HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 12:46 AM

So there’s a chance?

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 1:09 AM

Despite the parks shortcoming the interpretive centre would really complete the park

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 1:28 AM

True, it would get rid of that triangle of parking and of course add to the experience. I’m optimistic it will happen at some point.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
True, it would get rid of that triangle of parking and of course add to the experience. I’m optimistic it will happen at some point.
It drives me a bit crazy that the main design consideration is so obviously the view from the Manitoba Club.

I'd love, both for the neighbourhood *and* as a fuck-you to the Manitoba Club, for them to build a ground floor interpretative centre with a giant residential tower above. There are some examples of museums with residential above -- the tower being built above MOMA in NY, or the plans to build residential above/around the Princess of Wales theatre in Toronto.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
All I can say is check out the website, which I conveniently place below for you. They are actively marketing the park for events and are also having fundraising events.

http://www.upperfortgarry.com/
The problem is the actual space for events itself is tiny – so they won't be able to book nearly as many events or charge nearly what they want to in order to raise the funds. There's room for one small tent at best.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2018, 6:08 PM

I would just like to point out that we are now over three years removed from the initial 2-year surface lot approval.

At what point does the city pull the plug on it? If they do – what happens to the land? Has anyone seen any signs that FUFG (or Manitoba Club) has made even the slightest effort to fundraise or continue on the path to building the interpretive centre?

Old Posted Nov 17, 2018, 7:04 PM

^ I think we all know the answer to your last question.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2018, 8:09 PM

They have until 2019 to operate the parking lot, then who knows.

Quote:
Property committee agreed to allow the parking lot to remain until 2019 to allow the Friends raise this money — under the condition they improve the esthetics of the parking lot to the satisfaction of city officials.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...-lot-1.4296607

Old Posted Nov 17, 2018, 8:47 PM
There is always a way

Why doesn't the fufg develop the lot itself incorporating the interpretative center in the podium of some tower?
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Nov 18, 2018, 5:57 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Well, they have until 2019 to secure some sort of funding.

Otherwise, a residential tower should be built so it can make full use of the otherwise wasted opportunity of nothing but.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 2:46 PM
What could go wrong?

Here is what I propose for the site of the interpretive centre. Its a triangle building, uses a lot of Corten Steel just like in the park and is one of my favorite buildings.

The Woodward Building in Vancouver

Source: Flickr | Photographer: Yume-sama
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 2:49 PM

^ You couldn't have picked a better model. With plenty of room to carve out some space on the main floor to interpret the absolute living hell out of Upper Fort Garry. Win win. Love it.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ You couldn't have picked a better model. With plenty of room to carve out some space on the main floor to interpret the absolute living hell out of Upper Fort Garry. Win win. Love it.
The only thing that could make this better is a safe-injection site that is directly visible from the windows of the Manitoba Club.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 8:11 PM

Upper Ft Garry Interpretive centre lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Here is what I propose for the site of the interpretive centre. Its a triangle building, uses a lot of Corten Steel just like in the park and is one of my favorite buildings.

The Woodward Building in Vancouver

Source: Flickr | Photographer: Yume-sama
I am all for it as well. A residential tower would be great for a dead zone.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2019, 2:56 PM

We might actually see the completion of the interpretive centre at the park with this funding announcement:

Quote:
Ottawa to spend $5M on Métis centre
By: Tessa Vanderhart Posted: 07/12/2019 4:00 AM

WINNIPEG will soon be home to the Métis National Heritage Centre, though its address has yet to be determined.

This morning, Crown-Indigenous Relations Minister Carolyn Bennett will be in the city to announce more than $5 million in federal funding for the project.

Manitoba Metis Federation president David Chartrand pegged the total cost at $6 million, with its doors to open in 2020.

"Our people are excited," Chartrand said Thursday night. "It’s something that’s been long waited for, and should have happened a long, long time ago, given the significant role we played in the development of this province and Western Canada."

Chartrand said it won’t be a museum about Métis leader Louis Riel, but rather people — families, the message of the Métis, and women — and misunderstood events such as the 1816 Battle of Seven Oaks.

"That’s where the (Métis) Nation was truly born," he said. "It’s going to be a compelling story for the world to see."

"The Métis National Heritage Centre represents Canada’s deep commitment to work in partnership with the Métis Nation to advance reconciliation," Bennett said in an emailed statement. "Today is an incredibly important day."

A location for the museum has not yet been chosen, though Chartrand said he hopes it will be at Upper Fort Garry — the downtown Winnipeg site of the Legislative Assembly of Assiniboia, formed by Riel in 1870, and where the Manitoba Act was signed to join Confederation.

Chartrand said plans have been drawn up that would allow the centre to fit with existing structures on the site.

"I’d love to build my museum there," he said, noting it is a provincial park and the federation’s relationship with the province is currently strained. The federation is suing the province because it quashed a deal with Manitoba Hydro.

Chartrand said, however, he hopes the province will contribute money to the project.

"Nothing’s going to stop me from building this... there’s not a question about it. The question is where," he said. "With the province, or without."

He said downtown Bonnycastle Park is also under consideration. In 1994, the museum was intended to go at The Forks.

"I think it’s a fantastic idea, long overdue, should have been there 100 years ago," said Jean Teillet, an Indigenous lawyer and Riel’s great-grandniece.

She said there are thousands of artifacts and important documents in various museums. She looks forward to the pieces being put together.

"There’s more than enough there to fill 10 museums of Métis stuff," she said.

When the RCMP pledged in 2017 to return Riel artifacts, including a crucifix and hunting knife, the federation asked for them to be transferred to the proposed Métis National Heritage Centre. Since then, several other facilities, including the St. Boniface Museum and Manitoba Museum, have received Riel artifacts.

"It’s been a long, long process of trying to have these artifacts returned to Métis people. It’s a great day," said Jesse Donovan, a Métis from Saskatchewan who launched a petition to have the artifacts returned.

"I think the most important part is the heritage centre will have a museum that is operated and run by Métis people, so we can tell the story of these items in a way that reflects our values and reflects how we want to tell our story," he said.

The project will be announced at 9 a.m. at Métis federation headquarters on Henry Avenue.

tvanderhart@freepress.mb.ca

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Jul 12, 2019, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
Chartrand said, however, he hopes the province will contribute money to the project.
Ha

I'd actually love to see this get built so we can at least get some bright red lipstick on that pig of a "provincial park" we got stuck with on Main Street. But getting money from the province will be tough, given that Pallister and Chartrand get along as well as your typical alley cat and junkyard dog do.

Fortunately it's only an extra million bucks (let's get real, knowing the way these things go it's more likely an extra three or four million bucks) so they should be able to get some donations and get it built before too long... hopefully.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2019, 3:04 PM

I hope a developer donates the extra $1m on the condition a tower goes above the museum and interpretive centre. Think this is a good project, but would love to see more use out of this site.

As a side note, no wonder Chartrand gets so much pushback – he doesn't talk about Metis people and nation etc, he just talks about himself: "me" "my museum" "nothing's going to stop me" .... yikes.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2019, 3:08 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I hope a developer donates the extra $1m on the condition a tower goes above the museum and interpretive centre. Think this is a good project, but would love to see more use out of this site.
As a side note, no wonder Chartrand gets so much pushback – he doesn't talk about Metis people and nation etc, he just talks about himself: "me" "my museum" "nothing's going to stop me" .... yikes.
One thing that I'd like to see that isn't pictured in the rendering would be a bit more street engagement on Fort. The design is basically a bunker wall and that is not ok.

Totally agree on the idea to bring a developer in. Doubt they'd want to though which is a shame because a good residential development would help cover operating costs for the interpretive centre/ museum

Edit: a good little café would do well there too if there were a residential tower on top.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Jul 12, 2019, 3:08 PM

Quote:
He has been running the MMF for so long that I suspect any separation between himself and the organization disappeared a long time ago, in his mind at least. That's the conclusion I draw from the way he expresses himself.

A museum could have been the perfect main floor occupant of a residential tower...

Old Posted Jul 12, 2019, 3:35 PM

Quote:

Well, I guess Upper Fort Garry is no stranger to Metis leaders with a god complex.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan