HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 10:46 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
One possibility is that the total rail ridership is unlinked trips, but the line totals are entrances at each station. So the 225 might somehow include people who enter on one line and have an in-system transfer to another?
Oh, yeah, now that you say that, I think I've read about linked vs. unlinked in CTA stats before, but I'd forgotten about it.

Thanks.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Jan 26, 2020, 7:49 PM
THAT Guy

Did anyone post the canopy renderings for the "Your New Blue" renovations at Grand, Chicago, and Division stations?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Did anyone post the canopy renderings for the "Your New Blue" renovations at Grand, Chicago, and Division stations?

They're very similar to those installed at the Red Line - at least as State/Harrison. Let's just be kind and say "they aren't aging well."

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 6:25 PM
Show me the blueprints

Those look nice I just wish in locations where they have the space like the Polish Triangle @ Division, the island @ Chicago and the NW stair @ Grand they could have rebuilt the stair entirely and made them wider and generous and the canopy more substantial architecturally. Yes I realize this would cost more money.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 6:38 PM

The structural steel component at the Grand Location is partially up already as of this last weekend. Don't think I saw the same at Chicago avenue quite yet, but they are working on two entrances there now.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 7:12 PM

Could have paid homage to one of the many schools or architecture Chicago is home to, and instead we got whatever this is...

Also, the last rendering appears to be the division stop but they recently reopened the stops with no modifications to the entrance.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Chicago View Post
They're very similar to those installed at the Red Line - at least as State/Harrison. Let's just be kind and say "they aren't aging well."
My first thought was ~ oh yeah. . . one winter with salt and slush will make quick work of these shiny new facilities. . .

. . .

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 7:34 PM
Show me the blueprints

Cheap in. Cheap out.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 9:36 PM
TL;DR

They look fine to me... seems like they accomplish the goal of providing cover over the stairwells without blocking sightlines to the buildings beyond.

I can't speak to the condition of the one at State/Harrison, but I'm surprised at how well the bus shelters on Loop Link are doing. No design will stay immaculate on the tough conditions of Chicago's streets but these seem to be holding up.

Also, these new Blue Line shelters are definitely not a perfect fit, but a lot less of a stylistic contrast with the moderne design of the station platforms and mezzanines than the faux-Victorian shelters CTA used on the Red Line and on the Blue Line at Jackson/LaSalle. Maybe CTA finally figured out they already have stylish 1940s designs on the subway system that just need to be brought into the 21st century.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 2:35 PM

i have seen it many times with VTA structures, rust and falling apart after only a few years. For the amount of money they spend on these projects this should not be happening. I understand you are going to over pay due to corruption on these projects but i still expect them to hold up better.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
They look fine to me... seems like they accomplish the goal of providing cover over the stairwells without blocking sightlines to the buildings beyond.

I can't speak to the condition of the one at State/Harrison, but I'm surprised at how well the bus shelters on Loop Link are doing. No design will stay immaculate on the tough conditions of Chicago's streets but these seem to be holding up.

Also, these new Blue Line shelters are definitely not a perfect fit, but a lot less of a stylistic contrast with the moderne design of the station platforms and mezzanines than the faux-Victorian shelters CTA used on the Red Line and on the Blue Line at Jackson/LaSalle. Maybe CTA finally figured out they already have stylish 1940s designs on the subway system that just need to be brought into the 21st century.
From a style standpoint I have to agree this is an improvement over recent CTA work, also functionally much better than the open stairwells that presently exist. Time will tell how the glass holds up but even if it has to be replaced every 10 or 15 years there isn't an enormous amount of it.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 10:38 PM

Not sure where to post this, but does anyone know what is being built on the south side of I-290 just east of 1st Ave?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 11:04 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsrand View Post
Not sure where to post this, but does anyone know what is being built on the south side of I-290 just east of 1st Ave?
IDOT is rebuilding the pump station that keeps the Eisenhower expressway trench dry through Maywood and Bellwood... The current pump station dates to the 1950s and it sits too close to the expressway lanes, so it needs to be relocated before the Ike can be widened.

Might seem like a small project but it's actually pretty nuts, they're building a huge circular secant pile wall so they can dig down almost 70' without the Des Plaines River coming in. Picture the giant round shaft at the Spire site.

Unfortunately this massive work of civil engineering will be topped with a pump station building that belongs in Bolingbrook, precast panels with fake red brick. Truly awful compared to the subtle, Jetsons-ish pump station that exists now.

https://webapps.dot.illinois.gov/WCT...1-1c7a1c384c22

Last edited by ardecila; Jan 29, 2020 at 11:18 PM.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
IDOT is rebuilding the pump station that keeps the Eisenhower expressway trench dry through Maywood and Bellwood... The current pump station dates to the 1950s and it sits too close to the expressway lanes, so it needs to be relocated before the Ike can be widened.

Might seem like a small project but it's actually pretty nuts, they're building a huge circular secant pile wall so they can dig down almost 70' without the Des Plaines River coming in. Picture the giant round shaft at the Spire site.

Unfortunately this massive work of civil engineering will be topped with a pump station building that belongs in Bolingbrook, precast panels with fake red brick. Truly awful compared to the subtle, Jetsons-ish pump station that exists now.

https://webapps.dot.illinois.gov/WCT...1-1c7a1c384c22

Knew someone would have the answer....defineitly a big job as there have been 3 or 4 caisson rigs onsite. What is the Ike Trench?

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 2:47 PM

Great info as always, ardecila your new pic threw me off! Oh i can hardly wait for the Ike to be widened. Always boggled my mind that they had it narrow to 3 lanes. Even though when the project is going on the traffic will be HELL it will be worth it.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 4:11 PM

Is it confirmed being widened?

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 5:19 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsrand View Post
Knew someone would have the answer....defineitly a big job as there have been 3 or 4 caisson rigs onsite. What is the Ike Trench?
The expressway is depressed along almost its entire length below normal ground level. If it wasn't pumped out constantly, it would turn into a lake (or river).

This pump station drains the western section of the expressway through Maywood, Bellwood, Broadview, and Westchester.

There's a firm plan to do the widening, just no money yet. In the meantime, IDOT is doing a few "advance projects" like this out of their usual budget. Of course, if a few more years go by with no money, they'll have to start the study process all over again since Chicagoland and its travel needs continue to evolve.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 9:17 PM

What the status of the cta new 7000 series

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 12:26 AM
Show me the blueprints

_

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 9:20 PM

What the updates on the cta green line Damen/Lake station do anyone know when are CDOT going to start construction

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation