HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted May 11, 2008, 1:59 PM

Thumbs up [SA] All four venue tax proposals pass

All four proposals pass

Web Posted: 05/11/2008 01:31 AM CDT

Tracy Idell Hamilton
Express-News

By overwhelming margins, Bexar County voters on Saturday committed $415 million in tax revenue to river improvements, sports fields, the arts and a long-term investment in the AT&T Center.

Only a handful of Bexar County voters — about 7 percent — weighed in on the four-proposition ballot to extend what was rebranded “the visitor tax” to emphasize that tourists and business travelers to San Antonio would shoulder the burden.

With 100 percent of precincts reporting, the river proposal won almost 75 percent of the vote, with the amateur athletic fields close behind at nearly 72 percent. The performing arts proposal scored 65 percent, while the community arenas earned almost 57 percent.

The venue tax victory means the county can move forward with plans for a 13-mile linear park along the San Antonio River, begin to address the shortage of amateur and youth sports fields and plan the transformation of the underutilized Municipal Auditorium into a performing arts center.

Benefits to the AT&T Center won't come immediately — until 2012 under the county's timetable — while improvements to the Freeman Coliseum and rodeo grounds will begin soon.

“This is a positive sign for San Antonio,” said County Judge Nelson Wolff, who spearheaded the effort to extend the venue tax. “We believe in our future, we believe in our children, and we believe in making the investment in our quality of life.”

Read entire article

A more thorough description of the four propositions passed yesterday can be found in this article.

I don't know what y'all think, since there's been surprisingly little discussion of this on this forum (maybe because so many SA forumers, like myself, live somewhere else), but I think these are all good news for SA, especially the river improvements and the conversion of municipal auditorium in to a PAC. Step by step, SA is transforming into a different - and better - city

Old Posted May 11, 2008, 11:48 PM
Meh

So glad to hear they're planning to reuse the Municipal Auditorium. That thing is a gem. Keep it!

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted May 12, 2008, 12:53 AM
Bears of antiquity

Sweet!

Old Posted May 12, 2008, 2:04 AM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanshirt View Post
[b]
I don't know what y'all think, since there's been surprisingly little discussion of this on this forum (maybe because so many SA forumers, like myself, live somewhere else), but I think these are all good news for SA, especially the river improvements and the conversion of municipal auditorium in to a PAC. Step by step, SA is transforming into a different - and better - city

Exactly.

Old Posted May 13, 2008, 5:41 AM

This is terrific news for the city. These improvements should bolster San Antonio's image as a progressive, forward thinking city willing to improve its citizens' quality of life.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio