HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

One Bromfield in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Boston Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jan 13, 2016, 4:44 AM

BOSTON | One Broomfield | ~700 FT | 59 FLOORS

This will replace an earlier proposal by Midwood Development for 28 story tower across from the new Millennium Tower in Boston. It is expected to reach around 700 ft.

Another condo tower could spring up in downtown area

Quote:
Suddenly, Downtown Crossing is becoming high-rise central.

A New York-based developer is preparing to file plans with the city for a tall condominium and apartment tower at the corner of Washington and Bromfield streets, the same intersection where the 60-story Millennium Tower is now under construction.

Representatives of Midwood Investment and Development, which has owned several buildings on the busy corner since the mid-2000s, declined to comment. But people familiar with the project said it aims to go public early next year with plans for a “very tall” residential building on the site, which today is street-level retail with older office space above.

Specifics such as exact height, unit cost, budget, and community benefits are being hashed out. Any large building there would be subject to approval by the Boston Redevelopment Authority. BRA staff said Midwood had briefed them on the project but that no precise details had been finalized. The project was first reported Sunday by Banker & Tradesman.

Midwood initially proposed a 28-story condo tower there in 2008 before shelving the plans during the recession. The new proposal comes as Millennium Tower has sold 90 percent of its roughly 450 units, demonstrating a market for high-end residences in the heart of Downtown Crossing.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2016, 3:31 PM

New information and an initial filing for the project change has been released by the developer Midwood Investment.

59-Story Downtown Crossing Residential Tower Plans Revealed
Quote:
A New York City developer has unveiled plans for a 59-story, 607,000-square-foot skyscraper in Boston’s Downtown Crossing that would contain 473 condominiums and apartments.
Midwood Investment & Development has been briefing neighborhood and business organizations on the project as it prepares to submit a formal filing with the Boston Redevelopment Authority (BRA) within two weeks.
Architectural renderings show a broad first-floor retail podium narrowing to a slender residential tower, according to Sam Tyler, president of the Boston Municipal Research Bureau, who attended one of the presentations. The tower would include 300 market-rate apartments, 119 condos and 54 affordable units on-site, Tyler said. The project would also include 234 parking spaces.
No renderings have been publicly released; however, I am expecting that some will be released soon. It sounds like this tower is likely to reach between 660 and 700 feet.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2016, 7:36 PM
DENNAB

Nice!

Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 5:49 PM

New Downtown Crossing skyscraper to rival Millennium Tower

Quote:
Another huge tower could be coming to Downtown Crossing.

New York-based developer Midwood has released more details of its plans to build a 683-foot tower on the corner of Washington and Bromfield streets, a sort of twin to the Millennium Tower across the street.

Subscribe Now
Images filed with the Boston Civic Design Commission show a rounded, twisting tower atop a five-story podium.
From some angles the images depict the 59-story Midwood tower to be slightly higher than the Millennium, which would make it the tallest building in downtown Boston.

The tower is being designed by Chicago architects Adrian Smith and Gordon Gill.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 8:03 PM

Some more renders from the submission to the BRA. Thank you to stick n move from ArchBoston for extracting these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick n move View Post
Ripped from the BRA.

I have no idea if I like this or not. I like the height and the ground level looks very good. The cladding looks a bit aged and I don't like the cantilevers but we all know this will be redesigned a few times before it is ever built so lets see where they go from here. I would rather see them stick with a thin tower like they are doing in NYC than try to add these bulges to it.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 9:52 PM
DENNAB

I love it!

Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 10:07 PM

WOW! This is gorgeous! This is how you do cantilevered skyscrapers the right way.

Lets do this Boston!

Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 10:24 PM
New Yorker for life

I love it also. If only they could release that many renders for the Central Park Tower.

http://www.bostonredevelopmentauthor...5-e78f1f04c3d5

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 7:08 PM

I think part of the difference is that in Boston the approval process pretty much guarantees that the developer has to release tons of renders and the final design must be shown to the public because there are public design review meetings as well as zoning approval meetings.

I don't know how that compares to NYC but that may be part of the difference.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 3:24 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Some decent height.

I like this schematic. Decent amount of parking.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 7:46 AM

1987 just called--they want their building back

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 10:33 AM
Ascension

^ 1900 called. They want their joke back.

This is a really nice building. Boston sure has a nice list of proposed skyscrapers. This might be the best of the bunch.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 1:10 PM

Based on the design commission meeting last night it looks like there is strong support for this tower and it sounds as though the developer is planning for it to reach the max height of 735 feet that the FAA allows.

The one hiccup in the plan is that the zoning for this area was last set in the 60s to a height of 155 feet and because the site is under 1 acre they cannot use a pda plan like Millennium Tower to get around it so they will either need zoning relief or the city may have to rezone the Midtown Cultural District to allow taller buildings for this to get built.

Even so the outlook on this getting built is still good.

Some design changes that are likely to occur are minor adjustments to the overall design as well as either a reduction in the size of the car port on Bromfield street or a total removal of the Bromfield Street carport access.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 3:01 PM
Show me the blueprints

Excellent. Bravely futuristic.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Apr 11, 2016, 2:35 PM
Bostonian

Slick write-up on Skyrise Cities: http://skyrisecities.com/news/2016/0...llennium-tower

I'd say we Bostonians are (mostly) excited for this one.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive