HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 4:39 PM

I am still intrigued, uh questioning, something like that, how they will institute the rapid routes on Portage, Main, St. Mary's, Nairn/Regent.

They would need to take away lanes for public vehicles. Which I'm not against. But we all know how the public would feel about that. St. Mary's imparticular. there's zero room for anything.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cslusarc View Post
Why will transit service be removed from Smith St/Donald St/McMillian Ave between Broadway and Osborne Junction?
The short buses are empty during the day. And they need full size buses during rush hour as the short bus is too small.

I live on Donald and wouldn't miss it.

Maybe if it went to Grant liked it used to it would be better.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryEllice View Post
In the initial plan the 66 was supposed to run there, but apparently people complained about having to walk from Confusion Corner to Osborne Station to transfer between the 66 and the Blue Line, so they decided to route the 66 through the transitway for connectivity and then divert it back onto Donald/Smith at Broadway.

Seems sub-optimal to me. As you point out, it leaves that section of Donald/Smith without service, and the weird diversion via Main Street is going to slow down the route, especially with those left turns at Broadway. I wish they would have stuck to their guns on the original routing.
No kidding. It's a 2 minute walk.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
That, and making Portage, Main and the other 'rt' routes that use the regular streets most of the day Bus Only lanes. See this so much on Portage Ave. just before or after the PM rush hour...cars on the curb lane. Like yesterday near the Foodfare (905 Portage Ave.) Three cars, all behind each other, parked. Make Bus Only lanes on Portage effective for the whole workday at least 7h30 till 18h30, while the Express routes will operate.
I would ban parking on those major routes.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 6:24 PM

Portage ave & Main st are already such abysmal pedestrian environments, if anything I'd like to see them keep the parking and add curb bump outs in some places so you can actually cross the street if you're not physically capable of speedwalking. Taking away the parked cars and having yet another lane of aggressive traffic barreling down a foot away from where you're walking is definitely not gonna help rejuvenate any storefronts on those streets. We already have so many streets where you can't walk down the sidewalk without being splashed or almost being clipped by truck mirrors....

Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardTH View Post
Portage ave & Main st are already such abysmal pedestrian environments, if anything I'd like to see them keep the parking and add curb bump outs in some places so you can actually cross the street if you're not physically capable of speedwalking. Taking away the parked cars and having yet another lane of aggressive traffic barreling down a foot away from where you're walking is definitely not gonna help rejuvenate any storefronts on those streets. We already have so many streets where you can't walk down the sidewalk without being splashed or almost being clipped by truck mirrors....
Agree entirely. Main and Portage have six other lanes that can accommodate dedicated bus traffic.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 11:24 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

OC Transpo Confederation Line

Six weeks in, the CBC asks people to give OC Transpo a grade on the new Confederation Line:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...view-1.5342630

People complaining about "transit integration". People complaing that the feeders don't operate as often or at the time they get off of work. People complaining of mechanical issues.

Thing is, it's just been a measly six weeks. Give the new system some time to iron out the bugs and ask again in five months.

My favourite positive comment:
Quote:
Complainers obviously haven't taken the London tube very much, or the Rome subway, or the Istanbul trams. I give Ottawa's new system an A grade! It works great whenever I've used it. And what a relief to get so many buses off Slater and Albert. Urban quality just jumped up nicely. I suspect that the whiners' gripe about "reliability" comes more from exaggerated self importance than actual impact.

Last edited by LilZebra; Nov 1, 2019 at 12:01 AM.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 2:59 PM

Wonder if this new plan would allow extending peak service windows a bit. For me if I'm leaving the house between 7:00-9:00 I don't even have to check the schedule, I never have to wait more than ~5 minutes for a bus. Soon as 9 hits, if I don't get that 9:01 bus, it jumps to 20. Many people work or go to school 10-6 etc, sucks that there's a sudden drop off right at 9. I find those 9:00-10:00 busses tend to be the most packed, and I got passed by a 9:25 bus yesterday.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardTH View Post
Portage ave & Main st are already such abysmal pedestrian environments, if anything I'd like to see them keep the parking and add curb bump outs in some places so you can actually cross the street
From Main to York they have already reduced Portage Ave from four lanes to three lanes with the cut outs and on street parking as you describe. It also significantly slowed down all on street traffic in the stretch including transit and cyclists.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 7:15 PM

They can only do the cut-outs where there are no bus stops. In theory there is nothing wrong with the cut-outs. With bike lanes and bus only lanes, Portage Avenue could be down to 2 lanes. I try to avoid rush hour so I don't care.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 1:54 AM

True North should be forced to pay police to stand at the bus stop in front of the arena before events to force vehicles to keep going. It doesn't seem too bad during Jets games but today was insane before the concert there were so many cars stopped dropping people off and the busses couldn't move. Sat through at least 3 light cycles before we could get by.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 2:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
True North should be forced to pay police to stand at the bus stop in front of the arena before events to force vehicles to keep going.
Half of them probably were cops.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 3:37 PM

Anybody been able to attend the recent workshops for the transit master plan? I was not able to attend. Will be making it out to one of the upcoming open houses.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I am still intrigued, uh questioning, something like that, how they will institute the rapid routes on Portage, Main, St. Mary's, Nairn/Regent.

They would need to take away lanes for public vehicles. Which I'm not against. But we all know how the public would feel about that. St. Mary's imparticular. there's zero room for anything.

The Transportation Master Plan (2011) says that St. Mary's Rd. between St. Anne's and Marion will (one day) be widened. So I guess they're gonna expropriate some land along the way, just like for widening of Kenaston. That could be years (decades) away.

* Transportation Master Plan (2011). City of Winnipeg. pp. 29, 75

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 6:25 PM

I have a hard time seeing how they'll do it without causing major disruption to the businesses in there. They'll also have to go further over the riverbank in that one spot.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 6:28 PM
BANNED

if this plan is contingent on them widening a bunch of roads then it needs to be completely thrown it.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 6:41 PM

Either widening roads or removing lanes from existing roads. Removing lanes for Portage and Main St would work. But not for St. Mary's. It's already one lane with a second lane for parking. And we already know about the parking situation in Winnipeg..

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 9:23 PM

If anything this thread shows how incredibly difficult it is to plan and implement rapid transit when there are so many competing stakeholder with their own visions and priorities. Of course any one of us could say "it's easy, just do it my way", but of course we know the world doesn't work like that...

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 9:31 PM

I'd think there will be tons of push back from residents on the spine and feeder network being proposed City wide, since it usually requires a transfer. At least one transfer, or walk further to make it only 1 transfer. Unless you live close to a rapid or frequent line.

With the proposed routes, I'd need 2 transfers to make it downtown. Or walk an extra 2-3 blocks to get to a frequent route that gets me downtown.

Right now I have a stop 1/3 of a block from my house and 0 transfers. So the proposed changes are not good for me. But if it improves the overall transit system, that's something I guess.

Specific to infrastructure to implement the system effectively, IMO Winnipeg doesn't have the money to do anything beyond small localized improvements..

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I'd think there will be tons of push back from residents on the spine and feeder network being proposed City wide, since it usually requires a transfer. At least one transfer, or walk further to make it only 1 transfer. Unless you live close to a rapid or frequent line.

With the proposed routes, I'd need 2 transfers to make it downtown. Or walk an extra 2-3 blocks to get to a frequent route that gets me downtown.

Right now I have a stop 1/3 of a block from my house and 0 transfers. So the proposed changes are not good for me. But if it improves the overall transit system, that's something I guess.

Specific to infrastructure to implement the system effectively, IMO Winnipeg doesn't have the money to do anything beyond small localized improvements..

If you're healthy, most people would walk the extra bit to the more frequent route, and on a snow day like this, yes. Eighty or ninety percent of people in the TMP survey said they would.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan