HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 5:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
I don't care how many bike lanes San Francisco builds, and they've built a lot--to the point of converting so many traffic lanes to bike lanes as to cause gridlock that never existed before--because the city's "Bicycle Coalition" is one of it's most powerful political lobby groups, the city can never be a bicycle paradise. It's the hills, man! THE HILLS. The city tries to put the bike lanes on the flattest streets but if you live on Nob Hill, Telegraph Hill, Delores Heights, Bernal Heights or Diamond Heights, you better have calves of steel.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/952089...38233/?lp=true
Electric bikes....until SF decides to ban them lol

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 6:21 AM
Birds Aren't Real!

The vast majority of San Franciscans live in the flatter, less expensive areas, which is how tens of thousands of us manage to bike to work every day without electric assist or calves of steel.

source

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 9:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
When I was there this summer I biked a lot. Sure, I didn't like the main roads but there are tons of small side streets where I felt 100% safe and comfortable. And when I was on a main street, I just road on the sidewalk.

Overall I loved it and felt very safe and comfortable(my standard for a good biking area). I honestly don't know if it should be on this list, because I haven't been all over the world but yeah...my 2 cents as a tourist.
It's certainly safe and clean, and it's probably fun as a tourist to bike around Tokyo. But if you live here, you're not biking anywhere in a professional capacity when it's 95 F at 80%+ humidity from July through early October. And that wonderful yellow haze China gifts us with every year around that time is nasty to bike in. There's also comparatively little bike parking given the number of bikers, so people double-park their bikes on the sidewalks, turning a nice 10 foot wide, two-way into a single-lane squeeze.

It's not a bad place to bike, I do it often enough. I just don't see how it could possibly be among the best cities on the planet to bike in.

Not a city like the rest, but Davis CA has great bike path infrastructure. My brother's house has a paved bike road abutting the property.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions