HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 3:08 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

I’m now having to delete posts in this thread as well!? Can you guys please respect each other and act like civilized adults. Please. Back to the topic at hand. San Antonio city and metro Transportation.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
I’m now having to delete posts in this thread as well!? Can you guys please respect each other and act like civilized adults. Please. Back to the topic at hand. San Antonio city and metro Transportation.
sirkingwilliam, with all due respect, I think it is just the negativity that SOME people post on this San Antonio thread. I have visited other city threads, and they do not have any ugly bashing negativity as OUR thread has. It is the truth. So. again with all due respect, it is just certain members that try and always find something to instigate no matter what the thread is about. Just watch the pattern of posts among some members, I have. FYI Have a GREAT day sirkingwilliam! TGIF

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 5:08 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeSAView View Post
sirkingwilliam, with all due respect, I think it is just the negativity that SOME people post on this San Antonio thread. I have visited other city threads, and they do not have any ugly bashing negativity as OUR thread has. It is the truth. So. again with all due respect, it is just certain members that try and always find something to instigate no matter what the thread is about. Just watch the pattern of posts among some members, I have. FYI Have a GREAT day sirkingwilliam! TGIF
Agreed. And I'd like to add that there is a comment on the ABIA thread that is instigating toward SAT that I've noticed has not been taken down. Would appreciate that happening. Equality and such.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2019, 1:22 AM

Agreed AwsomeSA, and some of my posts responding to those negative people have been removed, & I'm ok with that. I'll let those negative posters actions speak for themselves in the future.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2019, 3:17 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeSAView View Post
You’re right. It is certain posters, I wasn’t generalizing, speaking directly to those whose posts I repeatedly have to remove. You as well!

Old Posted Nov 9, 2019, 8:32 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
You’re right. It is certain posters, I wasn’t generalizing, speaking directly to those whose posts I repeatedly have to remove. You as well!

https://media.giphy.com/media/bU2nZJegR7rz2/giphy.gif

Old Posted Nov 10, 2019, 8:17 AM
deaththepeople

On another note, I rode the new separated bike lane on Floyd Curl today and found it to be extremely pleasant and pretty. However, there was ALOT of dirt, mud, and rocks over some sections that sometimes actually made it unsafe especially because I was on a road bike. It was really nice to see this infrastructure in SA though despite its faults.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 9:49 PM

2019 Quarter 1 Stats for SAT

This is a comparison of Quarter 1 (January, February, March) 2018 vs 2019 passengers stats of where people fly to/from SAT. These numbers are PDEW (Passengers Daily Each Way) to see which routes are growing/shrinking. Divide the number by 2, as it counts passengers flying XXX-SAT and SAT-XXX each day. These numbers are passengers final destinations, do not include connections ie if someone flies SAT-DFW-DCA, it does not count towards the passenger count of SAT-DFW, only SAT-DCA. To save time, I only compared airports with at least 100 PDEW to/from SAT.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2019, 3:40 PM

Major airline to expand San Antonio service to multiple cities

Quote:
Beginning in June, Southwest will expand service between San Antonio International airport and several other cities. The airline, which cut back on local service this summer as a result of the grounding of Boeing’s 737 Max aircraft due to technical concerns, plans to increase seasonal flight frequencies on existing routes from San Antonio to Atlanta, Nashville, Denver, Houston, Los Angeles, Chicago and St. Louis.

Southwest is also launching a new seasonal, Saturday-only flight to Albuquerque International Sunport.

"When our summer schedule begins on June 7, Southwest will increase options for travelers at San Antonio International Airport by operating up to 58 departures on some days of the week," Southwest Airlines' Brian Parish confirmed.
Some good news for sure. I'm back and forth between Denver and SA or Austin several times a year and prefer SAT to AUS.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2019, 4:43 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by texboy View Post

Major airline to expand San Antonio service to multiple cities

"Beginning in June, Southwest will expand service between San Antonio International airport and several other cities. The airline, which cut back on local service this summer as a result of the grounding of Boeing’s 737 Max aircraft due to technical concerns, plans to increase seasonal flight frequencies on existing routes from San Antonio to Atlanta, Nashville, Denver, Houston, Los Angeles, Chicago and St. Louis."

Some good news for sure. I'm back and forth between Denver and SA or Austin several times a year and prefer SAT to AUS.
Not Boston. Dagnappit!

Old Posted Dec 13, 2019, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
Not Boston. Dagnappit!
For real. They just upped the amount of incentives this week for airlines starting new service with what seemed to be a big emphasis on Boston... so hopefully something soon on that. Seems like a prime opportunity for JetBlue to enter the market or DL to expand offerings.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2019, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texboy View Post
For real. They just upped the amount of incentives this week for airlines starting new service with what seemed to be a big emphasis on Boston... so hopefully something soon on that. Seems like a prime opportunity for JetBlue to enter the market or DL to expand offerings.
Here is the article from the bizjournal that talks about the new incentives. It does not appear to be behind the pay wall, so everyone should be able to access it.

https://www.bizjournals.com/sananton..._news_headline

Per the bizjournal

"These are some of the markets local airport officials have targeted for new service:

Washington, D.C.
New York
Boston
Raleigh-Durham
Sacramento
Orange County, California
Indianapolis
San Jose
Cincinnati
Cleveland
Columbus, Ohio
Pittsburgh
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Hawaii"

Old Posted Dec 14, 2019, 4:29 PM

This is great news. Yea for us! I guess this means Boeing is getting their 737 issues ironed out and the FAA is going to allow them to fly again.
With our steady growth I expect to see more additions.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 10:17 AM

737 MAX flights

This from a Reuters piece on the Boeing decision to put the 737 MAX production line on hold.....
"Southwest Airlines - the world's largest operator of those jets - said on Tuesday it has pushed back cancellations of 737 MAX flights by another five weeks to mid-April, amid uncertainty of just when those grounded jets will be allowed to return to the skies."

I'm wondering what this will do to the announced upgrade in service by Southwest.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 4:14 PM

San Antonio International Airport Celebrates Most Successful Year

Quote:
Official industry travel numbers have been released and San Antonio International Airport (SAT) broke its record for 2019, surpassing the record set in 2018. More than 10.36 million travelers moved through the airport in 2019, setting an all-time record for passenger traffic at SAT.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 2:26 AM

Yet we take a back seat to Austin. They just opened up 10 new gates while we debate whether to allow chick-fil-A in the airport. What is wrong with our leadership?

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 2:59 AM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Yet we take a back seat to Austin. They just opened up 10 new gates while we debate whether to allow chick-fil-A in the airport. What is wrong with our leadership?
I think you've confused bad leadership with the underlying market economics that drives demand for air travel. Austin is just a more attractive market for airlines because it's a lot wealthier, and has been forever. It's really that simple. If the City announced the 1,000 gate airport in New Braunfels of Brad Parscale's et al's dreams, we'd still be a a middle sized market with a high poverty rate, with an economy based on a tourism industry that largely caters to people within driving distance of the city. That's not the recipe for Texas' next super hub airport.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 11:13 AM

Sat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep-SA-Lame View Post
....That's not the recipe for Texas' next super hub airport.
Risking having my post get deleted by a moderator for being too negative, I think the next 'SUPER HUB' for/in Texas is already established and it's 80 miles northeast of us. This is no longer a question of civic pride (my dog's bigger than your dog...us against them) but regional economics. My question is how do we as a region realize what they have and jump on. We see Austin as competition in a lot of ways but let me give you a little insight, they don't see us as in their league. They (ABIA managers) compete with the likes of Nashville, New Orleans and Portland not us. I'm not saying we're some backwater community out looking for a fight but a part of the South and Central Texas community that cannot support two (as you put it) two super hubs. Maybe light rail to ABIA is the answer. Union Pacific goes north thru New Braunfels, San Marcos, Kyle, Buda into South Austin. There is an abandoned spur that goes to ABIA. It might be easier getting rail access.

Just my two cents

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep-SA-Lame View Post
I think you've confused bad leadership with the underlying market economics that drives demand for air travel. Austin is just a more attractive market for airlines because it's a lot wealthier, and has been forever. It's really that simple. If the City announced the 1,000 gate airport in New Braunfels of Brad Parscale's et al's dreams, we'd still be a a middle sized market with a high poverty rate, with an economy based on a tourism industry that largely caters to people within driving distance of the city. That's not the recipe for Texas' next super hub airport.
You were on the correct path until the bold section. No, San Antonio's economy is not based on tourism and in fact I think that is down to 5th or 6th largest sector in terms of economic impact.

Also, Austin is not a super hub of any kind and will lily never be either. Both Lover field and Hobby have more passenger traffic than Austin or San Antonio.

Boardings in 2018...

Atlanta 51 million passengers

Dallas 32 million

Houston Bush 21.7 million

Austin 7.9 million

San Antonio 5 million

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 1:50 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynetwo View Post
You were on the correct path until the bold section. No, San Antonio's economy is not based on tourism and in fact I think that is down to 5th or 6th largest sector in terms of economic impact.

Also, Austin is not a super hub of any kind and will lily never be either. Both Lover field and Hobby have more passenger traffic than Austin or San Antonio.

Boardings in 2018...

Atlanta 51 million passengers

Dallas 32 million

Houston Bush 21.7 million

Austin 7.9 million

San Antonio 5 million
Also, the location. Hub airports are generally centrally located in relation to other US cities. San Antonio (and even Austin) are in the southern part of one of the most southern states, so it's out of the way for airlines to use it as a transfer point for connecting flights. In that regard, the only option that makes sense is as a transfer point for flights from Mexico or Central America. Even then, Dallas and Houston are close enough and big enough to prevent that from really happening.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio