HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 12:54 AM

what will Winnipeg become?

just wondering what your opinions are on what winnipeg will become in the next 20-30 years from now. I hope we can regain #7 spot as Canada's largest city (which is possible) because Edmonton and Calgary have outpaced us too fast for 35 years now with their oil revenues. My vision would be for winnipeg to be the transportation hub of western canada with both air and rail services centred at the airport in one area of the city for efficiency which slowly looks like is happening. As for downtown hopefully we will have more people living downtown and a vibrant new portage ave restored to former glory. the aboriginal community will continue to grow, you have to embrace it and not run from it. Hopefully 20 years from now we will have rapid transit. Winnipeg should also embrace it's diverse work force by expanding into education:ie uofw, red river and uofm expansion downtown and medical techonologies at hsc and st.B and being a manufacturing hub for new style buses and planes in the future in an expanded role. May the venting begin, have fun folks!

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 2:02 AM
I am a typical

Dimmed indeed must be the sense of appreciation of him whose heart is not thrilled with the natural picturesque grandeur, the unrivalled location and strategic importance of the princely city on the shores of the Red River, the Frankfurt of the Canadian West.

Although Messeturm would be a very welcome addition to the skyline.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2008, 7:09 AM
Capitalist

I have a somewhat optimistic view of our city's future.

Currently Winnipeg is building its status as the rail and truck transport hub of western Canada. With the completion of the new airport terminal I expect to see significant increase in air traffic, which has by-passed the city due to the very limiting current terminal. I expect to see the construction of Win-Port (a large inland multi-model port, west of the airport), which will greatly increase the city's capacity to handle more container transports on the Mid-Continental Tade Corridor with the growing air cargo business and links to the sea.

The corridore will become futher enhanced with the growth of the Port of Churchill. The result of global warming has has allowed for longer artic shipping seasons and the direct access to the economically advantagous north west passage and will see larger amount of goods flowing from the US mid-west up to Churchill. In the next 20 years I project Winnipeg will see significant investments within the transportaion sector, which will benifit the overall city and provincial economy. The arrival of rapid transit will not be large in comparison to the growth in cargo transportation.

I am fairly confident that the next 20-30 years Winnipeg will reclaim its status as one of the 5 largest cities in the nation. I also expect Churchill to see significant growth in the coming decades, to handle the dramatic increase in shipping through the artic.

If Manitoba could adopt a more business friendly environment there is little doubt in my mind the future will be very bright.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2008, 4:35 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

If there are a few simple changes on the inside (in terms of the government both provincially and municipality), then Winnipeg will become "one great city" again.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2008, 8:15 PM

for winnipeg i predect that it will reach 800,000 to 1,000,000 status but i have a feeling that newflyer is right about churchill, if churchill becomes more accesable then it will flourish which will bring wealth to winnipeg. churchill's success will bring winnipeg's success which hopefully will make it canada's 2nd greatest city right behind saskatoon

Old Posted Apr 5, 2008, 9:37 PM
Still optimistic

Winnipeg WILL become the jewl of the prairies; a cosmopolitain, modern city with vibrant historic areas and a cultural scene for the world to envy...

A quality of life like no other city yet!

Ahhh...

Old Posted Apr 5, 2008, 10:21 PM

I'm fairly optimistic, and as far as a the city goes - and admittedly I have a slightly biased opinion - but without naming names, there are many Canadian cities that I have ventured too that, for a multitude of reasons, don't hold a candle to Winnipeg. And of course, there are others we can learn some things from.

Bureaucratically, we drag our feet to no end, but the cloud of mass depression that for a while hung over this city has lifted and left. I'm not saying its bright and sunny. I'm just saying its not stormy any more. We need proactive policy and a wide open business climate. As far as natural advantages, we have them coming out of our ying yangs. Most importantly of all, although not a cash cow like oil, our greatest advantages are renewable, making Winnipeg a city of the future. A massive investment (or subsidy) in biotechnology would be paramount. Biotech is only going to continue to balloon in the coming decades. Our service to nearby Minneapolis (and Milwaukee-Chicagoland) makes Winnipeg, geographically, very, very relevant.

We will continue to gripe, but things are on the up and up. For every reason to be upset, there is 2 or 3 to be positive about.

However, in the end of the day, it will be Winnipeggers who collectively will decide what Winnipeg becomes.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2008, 11:58 PM
Youth of a Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff1987 View Post
I'm fairly optimistic, and as far as a the city goes - and admittedly I have a slightly biased opinion - but without naming names, there are many Canadian cities that I have ventured too that, for a multitude of reasons, don't hold a candle to Winnipeg. And of course, there are others we can learn some things from.

Bureaucratically, we drag our feet to no end, but the cloud of mass depression that for a while hung over this city has lifted and left. I'm not saying its bright and sunny. I'm just saying its not stormy any more. We need proactive policy and a wide open business climate. As far as natural advantages, we have them coming out of our ying yangs. Most importantly of all, although not a cash cow like oil, our greatest advantages are renewable, making Winnipeg a city of the future. A massive investment (or subsidy) in biotechnology would be paramount. Biotech is only going to continue to balloon in the coming decades. Our service to nearby Minneapolis (and Milwaukee-Chicagoland) makes Winnipeg, geographically, very, very relevant.

We will continue to gripe, but things are on the up and up. For every reason to be upset, there is 2 or 3 to be positive about.

However, in the end of the day, it will be Winnipeggers who collectively will decide what Winnipeg becomes.
i find it funny how for many years that the headquarters of companies in recent years move out of winnipeg. with the consideration that winnipeg is smack dab in the middle, and it would be more beneficial for them to be there then way east, or way west. no matter what happens winnipeg will always have a slow and steady growth. with MTS Allstream putting in a bid to have its hand in the cellular business i am hoping that will bring more corp and office jobs back to winnipeg. its pretty sad as well when a company like canwest who started in winnipeg moves its hq to Calgary, and yet they purchase the old td centre that makes no sense. but thats pretty typical i guess for winnipeg. move ahead to the point of success and leave.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2008, 12:11 AM
Community Guy

Winnipeg needs some confidence and some local companies/people to get the ball rolling. But more importantly, you need to convince young people to stay and contribute rather than flocking to Edmonton, Calgary, and Torontos of the world.

It has so much potential, much of it already known, much of it ignored.

I actually hope i get into UofM for architecture so i can explore it so more and if it grows on me perhaps do a few things of my own there.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Apr 6, 2008, 1:17 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

... thats from the last hour.......

Old Posted Apr 6, 2008, 1:28 AM
I am a typical

Nice street.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2008, 1:41 AM
Winnipeg Metro: 762 800

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayM View Post
with MTS Allstream putting in a bid to have its hand in the cellular business i am hoping that will bring more corp and office jobs back to winnipeg.
Unlikely to happen as MTS Allstream HQ is based in Toronto.
http://www.allstream.com/contact/address.html#Toronto

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayM View Post
its pretty sad as well when a company like canwest who started in winnipeg moves its hq to Calgary, and yet they purchase the old td centre that makes no sense. but thats pretty typical i guess for winnipeg. move ahead to the point of success and leave.

When did Canwest move their HQ to Calgary?

Old Posted Apr 6, 2008, 1:48 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseJets View Post
Unlikely to happen as MTS Allstream HQ is based in Toronto.
http://www.allstream.com/contact/address.html#Toronto

When did Canwest move their HQ to Calgary?
they been flipfloping the hq been in winnipeg ottowa calgary vancouver toronto might be missing a couple...

alstream is based outa toronto witch is were mts moved the hq when it took over alstream is is trying to sell their office tower at portage and main or was my info on that is bit outa date...

Old Posted Apr 6, 2008, 2:04 AM
Winnipeg Metro: 762 800

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
alstream is based outa toronto witch is were mts moved the hq when it took over alstream is is trying to sell their office tower at portage and main or was my info on that is bit outa date...
I'm confused. Isnt Allstream just based in Toronto and MTS HQ is still based in Winnipeg? And they are selling the office tower to move into another part of downtown?

Quote:
they been flipfloping the hq been in winnipeg ottowa calgary vancouver toronto might be missing a couple... ...
I know that canwest has moved some departments from the HQ to other cities in canada but the coporate HQ is still based in Winnipeg.
http://www.canwest.com/about/fact_sheet.asp...

Old Posted Apr 6, 2008, 5:02 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Nice street.
Vid, someone was stabbed right about there about a week ago at 5:30 a.m. Not exactly a safe part of Winnipeg anymore. 5:30 is right around when the buses start operating (more eyes on the street), so it shouldn't that unsafe at that hour.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2008, 5:42 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseJets View Post
I'm confused. Isnt Allstream just based in Toronto and MTS HQ is still based in Winnipeg? And they are selling the office tower to move into another part of downtown?

I know that canwest has moved some departments from the HQ to other cities in canada but the coporate HQ is still based in Winnipeg.
http://www.canwest.com/about/fact_sheet.asp...
theres 2 canwesrs theres the canadian end and the international end the cad end is not in winnipeg the international end is.........

mts was moving around its offices due to trying to blalance books or somthing like that not totaly sure whats the story with them what i'm going based on is some articals from 2 years ago i think can't remember... one of the old threads has all the articals in it...

Old Posted Apr 6, 2008, 5:43 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj_wpg View Post
Vid, someone was stabbed right about there about a week ago at 5:30 a.m. Not exactly a safe part of Winnipeg anymore. 5:30 is right around when the buses start operating (more eyes on the street), so it shouldn't that unsafe at that hour.
yea but jimj alowing these incedents to blemish an area and to stop patranizing it leeds to dead areas that become even more unsafe

we need to get rid of the drug dealers for one though.......... the city should go after these dealers for not having a proper buines licence for one lol

Old Posted Apr 6, 2008, 6:16 PM
I am a typical

I meant the paving job, it looks worse than almost anything here.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2008, 10:26 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
yea but jimj alowing these incedents to blemish an area and to stop patranizing it leeds to dead areas that become even more unsafe

we need to get rid of the drug dealers for one though.......... the city should go after these dealers for not having a proper buines licence for one lol
On my recent trip to Singapore, I immediately noticed the benefits of having an extremely low crime rates, which Singapore enjoys. The downtown is busy day and night with people. Young women dressed up, walking around Clark Quay or Boat Quay with little sign of concern for there safety. People enjoying the urban lifestyle without crime.

There is no drug problems there, as the penality for dealing drugs is a death sentence. Its basic and fair in my view. Sadly the justice system in Canada is willing to risk the lives of society to protect the crime trade.

In Singapore most crimes are met with severe penalities (no probation for auto theft), the result is little to no crime in the whole city (over 4.5 million people). People know if you want o break the law you shouldn't consider Singapore.

One of the things that suprised me the most, is the limited police presence in the city. I didn't see a police vehilce until my third day. I guess they realize the cost benefit of such low crime rates.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2008, 10:58 PM
I am a typical

"There is no drug problems there, as the penality for dealing drugs is a death sentence. Its basic and fair in my view. Sadly the justice system in Canada is willing to risk the lives of society to protect the crime trade."

Yes, the number one priority of Canada's legal system is maintaining a steady flow of drugs to the population. It's our own fault for not killing pot heads when we had the chance!!

Yes, let's bring back the death penalty and make it the punishment for every crime! That way, we will live in a crime free utopia!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan