HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 13, 2009, 6:51 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

9/11 for one put a dent in the market then the discount ones were fighting it out and some of them being sister companies

there wa alot of varibles t play but the spike was the final push for alot of them

Old Posted May 13, 2009, 12:45 PM

I'm in the Aerospace industry, our customers are typically either in bankruptcy protection or at war! great business to be in!

Old Posted May 16, 2009, 12:59 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
^ Why were they going broke?
I will agree that the high cost of fuel put alot of pressue on the airline companies of the world. It really seperated the creme of the crop. The old out of date business models have been weeded out... as we see the most efficient airlines eating the lunch of the old dinosaurs. As time goes on the least innovative, least customer focused, and least flexible companies will steadily loose there grips the once dominated markets.

Its really a thing of beauty to watch the new breed of airline dispose of slower inefficient union crippled remnants of the 1950's. Yes we see airlines like Air Canada continue to retract, while we have also seen airlines like West Jet and Air Alaska, Jet Blue expand. Sure the high prices of oil have put the kybosh on some airlines, while it has also opened up a world of opportunity for those companies who know how to manage there resources.

Overall the demand for flight travel will continue to grow, even while the companies filling that demand may change.

Old Posted May 16, 2009, 11:39 AM

too bad the gov doesnt realize the beauty in this proccess(this could apply to any other market as well but im thinking about the auto industry). let the market take its course instead of sticking their fingers in it.

Old Posted May 25, 2009, 3:26 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

New Terminal To Bring Changes
CJOB's Lorne Edwards reporting
5/24/2009

We'll all be adapting to a different way of doing things when the new terminal opens at the Winnipeg James Armstrong Richardson International Airport. Winnipeg Airports Authority President and CEO Barry Remple tells CJOB, the changes will reflect the fact 90 percent of people coming to airports will already have checked in using their blackberry, or home or office computer:
You'll also be putting your baggage on the belt yourself. The terminal is expected to open next year.

Old Posted May 25, 2009, 4:07 AM

Maybe I'm wrong - but owning a Blackberry is becoming as much of a Canadian social institution as holding a Timmy's double-double. It's not there yet, but much like we now spell coffee, t-i-m-m-y-s, people are starting to spell cellular, b-l-a-c-k-b-e-r-r-y.

Maybe this statement is premature. Although, certainly completely unrelated to the new air terminal.

More on topic, the air terminal will be sexy, but the route out of it (Route 90) is a borderline catastrophe. Perhaps the City will make good on their musings about an 'image route'. I'm a strong believer in the adage that 'you look good, you feel good'.

Old Posted May 25, 2009, 12:43 PM

i don't have a blackberry (or iphone) although i do check-in online at home or hotel.

My 2 1/2 son gets excited when I say I'm stopping for a coffee, he starts saying saying, "Tim Daddy, Tim Daddy" while bouncing up and down! Got to get them hooked early

Old Posted May 25, 2009, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
Maybe I'm wrong - but owning a Blackberry is becoming as much of a Canadian social institution as holding a Timmy's double-double. It's not there yet, but much like we now spell coffee, t-i-m-m-y-s, people are starting to spell cellular, b-l-a-c-k-b-e-r-r-y.

Maybe this statement is premature. Although, certainly completely unrelated to the new air terminal.

More on topic, the air terminal will be sexy, but the route out of it (Route 90) is a borderline catastrophe. Perhaps the City will make good on their musings about an 'image route'. I'm a strong believer in the adage that 'you look good, you feel good'.

The section through St James (Silver to Ness) looks absolutely terrible. What they should do is replace the chain fence they have put up with a concrete barrier to block the view of the run-down back-lanes and garages in the area. Of course, this being Winnipeg, we know that the wall would be full of graffiti within no time.

Old Posted May 25, 2009, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake10 View Post
The section through St James (Silver to Ness) looks absolutely terrible. What they should do is replace the chain fence they have put up with a concrete barrier to block the view of the run-down back-lanes and garages in the area. Of course, this being Winnipeg, we know that the wall would be full of graffiti within no time.
couldn't agree more, i drive that route everyday and good god that is ugly. if they allowed electronic billboards advertising along the route the revenue would pay for the wall itself.

Old Posted May 25, 2009, 5:05 PM

^^ Totally agree Route 90 looks horrible and even Wellington could use a serious image improvement. They patched a few sections, which really didn't do anything.
I don't know if this is in any long term plans, but a nicely landscaped route to/from the airport is a pretty important first impression for travelers.

Photo Gallery: kengillespie.com
My Photo Blog

Old Posted May 25, 2009, 5:44 PM
Heart of the Continent

The area around the airport is industrial. You aren't going to get much landscaping in such an area. Replacing the fence in the residential is a good idea though.

Old Posted May 25, 2009, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
The area around the airport is industrial. You aren't going to get much landscaping in such an area. Replacing the fence in the residential is a good idea though.

Of course I don't expect Biristol Aerospace and Standard Aero properties to become some kind of greenspace. But just a reasonable upgrade along the major routes. The airport will be fantastic once completed, travelers or Winnipegger's shouldn't be driving by tons of garbage caught in the chain link fencing of route 90, and a few trees here and there wouldn't hurt.

Photo Gallery: kengillespie.com
My Photo Blog

Old Posted May 25, 2009, 8:30 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

I agree.

Reasonable improvements can do justice for visitors who want first impressions about our city. Since we don't have freeways like other major cities, in which some of those freeways lead directly to the airport, and "hide" some of the surroundings around them, the road to and from the airport goes straight onto the city streets, right in the middle of industrial and commercial outlets.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted May 25, 2009, 9:12 PM
surely you agree with me

man, whats the deal with all the silver corrugated metal on a half billion dollar building....it looks pretty brutal, i have to say....all over the front side too..what a shame.

Old Posted May 25, 2009, 9:15 PM
Heart of the Continent

I love the way the building looks. It's very clean and modern. I think the finished project will look great.

Old Posted May 26, 2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keng View Post
Of course I don't expect Biristol Aerospace and Standard Aero properties to become some kind of greenspace. But just a reasonable upgrade along the major routes. The airport will be fantastic once completed, travelers or Winnipegger's shouldn't be driving by tons of garbage caught in the chain link fencing of route 90, and a few trees here and there wouldn't hurt.
StandaaardAero new building (and expansion) on Flight & Wellington, there's a component where they had to plant some trees and grass. Yeah the building on Sargent are gross but they are almost right up to the sidewalk.

Old Posted May 26, 2009, 3:40 PM

i flew for the first time in my life this weekend(i build planes for a living and never used one? weird) so i got to compare our airport to edmontons. now i realize the need for a new one.

the new terminal is looking sexier and sexier all the time. really exciting to see details like windows coming together!

Old Posted May 26, 2009, 3:42 PM
Heart of the Continent

Well, I'll be flying for the first time ever in about 3 months....so I guess I'll see why we need a new terminal then...lol.

Old Posted May 26, 2009, 7:26 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

wha you never flew before :O i've been flying since i was a todler and flying solo since i was 5

the terminal is starting to look sad these days like they stoped careing for it real sad

Old Posted May 26, 2009, 9:40 PM
GQMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
wha you never flew before :O i've been flying since i was a todler and flying solo since i was 5

the terminal is starting to look sad these days like they stoped careing for it real sad
You flew alone when you were 5?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan