HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Jan 14, 2009, 5:35 AM
The World Is Welcome Here

That La Defense project will be really cool.

Plyg, Metrosexual, & AVENian

Old Posted Jan 14, 2009, 7:55 AM

Great stuff, guys. Wow. Keep em coming.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2009, 5:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Fujitsu headquarters, Melbourne, Australia
Living walls and bright working environments contribute to 5-star bid
Situated in Melbourne Docklands new commercial development 'The Guage', Fujitsu's new office reflects the sustainable attributes of the 6 Star Green Star development in its 'green' design. The rating is the Green Building Council of Australia's standard in sustainable design. The design for Fujitsu by Woodhead is aiming for ‘world’s best practice’ in environmental interior design, and expects to achieve a 5 star energy rating, adding to their 'Climate Neutral' official certification.

Woodhead Associate, Gary Beer said “The sustainable solutions within the fit-out and the building have provided a noticeable difference to the air quality, a fresh, light environment which will contribute to the well being of Fujitsu staff”.

All of the floors in the new fitout have been planned so that general staff are situated at the perimeter of the space, where daylight and views are prominent. The carefully planned internal shared spaces complement the exposed structure of the building as well as the day to day working environment of its users.

Fujitsu moved into its new Victorian headquarters with an official opening by the Premier of Victoria, The Hon. John Brumby on the 4th of September 2008
http://www.worldarchitecturenews.com...pload_id=10927

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 1:29 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Turku City Library / JKMM Architects
Architects: JKMM Architects

Main Designer: Asmo Jaaksi architect SAFA
Design Team: Teemu Kurkela, Samuli Miettinen, Juha Mäki-Jyllilä, Mikko Rossi, Katja Savolainen architects SAFA, Päivi Meuronen interior architect SIO
Landscaping: Molino Oy
Structural Design: Narmaplan Oy
Lighting: Eficientysul
Main Contractor: NCC Rakennus Oy
Constructed Area: 6,900 sqm
Project Year: 2007
Photographs: Arno de la Chapelle, Asmo Jaaksi, Harri Falck, Jonny Holmen, Jussi Tiainen, Michael Perlmutter, Patrik Rastenberg
http://www.archdaily.com/11731/turku...mm-architects/

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 1:34 AM
BANNED

Turku Library cont'd

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 1:35 AM
BANNED

Turku Library last one:

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 3:09 PM

^ Did they shop for the lighting at Ikea?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 4:46 PM
▓▒░

^Actually those look like Umbra to me. Especially the chandelier in the third last pic.

I love those thin lights projecting from the wall in the second last picture!

Old Posted Jan 16, 2009, 6:56 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Miyi Tower by Studio Shift
January 16th, 2009

Here’s some more information from the architects:
Miyi Tower

Through an RFQ process, the New South Town of Miyi County in south eastern China selected the Los Angeles based team of Studio SHIFT and SWA Group to create a master plan for the developing area. As part of the new plan, Studio SHIFT has designed a tower containing various programs aimed at promoting the region’s heritage and natural amenities.

The tower sits at the edge of the Anning River and will mark the transition between the new development to the north and the new wetlands, leisure and agricultural districts to the south.

The Miyi Tower rises from the southern end of a kilometer long promenade that stretches from a high density residential and cultural hub devoted to regional arts. The promenade itself consists of a series of parks and public spaces designed by SWA Group to highlight accessibility to the river. It then tapers between rising paths which form the amphitheater at the tower’s base. The paths converge and then continue as a bridge across the river and as an overlook affording views of reclaimed wetlands and the lake beyond. The designers were intent on utilizing natural and mechanical means of filtration to produce clean water, converting a highly polluted river into a usable amenity for residents and visitors. This new amenity takes the form of a series of lakes, wetlands and waterways which lend form to the new districts in the master plan.

The tower itself, which is to act as a major landmark per the Miyi government’s request, is designed as an educational building for residents and the multitude of tourists that visit every year. Because the town is known for its abundance of sunshine and temperate climate, only half of the building’s program elements are enclosed. These double height spaces alternate with unenclosed areas and rise around a vertical core, their alignment shifting toward different views at every floor.

An auditorium, exhibition spaces and restaurants featuring local cuisine can be found on the interior while open-air floors are used as event spaces, gardens and an observation deck. The pairs of lower and upper enclosed spaces are joined by structures which act as light monitors. These light monitors, of which there is a third at the highest level, are aligned to take advantage of different lighting conditions throughout the day.

The tower is sheathed in a very porous yet continuous skin that gives the various programs their unified form. As porous building skins are often treated as opaque modules with subtracted holes (i.e. perforated skins) Studio SHIFT deliberately created the inverse. On the Miyi Tower, rather than defaulting to a technique of perforation, they created a pattern of objects in space mounted to a light frame. This inversion allows the skin to take on a rather ethereal effect and evokes the shimmering surface of the river below.

Architect: Studio SHIFT
Principals: Mario Cipresso and Chris Warren
Project Assistants: Chris Hyun and Andrew Kim
Landscape Architect: SWA Group Los Angeles
http://www.dezeen.com/2009/01/16/miy...-studio-shift/

Old Posted Jan 16, 2009, 10:01 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickell View Post
^ Did they shop for the lighting at Ikea?
The one I think you're referring to was designed by Poul Henningsen in 1958. It is a classic piece of Scandinavian design. www.louispoulsen.com

Ikea gets most of its designs by ripping off famous things and making them much cheaper, lower quality, etc.

"I often say, 'Look, see, enjoy, and love.' It's a long way from looking to loving, but it's worth the effort." - Walter Andrew Netsch Jr.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2009, 9:31 AM

YAWN to the tree stump. This is why sections are important: they reveal just how conventional and mundane some of these grandiose attempts at new forms are. I'm even less sure of the purpose of the skin after that bombastic explanation; it seems purely sculptural.

Nevertheless, thanks for posting, amor de cosmos. It's important to identify the pretenders to "progressive architecture" as it is the true standard-bearers, especially when at first blush it's sometimes hard to tell the difference.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2009, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honte View Post
The one I think you're referring to was designed by Poul Henningsen in 1958. It is a classic piece of Scandinavian design. www.louispoulsen.com

That doesn't make it very progressive then, does it?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2009, 4:37 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickell View Post
That doesn't make it very progressive then, does it?
Well, first, I was correcting the Ikea statement, not defending any kind of "progressive" notion. In fact, I'd really rather not respond to your question because it probably will open up an endless debate that serves no end. My post was supposed to be helpful: Sourcing things takes an incredible investment of time and devotion, and I certainly don't need to share that knowledge.

Second, I would agree that this library is a nice piece of design, but not especially progressive, except for certain "now" elements in the interior design. Nor does it need to be progressive. It probably fits closer into the "great buildings" category than the progressive category, which is the other title of this thread. (I'm not yet convinced that it's a truly great building for that matter.)

Third, something does not need to utilize 100% new elements to be considered progressive. There are endless examples of this. Indeed, if every element of a building needed to be brand new to produce something truly "progressive," we would only see one progressive building every 500-1000 years.

"I often say, 'Look, see, enjoy, and love.' It's a long way from looking to loving, but it's worth the effort." - Walter Andrew Netsch Jr.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2009, 5:45 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch.G, Ch.G View Post
YAWN to the tree stump.
tree stump I thought the outer shell looked cool though, with those metal bands

& now more of this house from post #989:
Quote:
Shell / ARTechnic architects
Architects: Kotaro Ide / ARTechnic architects

Assistants: Moriyuki Fujihara, Ruri Mitsuyasu, Takashi Mototani (former member), Kenyu Fujii
Collaborator: Manami Ide (designer of customized metal work)
Structural Engineer: Naomi Kitayama / NAO
Mechanical engineer: Hiroshi Nakayama / TNA
Electrical Engineer: Jyunetsu Satou / EPS
Contractor: Kenji Kusunoki / GIKAKU
Site Area: 1,711 sqm
Constructed Area: 329 sqm
Construction year: 2008
Photographs: Nacasa & Partners Inc.
http://www.archdaily.com/11602/shell...ic-architects/

Old Posted Jan 17, 2009, 5:46 PM
BANNED

Shell House cont'd

Old Posted Jan 17, 2009, 6:37 PM
Registered

^ One of the nicest houses I've seen in years. Would be curious to see the section detail of the roof structure... what's the climate like in that region?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2009, 5:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Hotel Strata / PLASMA Studio
Architect: PLASMA Studio

Project Year: 2007
Constructed Area: 1,510 sqm
Photographs: Cristobal Palma
http://www.archdaily.com/11842/hotel...plasma-studio/

Old Posted Jan 18, 2009, 5:38 PM
BANNED

Hotel Strata 2/3

Old Posted Jan 18, 2009, 5:40 PM
BANNED

Hotel Strata 3/3

Old Posted Jan 18, 2009, 8:33 PM

Forgive the horrible photograph, I took this after a two mile bike ride uphill. Denver, in this case the suburb of Wheat Ridge, have broad hills that can range up to a hundred or two feet in change of elevation. ANYWAY, I figured this house might show up by this summer on the forum so I went ahead and took a picture of it. The main part of the house is built around a square atrium with a large steel umbrella-like awning over it. The awning is supported in the middle by a single steel column. The dimensions of the height and width of the house seem to play off the same dimensions of the atrium giving the house a cube-like look.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture