HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 19, 2010, 7:32 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

we do have quite the history though

Old Posted Jan 19, 2010, 7:36 PM

Fashion and winter can get along just fine and there are great examples of people who utilize this right here in Winnipeg. All you have to do is take a simple walk at the University during the break between classes to realize that there are large amounts of people with great style even during some of the, or at least what used to be, the coldest months of the year. I think we can all take fashionable tips from the Asian community most notably, because they definitely have a keen eye for what looks good without sacrificing warmth (most of the time).

I think it really depends on where you go if you want to determine if what people are wearing is fashionable or not. I don't think you can classify an entire cities fashion sense based on individuals in specific areas along busy thoroughfares. You urbanites should head to a suburban mall, educational institute, or office park. Then you'll see what you would call "fashionable" individuals.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2010, 7:39 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

this city is in a geniration shift right now so its going to be interesting to watch

Old Posted Jan 19, 2010, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Now this isn't world class discussion.
I like this.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2010, 8:58 PM

What ever happened to live and let live? I never considered Winnipeg's lack of pretentiousness to be a negative quality. I don't think there is any empirical evidence to suggest that Edmonton, Regina or Minneapolis is by any measure 'better dressed'. Would a yuppie costume - a $6 London Fog from Starbucks and a Harry Rosen ensemble - suddenly make the citizens of this city better people, and this city a more desirable place to be? On one hand, we want to celebrate the soul and character of this city, and on the other hand, we're supposed to dress like every Bay Street drone? Hollywood largesse and Parisian pompousness are not attributes I aspire to attain. Seriously? Custom designed, premium priced furniture? I would never judge someone based on the amount of odours of rich mahogany eminating from their living quarters. Apparently if you aren't a metrosexual male urbanite, you aren't a desirable male? If you like cars, you're undesirable. If you don't want to live in an innercity 'hood, you're undesirable? Am I okay, even though I don't get my eyebrows plucked? Just wondering. If you don't support ostentatious social programs, and pandering to ethnic interest, you aren't desirable? My goodness. I'm surprised some of you guys aren't knocking at my door, offering me a price to leave town tomorrow morning, because it appears I have the incurable viral ugly-Winnipeg infection.

As well, the girl next door, ain't the girl next door if she trades pyjama pants and a pony tail for stilettos and a red dress. Jus' sayin'.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2010, 11:11 PM
I Like It When You Hit Me

Take a trip to Russia.

They're poor. They're cold. And they dress exquisitely.

It can be done. Its rooted in pride and self-confidence.

You don't have to dress like a dull, douchey Calgary businessperson.

It just requires care, attention and creativity.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2010, 11:21 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pootkao View Post
Take a trip to Russia.

They're poor. They're cold. And they dress exquisitely.

It can be done. Its rooted in pride and self-confidence.

You don't have to dress like a dull, douchey Calgary businessperson.

It just requires care, attention and creativity.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 12:31 AM

Yawn... You guys have nothing else to worry about? Geeze. You're just like gossiping old ladies...

I think some people are never happy unless they are picking at old scabs. Leave it alone already.

/rant...

Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 5:40 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pootkao View Post
If Winnipeg were "world class", it wouldn't feel the need to trumpet its every miniscule accomplishment as such. Does Rome? Does Amsterdam? Does New York? Does Montreal? Does San Francisco? Only the desperate declare their efforts "world class."

If Winnipeg were "world class", the Downtown BIZ and CentreVenture wouldn't exist and every surface parking lot downtown would be replaced by a mixed-use 3-6 story building of architectural repute.

If Winnipeg were "world class", the residents of suburban Winnipeg would be clamouring to live downtown because they weren't at the centre of a fashionable, creative and vibrant city.

If Winnipeg were "world class", Portage Avenue would be packed with people day and night.

If Winnipeg were "world class", cruise night would not be tolerated.

If Winnipeg were "world class", people would greet IKEA's arrival with a yawn, pointing out the one-of-a-kind custom-designed furniture they paid a premium for.

If Winnipeg were "world class", neither the hypocritical suburban-teet-sucking provincial NDP nor the imagination-deprived provincial Tories would have any say whatsoever in the fate of this city.

If Winnipeg were "world class", we wouldn't be discussing a police helicopter, we would be discussing how better to educate, encourage and befriend our disadvantaged youth.

If Winnipeg were "world class", Sam Katz wouldn't be mayor.

If Winnipeg were "world class", it would celebrate its big thinkers and its innovators, not ostracize them.

If Winnipeg were "world class", the NDP would lose the next election because of both Waverly West and Crocus.

If Winnipeg were "world class", Manitoba Homecoming wouldn't exist.

If Winnipeg were "world class", you'd dress better.

If Winnipeg were "world class", people would flee southwest Winnipeg, instead of flocking to it.

If Winnipeg were "world class", it would acknowledge the racism of its police force.

If Winnipeg were "world class", it would stop treating aboriginals like second-class citizens.

If Winnipeg were "world class", the barriers at Portage & Main would've been torn down by now.

If Winnipeg were "world class", you wouldn't care about parking because you'd sell your car and ride rapid transit.

If Winnipeg were "world class", I wouldn't have to write this.

how did i get this list in an e-mail from an address that i've never seen before?

i actually like cruise night.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 6:04 AM

the winter scenery all day today was one of the ULTIMATE world class things winnipeg can do with ease.. too bad i couldn't get out there with my camera =( even the most minute tree in a parking lot looked amazing!

i will agree with the winter dress issue in this city.. a nice scarf and tuque at the bare minimum can make all the difference in your -40 bus rider appearance!

Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 6:13 AM

.. but upon reading all the posts in this thread, i can see some correlation with the pedestrian environment and fashion of the population (agreeing with drew) - lack of major pedestrian activity due to weather extremes = poorer dressed people on the street.

i know when i'm in a more-active pedestrian city (van/TO/mtrl, etc.), i pay a lot more attention to my attire.. not quite such a worry here.. i don't think people are quite as fashion-conscious when they're hopping into their suv's in linden ridge to go to homesense..

Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 6:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
the winter scenery all day today was one of the ULTIMATE world class things winnipeg can do with ease.. too bad i couldn't get out there with my camera =( even the most minute tree in a parking lot looked amazing!
i agree. i went out with a friend to assiniboine park this afternoon. we both brought our cameras, and came across about 20ish people slowly slowly walking over the pedestrian bridge, on the trails, all with cameras in hand, snapping away. it was kind of nice to see, and good to know many other humans enjoy such simple pleasures.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 10:38 PM

Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
Good one. Thanks for this.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 1:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTD View Post
Head of the nail, meet the hammer. I've travelled to many cities across Canada and the US, including those in colder climates, and it IS possible without plastering yourself with A&F clothing. Us frugal Winnipeg have been known to be some of the most "slobbishly" dressed people in the country, and I can honestly say based on what I see around the city, I agree. It's embarrasing. Take some pride, Winnipeggers; tuck in your shirt and wear something other than sweats with holes in them. And for God sakes, loose the fucking mullets!
Where do you hang out!??! Kildonan Place??

Seriously though...I think the lack of quality clothing stores (for men anyways) has something to do with it. You go to Montreal and every second storefront is an independent clothing store...and that's not in downtown. In Winnipeg...there's the malls...which consist of Gap's, AE's, a few different skater shops and some sports stores. We have one Buffalo store, one Guess store, one Hugo Boss store and one Harry Rosen (when you're talking higher-end). When you look at downtown...as far as "unique" retailers go, you've got Connect Four (there's like 5 shirts on the wall), Unfold Apparel (also only 5 shirts) and maybe Urban Bakery? I'm sure there are a few independent stores that I'm not aware of but I'd say we're lacking big time.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 2:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svenn View Post
Where do you hang out!??! Kildonan Place??

Seriously though...I think the lack of quality clothing stores (for men anyways) has something to do with it. You go to Montreal and every second storefront is an independent clothing store...and that's not in downtown. In Winnipeg...there's the malls...which consist of Gap's, AE's, a few different skater shops and some sports stores. We have one Buffalo store, one Guess store, one Hugo Boss store and one Harry Rosen (when you're talking higher-end). When you look at downtown...as far as "unique" retailers go, you've got Connect Four (there's like 5 shirts on the wall), Unfold Apparel (also only 5 shirts) and maybe Urban Bakery? I'm sure there are a few independent stores that I'm not aware of but I'd say we're lacking big time.
It's true that we do lack a large variety of proper male clothing stores, but that is not to say that we don't have any. Take a look at Le Chateau, possibly some of the most "stylish" male clothing one can get. There are at least three if not more here in Winnipeg. If you're feeling especially indie, you can head over to American Apparel on Osborne. However, if none of these niche stores suits your fancy, you can always dress nicely by going to Moores or Tip Top Tailors.

However, an H&M would of been amazing to be honest, not to mention an Urban Outfitters. However, that's not to say that we don't have any means of obtaining fashionable clothing. No Winnipeger should have any excuse!

Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 2:15 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

last time i went into a la chatoe all there was was womens stuff and a small corner of stuff for men

Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 3:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
last time i went into a la chatoe all there was was womens stuff and a small corner of stuff for men
well, it depends on what you call "small". I know that at Polo Park and St. Vital (The one at Kildonen Place doesn't have male clothing for whatever reason), approximately one quarter of the store is devoted to men, but the logic is simple: Dressy men wear suits, sweaters, ties, and dress shirts. These require little space for display and even less space for storage whereas dressy females wear dresses which cannot be folded and stacked, unlike male clothing.
And well lets be honest, the market for females is slightly larger.

Also, if you go to the outlet off of Keneston, it is much bigger and much cheaper.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 4:13 AM
BANNED

Pretty soon some in here will be talking about which fabric is the softest and how silk is smooth to the body

Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 4:30 AM
Dont let the name fool u

Personally I find "world class" a stupid term. I mean, is there a cut-off? You need this, this and that to be world-class?

Isn't Canada a "world class" country? Then doesn't that mean every city is by default world class?

Or how about living on the planet earth. If your city is on the world, then can it not be seen as a world class city??

Maybe I'm not making my point properly, but world class isn't a term that I hate to use. Terribly subjective, and without much of a purpose. What is good about being a world class city? What does it even mean?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan