HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 2:01 PM

Some other overpasses in Saskatoon area

https://globalnews.ca/news/3810035/n...uction-update/

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post
Wow, I can only dream of the day Winnipeg will have more than one interchange being built at once. Good to know a city with 1/3 of the population is working on an effective road network AND is already studying a bus rapid transit system. That's not even considering all the interchanges with the regina bypass
Regina has 11 interchanges U/C. Four, I believe, are full 110kph, system interchanges with no stopping or signals in any direction.

In the last month I was driving in both Calgary and Winnipeg. The difference in road infrastructure between the two cities is stark. Winnipeg seems at least 20 years behind and getting worse.

Last edited by Stormer; Oct 18, 2017 at 4:10 PM.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 3:48 PM

^ You guys would laugh at how few interchanges have been built in the Winnipeg area (both municipal streets and provincial highways) in recent years. Here are the ones I can think of, am I missing any?

-Bishop Grandin @ Kenaston - 2014
-CCW @ 101 interchange - 2013
-7 @ 101 - not sure, maybe 1991?
-Bishop Grandin @ Pembina - 1990

There is a biggie under construction right now (59@101), but that's a total rebuild and expansion of a pre-existing interchange as opposed to a new one.

So basically 4 new interchanges over 30 years. IIRC the only one outside of the Winnipeg region built in that timeframe was Highway 1 on the Portage Bypass, so literally 5 new interchanges for the entire province in the last 30 year period. Nearly all of them were built during the 1955-1985 timeframe, and I would think there must be an awful lot more traffic now than there was in the postwar years.

I think it's safe to say no one considers me a pave-everything freeway advocate, but even I find this situation a little bizarre.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ You guys would laugh at how few interchanges have been built in the Winnipeg area (both municipal streets and provincial highways) in recent years. Here are the ones I can think of, am I missing any?

-Bishop Grandin @ Kenaston - 2014
-CCW @ 101 interchange - 2013
-7 @ 101 - not sure, maybe 1991?
-Bishop Grandin @ Pembina - 1990

There is a biggie under construction right now (59@101), but that's a total rebuild and expansion of a pre-existing interchange as opposed to a new one.

So basically 4 new interchanges over 30 years. IIRC the only one outside of the Winnipeg region built in that timeframe was Highway 1 on the Portage Bypass, so literally 5 new interchanges for the entire province in the last 30 year period. Nearly all of them were built during the 1955-1985 timeframe, and I would think there must be an awful lot more traffic now than there was in the postwar years.

I think it's safe to say no one considers me a pave-everything freeway advocate, but even I find this situation a little bizarre.
20+ years between building any interchanges? What does your province do with gas tax money it collects and gets from the feds? Sounds like next to none of it goes back into roads. Also sounds like the city and/or province never submit proposals to the feds to get national infrastructure funding for key road projects. If hated Edmonton and Calgary can get funding I don't see why Winnipeg wouldn't be able to if they presented good cases for why their projects meet the criteria. Do developers ever offer to help fund interchange projects to make it easier for people to access their projects?

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
Do developers ever offer to help fund interchange projects to make it easier for people to access their projects?
LMAO

As far as I know, a lot of the gas tax money tends to go to maintenance and upkeep. Most if not all of the 50s, 60s and 70s interchanges have all been rebuilt or heavily overhauled, highways resurfaced and in some cases twinned, new bridges and railway grade separations, etc. Tons of money to northern roads where the network is still primitive. Pretty well anything but new interchanges.

I don't think we need to start building them 10 at a time, but to my mind there should always be an interchange on the go. Even if one interchange takes 4 years pillar to post on average, as soon as it's done get going on the next one. Had the province/city done that, that would have meant somewhere around 7 more interchanges in and around Winnipeg since the late 80s, which would have had at least some impact on traffic.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 6:09 PM

Quote:
LMAO

As far as I know, a lot of the gas tax money tends to go to maintenance and upkeep. Most if not all of the 50s, 60s and 70s interchanges have all been rebuilt or heavily overhauled, highways resurfaced and in some cases twinned, new bridges and railway grade separations, etc. Tons of money to northern roads where the network is still primitive. Pretty well anything but new interchanges.

I don't think we need to start building them 10 at a time, but to my mind there should always be an interchange on the go. Even if one interchange takes 4 years pillar to post on average, as soon as it's done get going on the next one. Had the province/city done that, that would have meant somewhere around 7 more interchanges in and around Winnipeg since the late 80s, which would have had at least some impact on traffic.
Maybe Winnipeg should start asking developers to help fund interchanges. It happens elsewhere and in some cases developers even initiate the process.

Maintenance, rehab, etc. happens elsewhere and interchanges still get built. I agree that 10 at a time don't need to be built unless it's a completely new freeway being done as a P3. Has Winnipeg and/or Manitoba seriously looked into using a P3 model to build major roads? It sounds like it would be a huge benefit to everyone there if they did.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 7:11 AM
Back from the dead

It's odd. You'd think the NDP would build interchanges and whatnot as some sort of public make-work project. Nope. So you think that PCs would do it but they're too busy claiming to keep the roads paved. Nope.

Nobody does it. But they also claim that they want to capitalize on our geographic fortune and turn the place into a transportation and logistics hub. Not a single freeway in the entire province. Accidents piling up (literally) The entire rest of the world passing us by. Do you realize that Winnipeg is the only city of over half a million people in the developed world (and most of the developing as well) without one single limited access roadway? It's not just pathetic, it's mystifying.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 2:52 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
Do you realize that Winnipeg is the only city of over half a million people in the developed world (and most of the developing as well) without one single limited access roadway? It's not just pathetic, it's mystifying.
Yet some here are proud of this. Fucking Chicoutimi has a freeway.

If we had freeways, opening the main downtown intersection would be a no-brainer. But because it involves our main central traffic artery, if it happens it will be a disaster.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 2:55 PM

Resistance to improved transportation infrastructure is a bit of a Winnipeg thing... witness the lack of progress on rapid transit.

But that said, a full-on freeway is not really a must IMO, just having a few strategically placed interchanges could break up some real bottlenecks and eliminate safety hazards.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2018, 7:19 PM

Here is proposal to redo cloverleaf on Saskatoon circle drive

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...ange-1.4539782

Old Posted Feb 18, 2018, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bess View Post

Having just driven to Saskatoon last week (from Regina) and nearly getting into an accident at that exact interchange, I agree with replacing it! Regina also has one exactly like it (Highway 1 / Albert St S) that I almost get into accidents at weekly. The issue in both cases is that the cloverleaf is so small that the on/off ramps are only 30-50m long, and traffic getting into the highways always fails to yield to faster traffic leaving the highway.

That's a big price tag, though. Imagine that kind of money going to hospital improvements, or things like that.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2018, 2:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bess View Post

Awesome, nice to see Saskatoon be in a position that redoing interchanges to make them safer. Manitoba is decades away from that happening

Old Posted Feb 19, 2018, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festivus View Post
Having just driven to Saskatoon last week (from Regina) and nearly getting into an accident at that exact interchange, I agree with replacing it! Regina also has one exactly like it (Highway 1 / Albert St S) that I almost get into accidents at weekly. The issue in both cases is that the cloverleaf is so small that the on/off ramps are only 30-50m long, and traffic getting into the highways always fails to yield to faster traffic leaving the highway.

That's a big price tag, though. Imagine that kind of money going to hospital improvements, or things like that.
...but $280 million??? Has there ever been a fatal there? It seems to me that there are many other more inconvenient and dangerous intersections around Saskatoon that could use some of this money.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2018, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
...but $280 million??? Has there ever been a fatal there? It seems to me that there are many other more inconvenient and dangerous intersections around Saskatoon that could use some of this money.
Idylwild and Circle Drive N? That intersection is a shiteshow at least 12 hours a day.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2018, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Makes the Ring Road rail line bridge guestimate look downright reasonable.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 9:13 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappcam View Post
Idylwild and Circle Drive N? That intersection is a shiteshow at least 12 hours a day.
I've always wondered how that could be fixed. I mean, I guess they could spend next to a billion dollars if they want to use the current footprint to make it a total free flowing interchange. On the other hand, would a diverging interchange make a difference?

Incidentally, yes, a few strategically placed interchanges would make a world of difference in Winnipeg but the province would seriously benefit from making 101-and 100 totally free flowing, limited access (actual freeways) From there it could then work on 75 and 1 going out from Winnipeg.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
Incidentally, yes, a few strategically placed interchanges would make a world of difference in Winnipeg but the province would seriously benefit from making 101-and 100 totally free flowing, limited access (actual freeways) From there it could then work on 75 and 1 going out from Winnipeg.
The province announced that sort of upgrade for the South Perimeter last summer but as always, no real details of any kind have been made public.

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/manitoba...ades-1.3528579

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 4:03 PM

Quote:
The province announced that sort of upgrade for the South Perimeter last summer but as always, no real details of any kind have been made public.

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/manitoba...ades-1.3528579
Hasn't a functional design contract been awarded for that?

Regardless, the functional design will take 2 years, the province will twiddle their thumbs once it's released because proper infrastructure costs too much for the PC's liking, and by the time money will be stashed for a measly diamond interchange, the functional design will be out of date requiring a new one to be complete. Rince and repeat à la Manitoba.

Before we know it the rest of the world will have road networks capable of accommodating self driving cars and we'll be stuck bragging about non-committal plans to build 'US interstate standard diamond interchanges'

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 2:43 AM
What could go wrong?

Believe the functional design was awarded to Dillon. I can’t remember for sure.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 3:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biff View Post
believe the functional design was awarded to dillon. I can’t remember for sure.
wsp

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan