HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 13, 2013, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
CJOB is confirming this morning that Kennaston at 101 (Perimeter) will be getting an interchange when the extension is built. I wonder if there is a possibility of it continuing across the Perimeter and having that be part of the St Nobert by-pass.
That was always the plan as I understood it - the interchange at Kenaston and 100 was mainly intended to service the St. Norbert bypass.

Of course, this is going to push a lot of truck traffic up Kenaston toward Route 90 and Bishop Grandin. It really makes you wonder about how Waverley West was designed... the "walkable" town square basically sits between the northbound and southbound lanes of a busy high speed route with large numbers of semi-trailers barreling down it day and night. I hope parents don't let their kids walk or ride their bikes to the convenience store because carnage could well ensue...

Kenaston is shown here in red:

Old Posted Nov 13, 2013, 4:04 PM

Quote:
CJOB is confirming this morning that Kennaston at 101 (Perimeter) will be getting an interchange when the extension is built. I wonder if there is a possibility of it continuing across the Perimeter and having that be part of the St Nobert by-pass.
Confirming that the interchange will be constructed at that time? Or just confirming that an interchange is planned at some point?

Curious to know what the intersection configuration will be where St. Norbert bypass links to hwy 75. Possibly a simple flyover for hwy 75 NB traffic?

Old Posted Nov 13, 2013, 4:08 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
That was always the plan as I understood it - the interchange at Kenaston and 100 was mainly intended to service the St. Norbert bypass.

Of course, this is going to push a lot of truck traffic up Kenaston toward Route 90 and Bishop Grandin. It really makes you wonder about how Waverley West was designed... the "walkable" town square basically sits between the northbound and southbound lanes of a busy high speed route with large numbers of semi-trailers barreling down it day and night. I hope parents don't let their kids walk or ride their bikes to the convenience store because carnage could well ensue...

Kenaston is shown here in red:

I actually think I said this exact thing about a year and a half ago...

What's the point of having a walkable (and I use that term loosely) town centre when you have 2 high speed streets making it essentially an island unto itself? They will still build everything to the automobile scale to capture the people driving through and there goes your pedestrian orientation...

It's horses**t what this city accepts as "pedestrian design".

EDIT: Wow, nevermind the fact that Bison Drive will more than likely be a 2 lane divided street with a design speed of 60... so it will essentially be 2 islands with a huge street to cross to get from one to the other.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2013, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reignman View Post
Curious to know what the intersection configuration will be where St. Norbert bypass links to hwy 75. Possibly a simple flyover for hwy 75 NB traffic?
A set of traffic lights?

Old Posted Nov 13, 2013, 4:19 PM

I'm confused.

CJOB confirmed that Kenaston/100 will be getting an interchange when the extension is built. So is that this coming summer? The Kenaston extension is slated to be complete about a year from now. Or the interchange will be built when the St. Norbert bypass goes through?

Edit:

Quote from CJOB website:
"Selinger also confirms there will be a new cloverleaf going in along the Perimeter Highway. He says it will go at the intersection of Route 90 and the Perimeter, once the Kenaston extension is finished."

http://www.cjob.com/2013/11/13/plan-to-fix-highway-75/

So that sounds like they'll put the lights up, then build an interchange. Maybe shed more light when the PTH 75 plan is released later today.

Last edited by bomberjet; Nov 13, 2013 at 4:23 PM. Reason: Added stuff.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2013, 4:35 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I'm confused.

CJOB confirmed that Kenaston/100 will be getting an interchange when the extension is built. So is that this coming summer? The Kenaston extension is slated to be complete about a year from now. Or the interchange will be built when the St. Norbert bypass goes through?

Edit:

Quote from CJOB website:
"Selinger also confirms there will be a new cloverleaf going in along the Perimeter Highway. He says it will go at the intersection of Route 90 and the Perimeter, once the Kenaston extension is finished."

http://www.cjob.com/2013/11/13/plan-to-fix-highway-75/

So that sounds like they'll put the lights up, then build an interchange. Maybe shed more light when the PTH 75 plan is released later today.

This is the kind of planning by our government that baffles the shit out of me. Currently, because the Kenaston extension to the Perimeter is not finished there is zero traffic there. So they are going to finish the extension and place a set of traffic lights at an at grade intersection. Then maybe 3 or 4 years later they will begin to build the St Norbert Bypass and have to make detours and disrupt the now flowing traffic at this relatively new intersection created just years earlier.

Why not do it at the same time. CCW and the west Perimeter built its interchange with the Headingly bypass in mind so there will not be a second disruption to the Perimeter Hwy.

The waste of money for a 2 or 3 year difference in schedule is absolutely ridiculous. Baaaaaaah........

This Gem from the Throne Speech is bull shit too:

"A multi year complete reconstruction of Highway 75 to interstate standards for floods." That is the key term here - for floods. Why not make it to "Interstate Standards" period if you are serious about the future of CentrePort and the economy.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Nov 13, 2013, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
This Gem from the Throne Speech is bull shit too:

"A multi year complete reconstruction of Highway 75 to interstate standards for floods." That is the key term here - for floods. Why not make it to "Interstate Standards" period if you are serious about the future of CentrePort and the economy.
From Selingers words below, I take it as the plan IS to upgrade the entire stretch of 75 from Winnipeg to US border to interstate standards. I should clarify that I am not saying I believe that will happen though!

“It will meet international standards, in other words 1-29 in North Dakota. We’ll take it to that level,” he says.

Selinger says it will be a multi year project. The province pledged to raise part of the highway so it doesn’t need to be closed so often during floods, in its throne speech yesterday.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2013, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
A set of traffic lights?
Maybe I should have said, what would intersection configuration in a forward thinking province be? lol

Old Posted Nov 13, 2013, 5:09 PM

Quote:
From Selingers words below, I take it as the plan IS to upgrade the entire stretch of 75 from Winnipeg to US border to interstate standards. I should clarify that I am not saying I believe that will happen though!

“It will meet international standards, in other words 1-29 in North Dakota. We’ll take it to that level,” he says.

Selinger says it will be a multi year project. The province pledged to raise part of the highway so it doesn’t need to be closed so often during floods, in its throne speech yesterday.
I believe the plan also entails re-routing the river ways and the use of hydraulics, as to more than just raising the grade of the roadways.

Hey this is the only thread on this forum that can give me a headache reading, "Bypasses and Interchanges...in Manitoba that is....."

Old Posted Nov 13, 2013, 6:17 PM

http://news.gov.mb.ca/news/index.htm...ve=&item=19531

News release about PTH 75. So seems the interstate standards are just flooding standards. $215m budget.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2013, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
http://news.gov.mb.ca/news/index.htm...ve=&item=19531

News release about PTH 75. So seems the interstate standards are just flooding standards. $215m budget.
I believe the flooding standards to be put in place only protect 75 to conditions similar to the 2011 flood in scope, which still means that they do not guarantee the roadway would not be shut down for shorter periods of time.(NDP budget cost saving measure), we'll see I guess

Old Posted Nov 13, 2013, 6:48 PM

Minister Ashton while discussing the HWY 75 upgrades indicated that the St Norbert by-pass is more "long term" than short term. Based on HWY 75 being a five year plan and the Kennaston/101 interchange seeming to be towards the end of that same period I would put the St Norbert by-pass on the 10-year list. I would also hazard a guess that 101/2/3 interchange is on the closer end of the 10 year list since once the Kennaston interchange and St Norbert by pass are built it would be the only at-grade intersection between CentrePort and HWY 75.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2013, 6:58 PM

Don't forget about the new lights/future interchange at PR 330...

Otherwise I think you're pretty close to what should happen. Does anyone know if there will be more info coming out about the southwest Perimeter reconstruction?

Old Posted Nov 13, 2013, 7:17 PM

Doesn't "Interstate Standards" mean grade separation of the entire road? I think this road standard should be re-classified "Manitoba Standard" by no means is it "Interstate Standard"

Old Posted Nov 13, 2013, 8:01 PM

To be clear, the province said to interstate flooding standards lol not interstate roadway standards. That would just be crazy talk!

Although give MIT credit, they are doing (or will be doing) the right thing on the perimeter over the next while. Hopefully..

Old Posted Nov 13, 2013, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Thank goodness. Annoying enough that they are closing Waverly at 101 which I use every day but to not have an interchange would be idiotic.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2013, 9:38 PM

Just for clarity - 100 refers to the Perimeter south of the Trans Canada, and 101 refers to the Perimeter north of the Trans Canada. 100, the south by-pass, is actually part of the Trans Canada.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2013, 3:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
This is the kind of planning by our government that baffles the shit out of me. Currently, because the Kenaston extension to the Perimeter is not finished there is zero traffic there. So they are going to finish the extension and place a set of traffic lights at an at grade intersection. Then maybe 3 or 4 years later they will begin to build the St Norbert Bypass and have to make detours and disrupt the now flowing traffic at this relatively new intersection created just years earlier.

Why not do it at the same time. CCW and the west Perimeter built its interchange with the Headingly bypass in mind so there will not be a second disruption to the Perimeter Hwy.
The more I think about it, this just makes me wonder how much truth there really is to this plan. Is this just another empty promise to sway pissed off voters for next provincial election? I mean, c'mon....MIT is not stupid. They know what the plans and approximate timelines are both north and south of this interchange. If they truly planned to build this thing, why not start ahead of time to prevent the need for future traffic disruptions and cost of constructing detours. At least start with the SE and SW loops to serve the Kenaston extension...the other two can be added when St. Norbert bypass is started as is being done with CCW.

I have a feeling that if (BIG if) Selinger gets another term, when Kenaston is finally extended to 100 we will hear the same BS we hear for both the 1/16 and 59/101 interchanges....no money, design changes, it's a priority, but maybe next year...blah blah blah.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2013, 4:50 AM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
The more I think about it, this just makes me wonder how much truth there really is to this plan. Is this just another empty promise to sway pissed off voters for next provincial election?
Yes. There is no truth to this, and certainly no planning involved as seen in the ease at which anyone can pick it apart. Just more spin from a financially and morally bankrupt government. Investments like highways and bridges are not in their best interest as they don't provide union dues in perpetuity, only during construction. That is all that matters to them.

It's what families want!

Old Posted Nov 14, 2013, 2:29 PM
Heart of the Continent

In their defence, this government is the first in a very long time to actually increase infrastructure spending by any large amount. The highways budget now s three times what it was in 2005.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan