HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 4:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah_Dave View Post
Delts, is that the latest rendering of the Richie group project? I almost didn’t recognize it at 1st. It’s changed quite a bit over time.

If this info is good, I’m glad to see it moving forward. That area could use some new development love.
Good question. I double checked their website and yes, that appears to be the latest rendering.

The Ritchie Group

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 4:26 AM
One Thing At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by meman View Post

Also, does anyone know what the hell is going on with Regent Street??

Another Business has closed (Last Desserts) along with Fireside.
Are they being charged exorbitant rents?
Isnt the landlord for these properties the LDS Church?
I think the main struggle for Regent is that they didn’t follow through on the vision very well. The plaza is just a concrete slab. The church has taken their sweet time filling their retail spaces and I know art is subjective but holy crap is pages of salt a big waste of 2 million dollars. Talk about low impact! Fireside struggled being the only thing on the street for over a year and Mike is a talented chef but I think the price point was too high. Charging more than double for pizza that you can get at NoNo at 9th and 9th. The place needs a coffee shop and a bar and patios with seating. Put some more effort into the plaza and pay some local artists to make way better art for a fraction of the price.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 4:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePusherMan View Post
I think the main struggle for Regent is that they didn’t follow through on the vision very well. The plaza is just a concrete slab. The church has taken their sweet time filling their retail spaces and I know art is subjective but holy crap is pages of salt a big waste of 2 million dollars. Talk about low impact! Fireside struggled being the only thing on the street for over a year and Mike is a talented chef but I think the price point was too high. Charging more than double for pizza that you can get at NoNo at 9th and 9th. The place needs a coffee shop and a bar and patios with seating. Put some more effort into the plaza and pay some local artists to make way better art for a fraction of the price.
Yeah, I'm with you, the art is a bit underwhelming, and a bar would be fantastic there but I believe it's a stipulation of leasing space there that no alcohol can be served. The LDS landlords want this to be a vibrant street with a nightlife, but they prohibit many of the things that would make it so.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 10:29 AM

I actually didn't know that the LDS Church owned the Regent Street properties. Bummer. That kills a lot of my hope for that vision.

No alcohol being allowed basically kills any chance of that becoming a real vibrant street.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 10:34 AM

Also looks like the Industry SLC renovation of the 500 West/600 South block is set to start very soon. I'm excited to see the Granary District continue to evolve.

https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/ind...-opening-soon/

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2019/11/...alt-lake-city/

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
I actually didn't know that the LDS Church owned the Regent Street properties. Bummer. That kills a lot of my hope for that vision.

No alcohol being allowed basically kills any chance of that becoming a real vibrant street.
...doesn't the LDS Church also own the restaurants in City Creek? Cheesecake Factory and some of the others serve alcohol. I thought Fireside did as well.

And whichever Regent Street businesses come and go, as long as Pretty Bird is there, I'll continue going there. Because holy shiiiiit

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 3:04 PM

There was a good story on KUER yesterday about how the construction boom is good, but how there's a shortage of workers that could be bumping up the price on some of these projects... https://www.kuer.org/post/utah-const...etition-fierce

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 5:13 PM
SLC Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedikermit View Post
...doesn't the LDS Church also own the restaurants in City Creek? Cheesecake Factory and some of the others serve alcohol. I thought Fireside did as well.

And whichever Regent Street businesses come and go, as long as Pretty Bird is there, I'll continue going there. Because holy shiiiiit
The church condo-ized the liquor serving outlets (Cheesecake et al) so it could divest itself from alcohol revenue. It did the same for the glassed-in corner piece at the SE corner of 100 S. and Regent for the same purpose. No takers thus far on that one. They should divest from all Regent retail for the same purposes. They have God's checkbook so they can be very patient. Small businesses? Not so much.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 6:35 PM
One Thing At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedikermit View Post

The west side of the street isn’t church owned so the pretty bird space and the Fireside space are the only hope for a bar/booze on the street. Pretty Bird sells PBR. Fireside had a full restaurant liquor license.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 3:48 PM

Photo Bump

Downtown Update - November 9th - The Marmalade District Project

Rendering of the southwest corner of the Marmalade mixed-use project. Image courtesy Salt Lake City planning documents.

Photo Update By Scott Harding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post

The large Marmalade housing project had its official ground breaking today:

https://www.abc4.com/news/salt-lake-...block-project/
Downtown/West - Salt Lake City breaks ground on ‘Marmalade Block’ project

SALT LAKE CITY (ABC4 News) – A ceremonial groundbreaking was held Wednesday evening for a new mixed-use development project in the West Capitol Hill neighborhood. Members of the Salt Lake City Council were on-hand for the
Harvest at Marmalade presentation. The new development will comprise of three mixed-used building with 252 apartments, 12 office units and 2,400 square feet of commercial space. Harvest is the third piece of the four-part Marmalade
Block Development. The first, the Marmalade Branch of the Salt Lake City Public Library was completed in 2016, and the second, the Grove at Marmalade Townhomes completed in fall 2018.

“The library which was built about three years ago has really provided kind of a central hub for the community to gather around. And we feel like the addition of this project is really just going to complete that focus and really have a
transformational effect on the Marmalade Community,” said Micah Peters, CEO of Clearwater Homes.

The fourth component, an inner-block public plaza featuring green space and public art, will be constructed following Harvest’s completion.

Rendering of the northwest corner of the Marmalade mixed-use project. Image courtesy Salt Lake City planning documents.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 1:54 PM

Photo Bump

Haha, What happened? Everything was really active then all of the sudden you guys have dropped off the face of the earth for three days. Anyway, here's a photo bump. I love this project! Can't get enough of reuse development like this.

Converting this old foundry in Salt Lake City into trendy office space ‘is just the beginning,’ developers say

...Developers are overhauling the vast interior of an early 20th-century former foundry at about 500 West and 700 South to turn it into new offices, in one of the largest examples of reusing old structures now underway in Utah’s capital.

Ellen and Jason Winkler, the husband-and-wife team behind a company called Industry, say they’ll start with about 110,000 square feet of flexible office space, spread beneath the renovated foundry’s two-story ceilings, brick walls and rugged steel framework. They want to appeal to workers in the state’s growing tech and creative sectors, luring their employers with spaces offering vintage character and amenities like shared kitchens, rooftop decks and an interior courtyard.

Ellen and Jason Winkler, the husband-and-wife team behind a company called Industry, Picture by Trent Nelson of the Salt Lake Tribune

(Trent Nelson | The Salt Lake Tribune) Industry is a Denver-based developer renovating an old foundry in Salt Lake City's Granarly District.

https://www.sltrib.com/resizer/7sgoh...L5VIXHI37I.jpg

Renderings of Foundry Makeover When Completed. Images courtesy Salt Lake City Department of Economic Development and BuildingSaltLake.com

Interior rendering of the proposed INDUSTRY development. Image courtesy Salt Lake City Department of Economic Development.

Interior rendering of the proposed INDUSTRY development. Image courtesy Salt Lake City Department of Economic Development.

The interior of the warehouse that will be converted into a collaborative workspace. Image courtesy Salt Lake City Department of Economic Development.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 4:48 PM

This little nugget at the end of the Taylor's article. Does anyone know anything about this? Will this be long term?

"Sugar Alley will be separated from Dixon Place only by McClelland Street and the eight-story Sugarmont Apartments, which have apparently stalled during the late stages of development."

https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/dev...n-sugar-house/

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 8:17 PM

Kensington Tower Info

More info on the Kensington Tower design review was recently attached on the Citizen Access Portal. It's the Staff Report from the SLC Planning Commission (67 page .pdf), dated November 7, 2019, and a letter approving the Design Review request, dated November 14, 2019. It has additional renderings I don't think have been posted yet.

I'm not sure how to post it all here (maybe one of you could?), but it looks like things continue to progress.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Sunny in SLC View Post
This little nugget at the end of the Taylor's article. Does anyone know anything about this? Will this be long term?

"Sugar Alley will be separated from Dixon Place only by McClelland Street and the eight-story Sugarmont Apartments, which have apparently stalled during the late stages of development."

https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/dev...n-sugar-house/
Good news about Dixon Place and Sugar Alley. Kinda weird about Sugarmont. That's a pretty big project to come so far and suddenly halt. I can only assume there's some kind of financial difficulty. Maybe Makid or Airhero have heard some skuttlebutt on the matter.

It seems to me that Sugarmont is one of the more elaborate developments in the valley. Hey, it's elaborate even by most standards of what I'm seeing here in L.A. as far as mid-rise residential goes in places like Hollywood, or generally in the more upscale districts on the West Side of L.A. Someone is bound to step in at this point and finish it if there is some kind of financial insolvency.

Last edited by delts145; Nov 20, 2019 at 1:08 AM.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Good news about Dixon Place and Sugar Alley. Kinda weird about Sugarmont. That's a pretty big project to come so far and suddenly halt. I can only assume there's some kind of financial difficulty. Maybe Makid or Airhero have heard some skuttlebutt on the matter.

It seems to me that Sugarmont is one of the most elaborate facilities in the valley. Hey, it's elaborate even by most standards of what I'm seeing here in L.A. as far as mid-rise residential goes in places like Hollywood, or generally on the more upscale districts on the West Side of L.A.
On the Facebook post for Building Salt Lake, one of the people mentioned that they accidentally made the building 8 feet taller than they were supposed to. This sounded absurd to me, but I am wondering if there is any validity to that.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 1:14 AM

The Sugarhouse council website gave an update on what happened with the Sugarmont apartments a couple weeks back. https://www.sugarhousecouncil.org/co...tion-projects/

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 1:23 AM

How's Pierpont looking these days? That project should be finishing up about now. Anyone passing by it, take a shot with your phone. Thanks in advance!!

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 2:58 AM

Fencing has gone up at the Broadway Apts site, an excavator is onsite and digging has begun.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 3:28 AM
One Thing At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
How's Pierpont looking these days? That project should be finishing up about now. Anyone passing by it, take a shot with your phone. Thanks in advance!!

This is complete and looks great. I didn’t like the cement base at first when it was being built but the rusted balconies really tie it together with the brick portion.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 3:36 AM
One Thing At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC PopPunk View Post
Fencing has gone up at the Broadway Apts site, an excavator is onsite and digging has begun.
Did we ever see better renderings of this project? The ones on downtown rising are really really basic.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West