HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devon View Post
I remember when there was a parkade on the corner of Victoria and Hamilton?....I vaguely remember it being demolished too. Not sure what it was for though. The only reason I remember it is because of its spirally nature and the fact that you could climb on to the very highest part of it. Probably not the safest thing to do!
That was the parkade for "The Bay store".

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indescribable View Post
Wasn't there a Simpsons-Sears on Hamilton Street?
I watched the abandoned Simpson's burn in the 70's. It took two days.

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 9:54 PM

Does anybody else remember when the Muppets were at the Science Centre?

Old Posted May 12, 2010, 3:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babo View Post
I'm trying to remember where and when Records On Wheels first opened and when Music Plus closed for good. What ever happened to Martin (last name escapes me at the moment)?
I don't remember the location of Records on Wheels, but going way back there were a couple of popular record stores I used to frequent...

Sam The Record Man was located on the Scarth Street Mall, about half way down on the east side I believe. Closed some time in the 80's...I think.

And on Broad Street just south of 7th Avenue there was a place called Kelly's Stereo Mart. I recall that they sold records, stereo equipment and maybe even instruments. I think it closed around 1987 as I bought some records there during their final sale, and it was shortly after that CD's and CD players took over.

Old Posted May 16, 2010, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brithgob View Post
Does anybody else remember when the Muppets were at the Science Centre?
I remember when the Science Center was a power plant. That was before the Muppets and even Sesame Street existed.

Old Posted May 16, 2010, 8:54 PM

It was always a Safeway... that's where my family almost always shopped for groceries. Dominion was in the Southland, but then Safeway bought it and closed the Whitmore Park store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babo View Post
Was the Whitmore Park Safeway always a Safeway? I want to say it was a Dominion before that, but I might be confusing it with the Dominion that was in the Southland Mall.

Old Posted May 16, 2010, 8:59 PM

Corner of 11th Ave & Hamilton St., where the Conexus Plaza building is now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indescribable View Post
Wasn't there a Simpsons-Sears on Hamilton Street?

Last edited by drm310; May 16, 2010 at 8:59 PM. Reason: Missed something

Old Posted May 16, 2010, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drm310 View Post
Corner of 11th Ave & Hamilton St., where the Conexus Plaza building is now.
But it was just Simpsons, NOT Simpsons-Sears, which was a joint venture with Sears Roebuck. The deal was that they couldn't open a Simpsons-Sears within 50 miles of an existing Simpsons store, which included the one in Regina. However, the joint-venture did take over the Regina-based catalogue operation.

Old Posted May 19, 2010, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
I watched the abandoned Simpson's burn in the 70's. It took two days.
I remember going downtown after the fire and they had fire hoses set up to pour water on the remains of the building.

And of course its earlier days, the store had the fancy Christmas window displays every year.

Old Posted May 23, 2010, 10:33 PM

I believe it is a physiotherapist clinic now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spictacular mcluvin View Post
I remember Strathcona Elementary School (cause i went there the last year it was opened) which is on Broad St between 14th & 15th Ave. It is now a Shoppers and some Condos.

Oh and the Shoppers used to be across the street to the North, building is still there but I don't know what it currently is

Old Posted May 23, 2010, 10:36 PM

There was a Geno's on North Albert as well, where BP's is now. That was the first time I ever had a steak sandwich with spaghetti instead of fries...

Quote:
...We used to have a really good pizza place in the 80's just off of Albert Street south near the Southland Mall called Geno's

Old Posted May 23, 2010, 10:46 PM

Wasn't it Uncle Fred's Chicken on the Run? I thought they were trying to avoid copyright infringement with 12 (not 11 as in KFC) herbs and spices, and they claimed it was "thumb lickin' good". There was one on the corner of Albert and Dewdney kitty corner to McDonalds. Then it was a Mr. Sub, and is now a Sasktel Mobility place isn't it?

Speaking of that location does anybody remember Ruby Tuesday's? And wasn't there a place called "The Last Spike"? Anybody know where that was?

Quote:
I don't know if it's the place I am thinking of BUT if it isn't you just reminded me of an awesome fried chicken place that we used to go to instead of KFC when i was a kid. It was called CHICKEN ON THE RUN! Does anyone know where that was?

Old Posted May 23, 2010, 10:57 PM

The Met store on Scarth St. (both before and after the Scarth St. Mall project) It had one of the best lunch counters.

My mom used to get her hair done in a salon above the "Sally Shops", and would give me $2 to go get fries and a milk shake. Back when it was "safe" for a 6 year old kid to be on his own downtown on a Saturday morning.

Sorry if I seem to be adding all of these at once, but I just discovered this site, and you all have brought back some incredible memories for me. Was born and raised in Regina, now in Saskatoon.

Oh, before I go, does anybody remember Len's Lunch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drm310 View Post
Downtown: Kresge; the "Malt Stop" in the old Bay building; Simpson-Sears on Hamilton St.; the Broadway, Met, Odeon and Coronet theatres;

Old Posted May 23, 2010, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riderfan5 View Post
Wasn't it Uncle Fred's Chicken on the Run? I thought they were trying to avoid copyright infringement with 12 (not 11 as in KFC) herbs and spices, and they claimed it was "thumb lickin' good". There was one on the corner of Albert and Dewdney kitty corner to McDonalds. Then it was a Mr. Sub, and is now a Sasktel Mobility place isn't it?

Speaking of that location does anybody remember Ruby Tuesday's? And wasn't there a place called "The Last Spike"? Anybody know where that was?
I remember Uncle Fred's... but the location you're thinking of was actually Brownie's Fried Chicken.

I think the Last Spike was part of the original Geno's location, in that general area you're referring to, before Superstore was built. Then later there were the two Geno's at the opposite ends of Albert Street, both now BP's, and I don't think that's a coincidence. There was some sort of connection between Gene's Ltd. and Boston Pizza's expansion in the 90s.

Old Posted May 24, 2010, 1:57 AM

Len's Lunch

I remember Len, he and his wife used to frequent my parents restaurant after he retired.

Old Posted May 24, 2010, 2:34 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
I remember when the Science Center was a power plant. That was before the Muppets and even Sesame Street existed.
I think the old power plant was converted into the science centre in the later 1980's.

Old Posted May 24, 2010, 2:42 AM
Capitalist

Does anyone have an old photo of regina's downtown. Something from the 1940's or 50's would be nice.

Also does anyone have a pic of the old Simpson's Store. The one next to Logger's Shoes on Hamilton Street.

Old Posted May 25, 2010, 2:59 PM

It's Loggie's Shoes, actually... and speaking of them, I'm amazed that they're still around. The business is almost a hundred years old!

http://www.loggieshoes.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
Also does anyone have a pic of the old Simpson's Store. The one next to Logger's Shoes on Hamilton Street.

Old Posted May 25, 2010, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
Does anyone have an old photo of regina's downtown. Something from the 1940's or 50's would be nice.

These are old postcards:

11th Ave early 50s or late 40s, Simpson's on left in front of Old Post Office

Hamilton St. early 60s

11th Ave 1910's? Simpson's on left

Old Posted May 25, 2010, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riderfan5 View Post

It was in the little strip mall on Avonhurst with "Jug n' Loaf, Villa Pizza and Lee's Chop Suey. And a hair salon I think.

Heading east around the bend there was the mall with McLeods, which became Revelstoke which is now Giant Tiger, Had the Saan store in there, and I think Sahara Nights was in there too.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan