HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 27, 2018, 3:22 PM

Is it safe to say that the WTC building isnt going to happen ?

Old Posted Apr 27, 2018, 3:44 PM

Have to confirm that with Atchinson....probably regretting this is the first thing he attached his name to, after the election....

Old Posted Apr 27, 2018, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellk12 View Post
Is it safe to say that the WTC building isnt going to happen ?
Was there a start date stated for construction? or estimated at least? I can't remember

Old Posted Apr 27, 2018, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodlandCritter View Post
Was there a start date stated for construction? or estimated at least? I can't remember
october 2017 i believe. id rather there be a report saying its scrapped again and there will be a new rendering. this little one stunk lol. thats a good project for the north downtown area. Not the core where better density projects can and should happen.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2018, 4:13 PM

last I read they wanted to start this spring but I'm doubtful if we haven't heard anything yet.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2018, 2:24 AM

Old Posted Apr 28, 2018, 2:44 PM

I’ve heard North Prairie (aka Canwest) bought that lot as more of a long term land investment versus actually building it out. Their current inventory in both the north and south suburbs isn’t selling out fast enough to build this project so they’ve been making construction “coming soon” announcements just to scare away other prospective developers that are both local and from out of province. Getting articles written about prospective projects are the best line of defense when your current inventory isn’t selling in the burbs and you don’t want to see any new inventory enter the market. Newer developers that do research on Saskatoon after seeing news about our city being the fastest growing also see these articles and get scared away about an influx in inventory when we actually have one of the tightest vacancy markets in Canada. To be clear, we have one of the most competitive downtown rental markets in the country because of a lack of new projects in the past 30 years. Many businesses would move downtown if we had more developers like Victory Majors and Urban Capital with some balls. Companies like North Prairie/Canwest are nothing but a very dark detriment to this city that could easily be replaceable with better alternatives.

The solution: we need to dramatically increase taxes to vacant lots after 3+ years in areas that owners are using as solely land speculation / Parking revenue. This isn’t rocket science. So many people own vacant lots downtown solely as land speculation and that is not what makes a great downtown. The whole downtown doesn’t need to suffer much longer all because North Prairie’s owners had some extra pocket change to blow... North Prairie is a disgrace, and that’s how I’ll talking to other about their company and anyone associated to them. They’re not the only one’s downtown though. We should make a list of these people and publically shame them. The downtown’s vacant lots aren’t their playground for blue chip investments. There are plenty of out of province developers who would develop these lots if they were given the opportunity.

I think we’re going to see a few suburban companies move downtown with the new space being made available with a soon to be large vacancy in Saskatoon Square, and most likely cheaper per sq ft rates at the old police station.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2018, 5:54 AM

North Prairie

Interesting point of view. I can honestly say that I am not informed enough to agree or disagree on local companies purchasing land downtown to speculate and discourage other companies from building downtown.

I will say that based on the population of Saskatoon and the projected growth of our city, we should be able to support way more development downtown.
I'm glad to see that River Landing is finally happening, and hope that more empty parking lots see development in the coming years.

Looking around our downtown it really is a sad bunch of ugly buildings and empty parking lots.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2018, 6:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bess View Post
Interesting to note that the recommended height for the space currently occupied by Toys R Us is 8-10 stories, substantially lower than the tower shown in the 'rendering' released by Cushman & Wakefield.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2018, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YXE View Post
Interesting to note that the recommended height for the space currently occupied by Toys R Us is 8-10 stories, substantially lower than the tower shown in the 'rendering' released by Cushman & Wakefield.
Whoever decides to build on the site at some point in the future can apply for a re-zoning application or ask for variances to existing zoning and bylaws that are in place. If any developer/architect makes a compelling and reasonable argument for any changes, usually a design panel will see the benefit as well.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2018, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YXE View Post
I'm a little confused. Which rendering are you referring to? Would love to see pictures.

Old Posted May 1, 2018, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR200 View Post
I'm a little confused. Which rendering are you referring to? Would love to see pictures.
If you google it, under the images tab you can see a few of the renderings that were pulled from the companies website a while back.

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 5:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodlandCritter View Post
If you google it, under the images tab you can see a few of the renderings that were pulled from the companies website a while back.
Wow! That looks impressive. I can't believe that I haven't seen that before.
I hope this development goes ahead. Something like this is long overdue for Saskatoon. It would attract more conventions to the city.

Does anyone know what is going on in the center Mall parking lot? It looks like they are starting to build an addition to the mall.

Old Posted May 4, 2018, 4:25 AM

Posts from both Strata Development and KSA Group architecture indicating a project underway that appears to involve the Tees & Persse warehouse and old Egadz building on 1st Ave:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BiNZl8CA...atadevelopment
https://www.instagram.com/p/BiQFOuUg...p_architecture
https://www.instagram.com/p/BiQE7lcg...p_architecture

Old Posted May 4, 2018, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Wow! That looks impressive. I can't believe that I haven't seen that before.
I hope this development goes ahead. Something like this is long overdue for Saskatoon. It would attract more conventions to the city.

Does anyone know what is going on in the center Mall parking lot? It looks like they are starting to build an addition to the mall.

Old Posted May 4, 2018, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Posts from both Strata Development and KSA Group architecture indicating a project underway that appears to involve the Tees & Persse warehouse and old Egadz building on 1st Ave:

When the instagram post referenced to "keeping the memories flowing" I thought for sure it was going to be resurrected as a dance/night club again!!! But also, saw the next post that said retail, office or restaurant....

I guess just good news that it (and adjacent 'charter house' building) look to be getting a new lease on life!

Old Posted May 4, 2018, 3:12 PM

Quote:
If it's out in front of the mall, SW of the McDonald's, it may well be a building addition for a new theatre complex.

As part of a major mall renovation first issued about 18 months ago, both the existing Centre Cinemas and Rainbow Theatre spaces were going to be re-purposed for other uses and a new theatre was going to be added onto the North side of the mall, immediately East of Acadia Drive.

Old Posted May 6, 2018, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post

Seems like during the boom the last ten years we got close to nothing other than suburban commercial properties, and lower vacancies the past few years incentivized developers to finally do some serious reno’s! Still waiting on some of these half century old condos downtown to do some reno’s which should hopefully happen if they can’t find renters. Some of their facades are so nasty - especially Marquis towers where that murder just happened. Also Dorchester “Tower” should just be torn down.

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 12:10 PM

North Bridge

Concrete pour started last night on North Bridge deck last night. Looking at the cameras they are moving right along. The Traffic bridge doesn't seem to be moving very fast.

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 2:24 PM

I was taking a look at the traffic bridge yesterday. Does anyone else think that the galvanized railing looks very much out of place against the pre-rusted patina of the main bridge structure?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan