HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Mar 29, 2008, 7:18 PM
They all float down here

I really like the Rays' park. It's about time baseball stadiums started moving away from the retro-look and began looking at more original designs. Don't get me wrong, the first few retro-parks were nice, but now it's just overkill. I don't get why every damn MLB stadium today has to look classic like that.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2008, 11:06 PM
Category Five

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambam View Post
Great for the Gophers and Twins. Are the Vikings still going to be stuck with the nasty old Metrodome? Or has there been anything official for a new NFL stadium?

What's the capacity for the Gopher's stadium?
There was a proposal but I think it got shot down.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2008, 2:43 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

I don't know a ton about stadiums but I'll share my opinion and a few things. Progressive Field (formerly Jacobs Field) home of the Cleveland Indians has a home plate that faces pretty much directly north. As it was said most home plates face NE, thankfully the designers were smart enough to realize that the view of the downtown skyline would be best with home plate facing north. It is a great view of the skyline and a great park to see a game at.

As for AAA fields Franklin Covey Field, home of the Salt Lake Bee's of the Pacific Coast league, (Angels affiliate) has been rated as the best view in baseball. It faces SE and has a amazing view of the Wasatch Mtns over the outfield wall. It was also the first AAA stadium to be designed as a double deck stadium.

pictures courtesy of charlies ballparks

courtesy of ballparkreviews.com

Old Posted Apr 15, 2008, 2:48 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

While I'm at it I might as well post a rendering of the new Real Salt Lake Soccer Stadium being built in Sandy, Utah, a Salt Lake City suburb about 15 miles south of Salt Lake City. Real Salt Lake is an MLS team.

It is slated for completion around August of this year, (i think). While many of us wish it wasn't being built in the burbs I do really like the design.

Old Posted May 17, 2008, 3:50 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Here is a little tour of the stadiums of the Valley of the Sun:

First, Sun Devil Stadium:
-Capacity: 73, 379
-Opened in 1958, but expanded over the years.
-Tempe, Arizona. Home of the Arizona State University Sun Devil football team. Former home to the NFLs Arizona Cardinals (1988-2003).
-Nickname: The House of Heat

Its in need of some structural repairs and upgrades, and those plans are in the works. Its also in need of some modern updating to improve things for the fans. Plastic seats to replace the metal benches, shade sails across the top (like you see at a lot of Euro stadiums), more bathrooms, improved lighting in the concourse, better concessions, et cetera.

Even with all of that though, the stadium is still a gem, and probably my sentimental favorite. It sits between two desert buttes (an impressive engineering feet at the time), on the North side of ASUs lovely campus, just south of Tempe Town Lake. It hosted Super Bowl XXX, formerly hosted the Fiesta Bowl and was part of the BCS Championship game rotation, and currently hosts the Insight Bowl. It was featured in the film "Jerry Maguire"

Packard Stadium
-Capacity: 7,875
-Built in 1974
-Tempe, Arizona. Home to Arizona State University Baseball
-Nickname: The Rock (for its hard infield)

This small park is going through some renovations as well. Additional concessions are being added, plastic seats to replace the benches, and shade structures are all in the plans.

Wells Fargo Arena
-Tempe, Arizona
-Capacity: 14,198
-Opened 1974
-Nicknames: Activity Center (former name)

Home to Arizona State University Mens and Womens basketball, as well as various indoor sports (i.e. gymnastics)

This stadium is also about to undergo some major renovations. Improved press areas, new seating, better concourse and concessions, new scoreboard et cetera.

US Airways Center
-Phoenix, Az (Downtown)
-Capacity 18,422 for basketball. 16, 210
-Home to the Phoenix Suns (NBA), Arizona Rattlers (AFL), Phoenix Roadrunners (ECHL), Phoenix Mercury (WNBA) and former home to the Phoenix Coyotes (NHL) as well as a few other minor league teams.
-Opened: 1992
-Nicknames: "The Purple Palace" and "The Snake Pit" (for Rattlers games)

With all the newer gyms in the NBA, this one is relatively old, but its still fantastic. Its been updated recently and its as nice as it was when it opened. It was the first in a series of large municipal projects that helped bring Downtown Phoenix back and put it on the positive trajectory its now on.

It hosted the 1993 NBA Finals, the 1995 NBA All Star Game, and will be hosting the 2008 NBA All Star game.

Chase Field
-Phoenix, AZ (Downtown)
-Capacity: 49,033
-Opened 1998
-Nicknames: the Chase, BOB (for its former name "Bank One Ballpark")

This stadium is just down Jefferson St from the US Airways Center. It was another big piece to the downtown Phoenix revitalization efforts. It hosted the amazing 2001 World Series, and is in consideration for an upcoming MLB All Star Game (2012 I think?).

It features a retractable roof and open-able panels along the outfield wall. It was the first stadium in the country (the world?) to feature a retractable roof and natural grass. Its also well known for its pool in right center field. The past two years its gone through some renovations, and now has the largest scoreboard in American pro sports (which will be eclipsed by the new Cowboys stadium).

Jobing.com Arena
-Glendale, Az
-Capacity: 17,799
-Home of the NHLs Phoenix Coyotes and the NLL Arizona Sting (LaCrosse)
-Opened in 2003

Its out in a very underdeveloped area currently, but thats changing quickly. The stadium is very intimate, and you always feel close the ice. Its notable for its open concourses so that you can always see the action (you walk down to your seats, instead of up to them).

Its home to Arizona Varsity High School championships in basketball, volleyball, wrestling and cheer. It was going to host an NHL All Star games, but the collective bargaining issues screwed that up. Its expected to be re-awarded an NHL All Star game sometime soon.

University of Phoenix Stadium
-Glendale, AZ
-Capacity: 63, 400 (expands to 73, 719)
-Home to the NFLs Arizona Cardinals, the Fiesta Bowl, Super Bowl XL and potentially the Super Bowl in 2012.
-Opened in 2006

Already covered in this thread, so I'll keep it brief. Its very distinct looking, its supposed to evoke the image of a barrel cactus, or a coiled rattle snake. Along with Jobing.com Arena its part of the larger WestGate City Center Development.

It was the first stadium in North America to feature a removable field, allowing the field to get more sun during off days and for the stadium to hold events like monster truck rallies w/ out damaging the field.

Arizona Veterans Memorial Coliseum
-Phoenix, Arizona (Midtown/Encanto area)
- Capacity: 14,870
- Opened 1965
-Nickname: "The Madhouse On McDowell"
-Former home to the Phoenix Suns and Phoenix Roadrunners. Currently used only for concerts, large events, and the state and county fairs.

Known for its distinctive saddle or pringle shaped roof, the Madhouse on McDowell was known as one of the loudest buildings in the NBA. Though its sadly fallen into disrepair and underuse in recent years, Phoenicians are lucky that unlike other cities, it still stands. It anchors the state and county fairgrounds, and gets most of its use in that capacity.

It features a lot of unique southwestern themed murals by Arizona artist Paul Coze. Its a great piece of MidCentury architecture, and its dilapidated state doesn't really do it justice.

Phoenix Municipal Stadium
-Phoenix, AZ (Papago Park)
-Opened 1964
-Capacity: 8,775
-Home of the Oakland A's in Spring Training, former home of the Phoenix Firebirds (AAA)

I couldn't find many pictures of this stadium, but its a gem. For years it was the place to see baseball in Phoenix. Before the Diamondbacks existed the Firebirds (and before that the Phoenix Giants) played there. Over the left field fence you can see the beautiful Papago Buttes and palms from Papago Park. The stadium has a unique crinkled/accordion style shade structure thats a great mid century modern touch.

There are a bunch of other Spring Training stadiums as well. But this post is getting long and I'm too lazy to keep typing. The Valley also has HohoKam Park in Mesa (home to the Cubs), Maryvale Stadium in West Phoenix (home to the Brewers), Surprise Stadium in Surprise (home to the Royals and Rangers), Scottsdale Stadium in Scottsdale (home to the Giants), Tempe Diablo Stadium in Tempe (home to the Angels), Peoria Sports Complex in Peoria (Home to the Mariners and Padres). Plus a new stadium will be opening in Goodyear, AZ west of Phoenix that will be the new Spring home to the Cleveland Indians and Cincinnati Reds, Glendale will also be getting a new facility to house the LA Dodgers.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 4:28 PM
E pluribus unum

Apparently Compadre Stadium in Chandler (former home of the Brewers in spring training) is still standing (but all the seats have been removed).

Arizona Veterans Memorial Coliseum is an absolute dump. I went to a political rally there in January and the place smelled like mold and mothballs (apparently the roof leaks, which has been a problem since it first opened from my understanding). I'm sure it was a fine arena in its heyday (would've loved to have attended a Suns game there before they moved to the Purple Palace), but as it is right now, the place is in serious need of renovations (if the Arizona State Fair board can even afford it?)

Old Posted Jul 5, 2008, 9:08 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Jobings.com Arena is one of the worst names ever for a sporting facility.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2008, 2:46 PM
E pluribus unum

Its a crappy name, but the arena is really one of the nicest in the NHL

Old Posted Jul 26, 2008, 9:54 PM
Go Saxons!!

Here's a couple baseball stadiums from Oregon:

PGE Park, Portland
Home of the Beavers
ballparkreviews.com
ballparkdigest.com

Volcanoes Stadium, Keizer
Home of the Salem-Keizer Volcanoes

charliesballparks

Old Posted Jul 26, 2008, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
Nice looking stadium, but why are the Rays getting a new ballpark? Granted Tropicana Field is a dump, but they've only been playing there for ten years.
Aren't the Marlins getting a new stadium? They've got to be the only MLB team with worse attendance than the Rays.

I agree with the assessment about the Trop, btw. Going from seeing a Mariners game at Safeco in '02 to seeing my first Rays game in '03 was like test-driving a Ferrari and driving home in a Taurus.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2008, 11:33 AM

Typical cub fan....

Nice little shot at the White Sox not hitting many home runs....

I'm sure Frank Thomas, Jermaine Dye, Jim Thome, Joe Crede, Carlos Qunetin, Carlos Lee, Paul Konerko, and all the other sluggers that have been in a Sox uniform when they routinely are at the top of the AL in home runs would appreciate that statement...

Old Posted Aug 6, 2008, 11:07 PM

Does anyone have any photos of the United Center in Chicago?. They are very limited on google pictures, and the stadium is just so nice i would like to see some real pictures of it?

Old Posted Aug 8, 2008, 8:09 PM
Architecture student

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO_0121 View Post
Does anyone have any photos of the United Center in Chicago?. They are very limited on google pictures, and the stadium is just so nice i would like to see some real pictures of it?
Here you go.

That's all I could find.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2008, 9:33 PM

Thumbs up New water technology for all buildings.

To whom it may concern ,

World first.

A new technology that removes all bacteia from water, was recently presented at the Hong Kong Trade Fair, and attracted keen interest from visitors.
This new technology removes the bacteria , and uses NO chemicals.
This is ideal for high rise apartments , offering the tenants the latest world wide new technology for their personal water consumption in the apartment.
The new technology is at present being trialed in Australia in other areas such as on Chicken Farms, Agricultural areas like grapes, flowers etc, and it will certainly appeal to the world for an easy simple perfect method of taking away from water, all the bacteria.
Ideal for all Hospitals who have those serious hospital bugs that appear often.
If you feel you would like to take this matter further , kindly contact me and I will supply you further information , such as the Web site, DVD etc.
Yours faithfully
Neil McIntyre
Climatologist Officer
Silverwater Technology
Box 1962 Southport 4215 Gold Coast
Queensland
Australia
palmerboxing@yahoo.com.au
+++++++++

Old Posted Oct 10, 2008, 11:24 AM

New Stadium, a big hit!

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1...265433,00.html

Mike Terry, Deseret News

Real Stadium is the new model that all soccer stadiums should follow - Mark Abbot, President MLS

Old Posted Oct 14, 2008, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
Rio Tinto Stadium.
Oct. 14, 2008

As most of you guys know last week the new Rio Tinto Stadium ( RSL Stadium ) opened. Today I had the day off and I was in the area. As I went to check out the new stadium I notice that one of the gates were open. So I got a inside peak of the stadium.
Here are some of the photos I took of the stadium this morning. Video to follow soon.

Go RSL!!!

by SLC Projects

Old Posted Dec 7, 2008, 11:08 PM

Looks like its actually going to happen. Been a long and torturous route getting a ballpark in downtown Tulsa. It all started when a suburban development proposed building a ballpark for Tulsas team. Tulsa didnt want to lose something else to the suburbs so the race was on to try and figure out a way to keep them in town. A new downtown venue seemed to be just the ticket.

The location is ideal. Tulsa has been slowly revitalizing its downtown. There are currently 3 scattered and small areas that have seen some promising growth. This ballpark would be off to one corner and essentially join all three of the areas into one. Especially if there is any development right around the ballpark, which seems likely, and then all 3 unconnected areas would be joined together to become quite a nice and happening place for downtown.

Financing has been very tricky as well. Suffice it to say there wasnt any way to get the citizens of Tulsa to do any tax to pay for it other than part of a downtown assessment. Then donors chipped in to pay for about half. Then the banking fiasco started and financing dried up. So a local foundation and bank stepped in to take that on. They are really rushing to get this thing done by the 2010 season.

Am anxious to see any renderings as they come out, but here is the general gist so far.

60 million, most of which is for the ballpark, a good chunk of that is to secure property around the stadium for mixed use developments. The donors and city want control of the property in order to make sure that the style and type of developments in the immediate area are top-notch and fit with what they want (pedestrian friendly, mixed use, etc.).

30 million is being donated. 5 mill will come from the lease. 25 mill from a special downtown tax assessment.

Slideshow
http://www.tulsaworld.com/webextra/c...ium/index.aspx

The financing and plan for building this has been one strange soap opera lol. Here is the latest.

Only 1 Bid for Building Ballpark...
http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/artic...1_TheTul404183

Old Posted Dec 10, 2008, 6:29 AM

Found a few preliminary renderings that just came out. I believe I read some where that its supposed to be stone, stainless steel and glass. Looks kind of like a retro/international style. Not sure whether I like it or not. Plus its right in the middle of an area that is central to a couple of historic districts with buildings that are mostly brick.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2008, 1:29 AM

Well seems like the general consensus at this date is... The design SUCKS! lol. A lot of people are downright livid at the notion of using this design for the new downtown ballpark. Most say it looks more like an old school from the 60s and not a ballpark. Doesnt inspire, doesnt add to the area, is not pedestrian friendly, is boring, does not look like a "destination", or looks like an airport terminal, doesnt appear to have a main entrance or gateway, etc. etc.

Everyone seems to be pushing for some sort of major redesign.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2008, 10:20 PM

Munich Stadiums

Two more European stadiums:

- the Allianz Arena, completed in 2005 and home to Bayern München. At night, when the stadium is lit, you can literally see through the ETFE-foil panels. 66 000 seats

- the Olympic Stadium, former home of Bayern München. Built for the 1972 olympics in a futuristic tent-like design with PVC-coated polyester. About 69 000 seats

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture