HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 4:37 PM

I think that open, sunny and full of people is exactly the right vibe for that site. Our sunshine is perhaps this city’s greatest calling card. If the Forks is any example I think a lot of folks feel that way.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 4:41 PM

Personally I like how the site opens up to RRC instead of to the north. It sort of connects the two halves of the downtown RRC campus and makes it more coherent.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 5:41 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
I think all that means is they had to prioritize certain aspects over others and none were perfect.

Another comment made a couple of times were the buildings in the designs didn't fit in well with the surrounding neighbourhood. That the surrounding neighbourhood consisted of really square buildings.
I agree with their decision having read their evaluations. We don’t need a show-off design that upstages the Exchange District itself, not to mention being potentially costly to realize. The winning proposal provides a sunny, inviting market area while visually integrating the Princess Street buildings with Main Street.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 7:48 PM

^ The proposal isn't necessarily the one I would have chosen if left to my own devices, but I can't complain too much about the one which was selected... it's still pretty nice and a much better use of the land than what was there for the last 50 years (assuming the northern half of the site gets built out too).

I don't find the differences between the proposals to be so great that I'd get too worked up over it.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2019, 4:38 PM

https://winnipeg.ca/MatMgt/FolderCon...19_A&YEAR=2019

RFQ is out for readying of the lands for redevelopment.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2019, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
https://winnipeg.ca/MatMgt/FolderCon...19_A&YEAR=2019

RFQ is out for readying of the lands for redevelopment.
Nice to see the process starting!

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 3:47 PM

Bids closed a few weeks ago... any word on this? I'm getting anxious to see this project move along.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 4:04 PM
What could go wrong?

I believe it has been awarded to Rakowski Cartage & Wrecking.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I believe it has been awarded to Rakowski Cartage & Wrecking.
"The Public Service is recommending an award of contract for Readying the Lands at 151 & 171 Princess Street for Redevelopment Opportunity – Tender No. 230-2019B to Rakowski Cartage & Wrecking Ltd., in the amount of $6,783,824.00 plus GST. The Recommendation included in this Report complies with the requirements of the various trade agreements and the City’s Materials Management Policy"

6.7 million just for demolition. Whew.

Still less than the $9.7M budgeted:

"Note the contract price indicates an approximate $2.9 million savings to the City relative to the forecasted $9.7 million total construction cost as contained in the project capital budget. However, the Public Service recommends that all capital budget funding be retained as a contingency to manage any incremental costs arising due to risks that may materialize associated with projects of this scope and characteristics e.g., unknown site conditions. Any favourable project funding variance realized upon project total completion would be available for capital reallocation."

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 4:44 PM

Yup. Lots of heavy concrete to move out. Safely. I suspect it also includes filling the hole left by the parkade and basement levels.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 5:13 PM

^^ Good to see some movement on this! Can anyone set up a demolition/construction cam there?

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
"The Public Service is recommending an award of contract for Readying the Lands at 151 & 171 Princess Street for Redevelopment Opportunity – Tender No. 230-2019B to Rakowski Cartage & Wrecking Ltd., in the amount of $6,783,824.00 plus GST. The Recommendation included in this Report complies with the requirements of the various trade agreements and the City’s Materials Management Policy"

6.7 million just for demolition. Whew.

Still less than the $9.7M budgeted:

"Note the contract price indicates an approximate $2.9 million savings to the City relative to the forecasted $9.7 million total construction cost as contained in the project capital budget. However, the Public Service recommends that all capital budget funding be retained as a contingency to manage any incremental costs arising due to risks that may materialize associated with projects of this scope and characteristics e.g., unknown site conditions. Any favourable project funding variance realized upon project total completion would be available for capital reallocation."
Is that for parking garage and public safety building?

Has there been any mention on who is developing the proposed social housing on the site and who will own it? Is CV suddenly the developer / owner as well?

Is their plan to hold the title of the project in perpetuity or to sell on completion and just write off and loss at that time? How are they mandated to raise $30,000,000 to build the project? Who guarantees the loan and or loss?

As I have said before, I consider any use other than for RRC very short sighted.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 8:34 PM

It's for 151 and 171 Princess.

151 is PSB. I assume 171 is the parkade.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 8:44 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labroco View Post
Has there been any mention on who is developing the proposed social housing on the site and who will own it? Is CV suddenly the developer / owner as well?

I believe it is the Winnipeg Housing Rehabilitation Corp that is developing/paying for it.

They built the big residential building at 840 Ravelston Ave out by Park City Commons a few years back.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 11:24 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labroco View Post
Is that for parking garage and public safety building?

Is their plan to hold the title of the project in perpetuity or to sell on completion and just write off and loss at that time? How are they mandated to raise $30,000,000 to build the project? Who guarantees the loan and or loss?

As I have said before, I consider any use other than for RRC very short sighted.
Always looking for a reason to yell ‘Ah Ha!’ At Centre Venture. The plan is on their web site.

Yes. Winnipeg Housing.

If RRC wants any or all of the site north of the housing and market, they are able to apply. I hope they do. Personally I think it would not be responsible to let a huge important site like that to sit empty on a hope that one day RRC decides they are able to develop it. Having it open to any developer is the best way to finance the projects and ensure diversity of uses.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 3:26 AM

I completely agree TV.

If RRC has a plan or need imminent, great. If not, let the open market take a stab at it. That being said, with the RRC innovation centre now above ground, the college could very well already have a plan for its next move in the Exchange. It's not like this land becoming available is a surprise. With Elgin set to become closed off to create more of a campus feel, a building across Princess would be a smart play.

Whatever happens I hope to hell that aside from the market, the rest of the Marketlands plan is completely scrapped and the buildings are developed to front onto King and Princess. I'm very nervous.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 4:53 AM

Market lands project vision • june 2019

Here is the latest on the Market Lands redevelopment site:

The Market Lands has been fueled by conversation. After more than two years of public consultation, planning, and design, a dramatic redevelopment vision has emerged. Area residents, businesses, creators, and all those who love the Exchange District have shaped the project, providing the foundation and the life it needs to succeed and redefine the heart of this historic
part of our city.

The Market Lands will be a place for exchanging ideas, art and business. It will be a meeting place for creators, full of big and little discoveries. It will be a destination where Winnipeggers and tourists alike can experience the best of Winnipeg’s past reflected into the future.

THE CREATIVE HUB
The heart of the Market Lands project is a new seamless “Creative Hub” that will fill nearly an acre on the southern parcel of the site. The Creative Hub will provide creators with access to shared space, equipment and other resources to advance the skills needed to thrive in, and contribute to, the creative economy. These spaces will provide venues to collaborate, innovate, exhibit, and sell creative products.
Fully interactive and accessible to the public, the Creative Hub will build awareness, appreciation, and markets for Manitoba’s creative talent and products. The Creative Hub includes three integrated and complementary components:

Source: MARKET LANDS PROJECT VISION • JUNE 2019.PDF

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 1:01 PM

Has the City made any sort of commitment to leasing some of the office space as a way of getting the project off the ground? It would seem to me that doing that would be a great way for the City to help this project maximize its chances of success while also benefitting from having a more central location for its departments... pulling in some of the more far flung offices strikes me as a good thing. Get rid of these monuments to the Katz era, i.e. Board of Adjustment in a Shindico strip mall on Pembina

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 1:22 PM
What could go wrong?

The Board of Adjustment is no longer there. Moved out at the beginning of the year. They must have feared the wrath of Esquire not approving of them in a Shindico strip mall.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
The Board of Adjustment is no longer there. Moved out at the beginning of the year. They must have feared the wrath of Esquire not approving of them in a Shindico strip mall.
Well son of a gun, you made my day. According to the Google, it is now located in the former city archives on William...but how can that be? I thought that building was still water damaged?

But that said, there are still some less egregious examples of far-flung civic departments that could be moved to the Marketlands site.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan