HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 21, 2009, 10:10 AM
I am a typical

I missed that.. There are just certain things that Americans do when they're making programmes that other countries don't typically do and you can tell.

And of course, the History Channel is an American network.

The book isn't as Ameri-centric. It's way better than the show.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2009, 11:47 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Hey, it looks like those new electronic schedules with updated wait times are up and running at the Stafford & Pembina stop.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2009, 12:15 AM
A long time gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
Hey, it looks like those new electronic schedules with updated wait times are up and running at the Stafford & Pembina stop.
it's been already several weeks... they also are at Pembina and University and Pembina at Plaza.

-------------
"The spider spins his web in the Palace of the Caesars,
An owl hoots in the towers of Afrasiyab."

Old Posted Apr 22, 2009, 4:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritedenergy View Post
it's been already several weeks... they also are at Pembina and University and Pembina at Plaza.
There were 2 at the University terminal, but now just one. I think there are a few kinks that need working out from my brief glances at the displays. The display at the U of M says the bus leaves in 1 minute while the bus is pulling away from the stop on schedule. I saw one display on Pembina that said my bus was due in 3 minutes whereas my GPS display showed me right on time. It'll be a good system once they get the kinks worked out I'm sure.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 8:28 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...-43866892.html

Councillor pushes trolley buses

Winnipeg could save money and reduce greenhouse gas emissions by embracing electric trolley buses, Transcona Coun. Russ Wyatt says.
Decades after streetcars disappeared from Winnipeg, Wyatt wants to explore the idea of replacing diesel-powered buses with trolleys connected to overhead hydro wires.
On Wednesday, Wyatt plans to present city council with a motion to ask Winnipeg Transit to study the feasibility of electric trolley buses, which are in use in Vancouver and Edmonton.
Manitoba's ample access to relatively cheap hydro-electric power should make the technology viable in Winnipeg, says the new co-chair of Mayor Sam Katz's environmental advisory committee.
"Instead of relying on non-renewable carbon fuels, we could use renewable, clean, Manitoba-made energy," Wyatt said on Tuesday.
"Every time the price of diesel goes up one cent, it costs Winnipeg another $150,000 a year. If fuel costs rise, and most experts say they will, we will be forced to find alternatives because the cost of diesel will be a real burden on the transit system."
The trolley buses envisioned by Wyatt do not run on tracks, as Winnipeg streetcars did until 1955. They are more like the electric buses that circulated through the city until the 1960s and were phased out for good by 1970.
Winnipeg specifically wants to see whether electric trolleys could work in downtown Winnipeg to connect the University of Winnipeg with the $327-million rapid-transit corridor that will eventually extend from Queen Elizabeth Way near The Forks to Chancellor Matheson Road at the University of Manitoba.
The city is already studying the feasibility of extending an ultra-lightweight rail line described by Mayor Sam Katz as an "automated people mover" through downtown Winnipeg as a means of connecting the city's two largest universities. In January, the city made a $600-million request for federal funding toward an integrated rapid-transit system.
Katz declined to comment on Wyatt's plan, other than to say whenever anyone mentions the city's old streetcars and trolley buses, he laments the fact they were dismantled.
Vancouver, however, is the only Canadian city where trolley buses remain viable right now. Edmonton plans to phase out its trolleys by 2010.
Wyatt's motion will automatically move to city council's public works committee, which oversees Winnipeg Transit.
It will up to that committee -- Charleswood Coun. Bill Clement, Mynarski Coun. Harry Lazarenko, St. Boniface Coun. Dan Vandal and Daniel McIntyre Coun. Harvey Smith -- to decide whether to move the proposal on to Winnipeg Transit.

bartley.kives@freepress.mb.ca

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 11:23 PM

If your going to do trolley buses on a busway, you may as well do trams. You can keep the tramway mixed traffic, just have to lay down the roadbed around the rails. Will cost a bit more for the vehicles (which end up paying for themselves in longer lifespans), but not much more for the power wires.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 11:34 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Trolley Buses are the most idiotic thing i've heard out of city hall in a long time.

They have the same problems traveling at-grade that a regular bus has (red lights, rush hour traffic), but with the same limitations of a rail system.

I.e.) The Bus can only go wherever the electric cable goes.

This is the worst of both worlds. I don't care how cheap Hydro is.

My parents often talk about how in the 60's / 70's during a big snow storm the old trolley buses would slide out from under the cable and the whole thing would stall.

Moreover, all of Portage Ave in those days was littered with a spiders web of cables crossing every which way overhead.

There's a reason why Edmonton is currently scrapping their trolley bus system.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 9:35 AM
I am a typical

Trolley buses only really make sense where there is a high traffic corridor (no need for buses to deviate much) and there are hills (electric motors have more torque). They make no sense for suburban routes though. And if you're going to go with a more expensive (to build) infrastructure you might as well go right up to something on rails.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 3:49 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Trolley Buses are the most idiotic thing i've heard out of city hall in a long time.

They have the same problems traveling at-grade that a regular bus has (red lights, rush hour traffic), but with the same limitations of a rail system.

I.e.) The Bus can only go wherever the electric cable goes.

This is the worst of both worlds. I don't care how cheap Hydro is.

My parents often talk about how in the 60's / 70's during a big snow storm the old trolley buses would slide out from under the cable and the whole thing would stall.

Moreover, all of Portage Ave in those days was littered with a spiders web of cables crossing every which way overhead.

There's a reason why Edmonton is currently scrapping their trolley bus system.
They should go with the wireless transit system instead... OH WAIT!!

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 4:33 AM

I thought the newer trolley buses can deviate for short distances from the overhead wires. (more energy storage capacity???)

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 4:47 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis View Post
I thought the newer trolley buses can deviate for short distances from the overhead wires. (more energy storage capacity???)
They can.

In Vancouver, those buses do it all the time. They switch to gasoline (or battery) for short distances whenever they have to transfer to a different line/route or go to back to the garage.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted May 1, 2009, 5:12 AM

Cold weather tends to mess with the contacts on trolley buses. It's not a problem in Vancouver, but it often led to delays on Edmonton's system.

Also, you really don't know what kind of view you have above your head until it's gone... this idea has noble intentions, I'll give it that, but it's not well-suited for Winnipeg. Go for the LRT instead (seriously, imagine not having to drive to a Bomber's game!).

Old Posted May 4, 2009, 4:03 AM

Trolley work well for Vancouver due to limited snow and the steep grades but when it does snow the things can completly break down. Its not a viable option for WinnipegRT. I still a lowly elevated monorail {NOT SkyTrain} would be ideal for Winnipeg because they are not effected by cold/snow and due to elevation they can continue to function during Winnipeg's frequent floods.

Old Posted May 4, 2009, 5:31 AM
Celebrating 50 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
Trolley work well for Vancouver due to limited snow and the steep grades but when it does snow the things can completly break down. Its not a viable option for WinnipegRT. I still a lowly elevated monorail {NOT SkyTrain} would be ideal for Winnipeg because they are not effected by cold/snow and due to elevation they can continue to function during Winnipeg's frequent floods.
yes its very difficult. Though I think we should just go with a series of gondolas, and keep the city flooded year round. All these frequent floods really make life difficult.

Old Posted May 4, 2009, 5:47 PM

Transitway Construction

The first tender for construction of the actual transitway (or busway) has been posted on the City bid page. Over 60 detailed drawings to go through. This is for the portion from near Main Street to Confusion Corner.

Old Posted May 4, 2009, 9:11 PM

I don't know if you're just naive or are not aware, but a "transitway" is another word for an Ottawa-style busway.

I've tried my best to the best of my time and ability over the past 30 years to get the people of Winnipeg onto the LRT/subway bandwagon. Your average Winnipeggers wants rail. It's the damned stooopid politicians who the elite have their bidding done for them that have been the problem all these years.

It's soooo damn frustrating. I sure hope Katz can, if he's genuinely sincere, transform this project into an LRT/subway project, but the more they get into it the less hopeful I am.

Metonymy, are you the 'Average City' blogger?

Old Posted May 4, 2009, 9:28 PM

Yeah, I know that transitway is synonymous with busway, but that is the terminology the City is now using. And a bus rapid transit is what is getting built, whether we agree and like it or not.

And yeah, that is my blog.

Old Posted May 4, 2009, 11:02 PM

So if the "transitway" is what is being built why has Katz been spewing rhetoric about something "more" on the way?

These last couple of months I've been anticipating opening the link to this thread waiting for the posting saying that Winnipeg smartened up and did something right something done well for a change. Unfortunately these lastest plans look more and more like the best Winnipeg can hope for is the boring express bus line.

Please Please someone dig around and find some good news, tell me the feds want to win votes in quebec so they are signing billion dallar deals with Bombardier to build LRTs within cities in Western Canada in a massive infrustructure project to reunite this country. (Through the one project not inter city LRT, that's a different dream).

Old Posted May 5, 2009, 1:43 AM

See, if I was part of the Illuminati 'elite', and still had my belief in a subway for Winnipeg, then it would happen that much easier.

But because I refuse to make TRUWinnipeg a registered company and by doing so refuse to let it be co-opted by some enviro or some Illuminists or what ever... this might be why an LRT or a subway has been not on the plans.

The only hope is to pray for truly good government and leadership and that God would bring in the right people to make a rail-based transit system viable, safe, usable, and such to Winnipeg. Maybe we Winnipeggers just haven't been praying enough. Sometimes it seems kind of corny to be praying for rapid transit...I mean people pray to God and Jesus for a whole bunch of other things... Why not for rapid transit?

I don't think it's too late to do so either.

Here, I'll help get you guys started:

Lord Jesus, we come before you as Winnipeggers who are working together for a better city for us all, and for people to be able to move around Winnipeg as easily and fast as can be. There have been several plans over the past 50 years for rapid transit for Winnipeg, and our city has grown and needs a better means of transport. Bless our government leaders and planners minds and hearts, to develop a rapid transit system that will help Winnipeg to grow. And make that rapid transit system safe for us to use, so that people will want to ride it.

Amen.

Old Posted May 5, 2009, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj_wpg View Post
See, if I was part of the Illuminati 'elite', and still had my belief in a subway for Winnipeg, then it would happen that much easier.

But because I refuse to make TRUWinnipeg a registered company and by doing so refuse to let it be co-opted by some enviro or some Illuminists or what ever... this might be why an LRT or a subway has been not on the plans.

The only hope is to pray for truly good government and leadership and that God would bring in the right people to make a rail-based transit system viable, safe, usable, and such to Winnipeg. Maybe we Winnipeggers just haven't been praying enough. Sometimes it seems kind of corny to be praying for rapid transit...I mean people pray to God and Jesus for a whole bunch of other things... Why not for rapid transit?

I don't think it's too late to do so either.

Here, I'll help get you guys started:

Lord Jesus, we come before you as Winnipeggers who are working together for a better city for us all, and for people to be able to move around Winnipeg as easily and fast as can be. There have been several plans over the past 50 years for rapid transit for Winnipeg, and our city has grown and needs a better means of transport. Bless our government leaders and planners minds and hearts, to develop a rapid transit system that will help Winnipeg to grow. And make that rapid transit system safe for us to use, so that people will want to ride it.

Amen.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan