intersection of Terri Rd. and the NB frontage road, so it's a bit ambiguous to me.

Reason I ask is I hope they don't cut down a good size wooded area for a lame cookie-cutter hotel.
I assumed it would be that vacant wooded lot, but now that you mention it it does say on the permit page that it's part of the Walmart SUBD, which I take as meaning it's part of the Walmart property.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted May 23, 2015, 1:20 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
I assumed it would be that vacant wooded lot, but now that you mention it it does say on the permit page that it's part of the Walmart SUBD, which I take as meaning it's part of the Walmart property.
That's what I was thinking, too. In Google Earth, at least, there is the northwest corner section of the parking lot that seems like it'd be easy to separate from the rest of the parking area.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2015, 8:38 AM

More detailed renders of St. Elmo Public Market

http://groundfloordev.com/mixed-use/st-elmo/

Old Posted Sep 11, 2015, 8:49 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Love it!

This is going to be pretty close to me.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2015, 8:57 PM
Meh

That looks sweet.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Sep 12, 2015, 6:02 PM

^sure is, I hope they include a music venue! Also, I didn't see a start date.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2015, 5:48 PM
Meh

They posted the site plan for the South Urban Lofts project. This is located at 4361 South Congress just a block south of the St. Elmo Market. It's at Congress and St. Elmo Street where the old St. Elmo-Tel.

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/...0Ave_PLANS.pdf

The elevations show it to be 83 feet to the roof with 6 floors.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 9:21 PM
Meh

A site plan was filed for "Sofi Apartments" - a milti-unit apartment building at 6311 South First Street just north of Eberhart Lane. This is in my neighborhood. I ride my bike past there nearly every day. It's currently a vacant field.

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/...ents_PLANS.pdf

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jul 28, 2016, 7:38 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

South Austin Hospital will be adding 3 new floors to their tower. Construction start is slated for September. My father works there and went to a meeting this afternoon where it was mentioned. That will bring the floor count to 10.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2016, 3:42 AM
Meh

The Saint Elmo Market project has financing now.

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/ne...ect-moves.html

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Sep 13, 2016, 11:41 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Not exactly 78745, but South Congress...

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/busi...all-bus/nsT6x/

Quote:
Plans are in the works for a mixed-use project on Congress, south of downtown Austin, on several properties that now are home to everything from the popular Doc’s Bar & Grill to a movie-monster wax museum.

Documents filed with the city of Austin say the project is planned for a 1.5-acre site encompassing five lots from 1011 South Congress Ave. to 1123 South Congress Ave. The properties are valued at $7.6 million by the Travis Central Appraisal District.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2016, 1:23 AM
Meh

^The cool thing is, minus the free views that won't be, is the parking garage will be underground - all 4 floors.

Thou shall not indict

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin