HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 9:21 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
Nice pictures!

Does Newfoundland have a specialty food? For instance, poutine is a Quebec food (that has spread). Or, brisket is a Texas type of barbecue, whereas pork is a North Carolina type of barbecue.
A few, yes. I’m not sure the extent to which they’re just us. Almost all would be Irish or English.

Biggest one is Jigg’s Dinner (boiled root vegetables, salt beef, pease pudding, mustard pickles, etc.)

Our equivalent of poutine is FDG - fries, gravy, and dressing (stuffing it’s called elsewhere I think). But it’s local stuffing with Newfoundland savoury. Stove Top or whatever doesn’t work.

Lots of weird fish things. Fish’n brewis, cod tongues/cheeks, etc.

Lots of boiled puddings like figgy duff.

Toutons is another - fried sweet dough. Typically a breakfast food dipped in molasses but these days you can use butter or stuff them with anything. For example, had a butter chicken one yesterday.

Pepsi makes a few things here that I think are only available in a couple of markets - pineapple crush, birch beer soda, etc.

Lots of game meat (it’s legal for restaurants to sell it here) - moose, seal, and turr being the most popular. It’s often not traditionally prepared but still a local twist (for example, tapas cafes with moose spring rolls, etc.)

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
A few, yes. I’m not sure the extent to which they’re just us. Almost all would be Irish or English.

Biggest one is Jigg’s Dinner (boiled root vegetables, salt beef, pease pudding, mustard pickles, etc.)

Our equivalent of poutine is FDG - fries, gravy, and dressing (stuffing it’s called elsewhere I think). But it’s local stuffing with Newfoundland savoury. Stove Top or whatever doesn’t work.

Lots of weird fish things. Fish’n brewis, cod tongues/cheeks, etc.

Lots of boiled puddings like figgy duff.

Toutons is another - fried sweet dough. Typically a breakfast food dipped in molasses but these days you can use butter or stuff them with anything. For example, had a butter chicken one yesterday.

Pepsi makes a few things here that I think are only available in a couple of markets - pineapple crush, birch beer soda, etc.

Lots of game meat (it’s legal for restaurants to sell it here) - moose, seal, and turr being the most popular. It’s often not traditionally prepared but still a local twist (for example, tapas cafes with moose spring rolls, etc.)
Interesting. I thought toutons might be a type of food, but I wasn't sure if that was a brand or something else.

Birch beer is not necessarily exclusive to Newfoundland (although maybe Pepsi making it is). Birch beer soda is a staple in Pennsylvania, as part of the Pennsylvania Dutch culture.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 7:27 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

It's SO hot. This is an unexpected treat. Never checked the forecast and just assumed it would remain chilly for a few days.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 9:08 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Yesterday evening was gorgeous.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 9:09 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

A gorgeous morning - went for a sunrise bike ride.

And then drove for coffee. I CAN'T BIKE AND CARRY THINGS AT THE SAME TIME. SUE ME.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2020, 2:51 AM

I don't know if I'm the only one in here keeping up with all your updates, but I like the ongoing pictures!

Old Posted Aug 12, 2020, 2:54 PM
IWant2BeInSTL

So how difficult/expensive would it be to find a small home overlooking the water around St. John's (perferably on an acre or two of land) that is still relatively proximate to the city? Asking for a friend...

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos