HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 14, 2007, 12:40 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberguy View Post
It's more like 64 thousand.
It looks like they took an interior pic of the Arizona Cardinals stadium and inlaid the pic with blue and yellow seats, a blue bombers fierld and a huge scoreboard.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2007, 2:36 AM
GQMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileyBoy View Post
It looks like they took an interior pic of the Arizona Cardinals stadium and inlaid the pic with blue and yellow seats, a blue bombers fierld and a huge scoreboard.
Yep, TV mentioned that it was photoshopped.
Here's the original.
http://www.visitphoenix.com/assets/w...nal_sta_hi.jpg

Old Posted Apr 14, 2007, 2:26 PM

ah man, i knew it was too good to be true, and what do you mean, winnipeg has tons to be proud of, you had the first skyscraper in NA, were the chicago of the north, have a great sports community, new baseball, hockey and football stadiums.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2007, 3:10 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappyPeg View Post
I kinda like the idea that someone from another province/city has come into this site to congratulate Winnipeg on something. Of course, we are always quick to dispell any possibility that there is something to be proud of in this city.
I agree .. Winnipegers are very critical of there city. I think.. or at least hope.. its because we want it to be as good as possible and are not satisfied with the status quo.

Winnipeg does have alot of great attributes and I also wish there was a little more optimism about our city.

As far as the stadium proposals go .. I think they both have positives and minuses, but I would be happy with either.
When do we hear about the third proposal?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2007, 7:30 PM

Knowing that this is done with photoshop, if you look at the bottom, you can see two people standing indentical in reverse.

It's amazing what Photoshop or other software can do. This was done pretty will.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2007, 7:45 PM
surely you agree with me

^thanks...it had to be widened for the bigger field so i mirrored it down the middle....good eye.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2007, 5:43 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
^thanks...it had to be widened for the bigger field so i mirrored it down the middle....good eye.
Well come on TV ... get out that eraser and eliminate the extra pair.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2007, 7:31 AM
visionary

I would like to see glass above the upperdeck much like the new Ford dome in detroit.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2007, 5:03 PM
GQMF

Yeah, adding windows/glass would be great.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2007, 5:54 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberguy View Post
Yeah, adding windows/glass would be great.

Very nice!!! ... add some natural light makes it a better setting I think.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2007, 6:00 AM
surely you agree with me

that is nice....it is kind of the idea i was thinking about for the exterior image...if you notice, there is a band of vertical glass around the top, below the roof and a large expanse of glass at the end. i made it yellow to differentiate it. this would be quite similar to ford field

it makes sense, because it is way cheaper than a retractable roof, but you can make it feel more outdoors...i was thinking that the windows could be openable so you could also get natural ventilation...like a retractable wall instead of a retractable roof...

Old Posted Apr 16, 2007, 6:03 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
that is nice....it is kind of the idea i was thinking about for the exterior image...if you notice, there is a band of vertical glass around the top, below the roof and a large expanse of glass at the end. i made it yellow to differentiate it. this would be quite similar to ford field

it makes sense, because it is way cheaper than a retractable roof, but you can make it feel more outdoors...i was thinking about makeing the windows openable so you could also get natural ventilation...like a retractable wall instead of a retractable roof...

glass wall like the baseball stadium in houston has?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 2:14 PM
the first stamp is free

Doer lines up behind Polo Park site

Wed Apr 25 2007

By Mia Rabson

KEN GIGLIOTTI / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS
Gary Doer (at podium) is joined by candidates (from left) Andrew Swan, Eric Robinson and Kerri Irvin-Ross as he announces NDP support for stadium Tuesday.
THE Winnipeg Blue Bombers will get provincial cash to help build a new stadium, Premier Gary Doer pledged on the campaign trail Tuesday.

And if Doer gets his way, the new facility will go up at the same site as the aging stadium at Polo Park.

After months of hedging on the issue of a new stadium, Doer told a crowd of 220 people at a Manitoba Chambers of Commerce breakfast he feels the existing stadium is outdated with bathrooms that are "crap" and seats "built for Lilliputians."

Later in the morning he used the MTS Centre as a backdrop for an official campaign announcement on the stadium.

"We want facilities that are not 60 years old," said Doer. "We want modern facilities for our modern community."

Doer also committed $60 million Tuesday to modernizing and building new recreation centres and sports facilities for amateur sports across Manitoba.

He said he can't commit to helping build a new stadium for professional sports and ignore the needs of communities, where kids don't have enough arenas or soccer fields to play soccer on.

"If kids want to play, we've got a community responsibility, when they want to participate, to build those facilities," said Doer.

Doer had never ruled out provincial money for a new stadium but it was never on his list of priorities for provincial capital. He had also never said which stadium proposal he prefers until yesterday.

"I personally like the Polo Park site initially because of the opportunities for private investment adjacent to the shopping mall," said Doer.

That proposal was put forward by CanWest Global executive David Asper. The other option on the table, for a St. Boniface stadium from Canad Inns president Leo Ledohowski, is a no-go for provincial cash as far as Doer is concerned because it includes a new convention centre, which would compete with the Winnipeg Convention Centre downtown.

"I won't be in favour of anything that will affect the Convention Centre (in downtown Winnipeg)," Doer told the Free Press.

The Blue Bombers' board of directors is considering both proposals now and will then move forward on any requests for public money.

Both of the proposals call for $80 million in public funding -- divided equally between Ottawa and Manitoba. Thus far, Ottawa has expressed no interest in funding a new stadium in Winnipeg, and Doer said yesterday federal funding would be helpful but isn't totally necessary.
But he also indicated even a $40 million contribution from Manitoba is too rich for taxpayers.

He said the stadium funding from the province will be doled out with the same type of public-private partnership as the MTS Centre.

The $133.5 million MTS Centre was funded 70 per cent by the private sector. Together, the three levels of government contributed $40 million, of which the province's contribution was just over $13 million.

-- with files from Bartley Kives

mia.rabson@freepress.mb.ca

Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 2:31 PM

Well, I don't know who I'm voting for, but I now know who will NOT getting my vote! Fuck Doer! If he is backing Asper's plan, then fuck him. The current site of the stadium is terrible. It was fine many years ago when it was there with the velodrome (sp?) and PP. But now that it has turned into shopping hell, the stadium should go.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the Packer's site is perfect, but it is the better of the 2 (IMO).

Also, on the surface, Ledohowski's deal does appear to be much better, in terms of ownership, etc.

Sorry, just venting.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 2:49 PM
the first stamp is free

^ Doer is expressing concerns (that I also raised here before) regarding potential convention business being siphoned away from Downtown with a covered stadium at the Packer's site. I think that is a very legitimate concern that we should all have regarding the propsal in St.B.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
^ Doer is expressing concerns (that I also raised here before) regarding potential convention business being siphoned away from Downtown with a covered stadium at the Packer's site. I think that is a very legitimate concern that we should all have regarding the propsal in St.B.
I understand. Neither proposal is perfect. But which one is the lesser of the 2 evils? I think the PP location is just terrible, and make that my #1 priority when it comes to deciding on one of them. Remember, it's just MY opinion.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 11:29 PM

Put it downtown!

Unless it is downtown or close by just keep it in Polo Park. If I still lived in the Peg I would rarely (if ever) go to a game if it was out by the Downs or on the Canada Packers site...
Winnipeg is not big enough to have two competing Convention Centre's, In fact no Canadian City really is. MTS Centre can act as a Trade Show place as well...
The Bombers have yet to say how they would pay for their proposal. At least Asper has a plan...

Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 11:52 PM
BANNED

Doer is f*cken SOB...if he cared about business downtown, he would find the money to expand the convention centre which would bring large conventions to the city...

Old Posted Apr 26, 2007, 1:22 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Yeah thats fair. Winnipeg is not big enough to support two large convention centres. Although an expanded convention centre downtown sounds really good.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2007, 1:29 AM
visionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Diva View Post
Doer is f*cken SOB...if he cared about business downtown, he would find the money to expand the convention centre which would bring large conventions to the city...

Exactly, lets add another component in revitalizing downtown. Its central, your infrastructure is already, and most transit routes lead in and out of downtown. It all adds up to making too much sense.

if the city and convention centre would have any foresight, they would rezone the land and take away a street or two, tear down the convention rebuild it ( as it seems to be outdated already) as part of the stadium or build the stadium as an addition. The convention centre needs that extra space to hold bigger convention and exhibtions to hold heavy machinery shows.

Perhaps the delta hotels by the convention centre will realize there hotels need major updating so they would decide to build brand new by the new convention centre. Have Canad'Inns buld there water park there too.

I see nothing wrong with adding 30 000 another people downtown 10 times a year. I would sure help the restaurant and retail out bigtime.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan