HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 27, 2010, 11:24 PM
Density and complexity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
Judy is lucky to have a bunch of NDP pigeons to vote her in blindly term after term in the North End.

If she thinks she can ever win south of Selkirk Ave then she truely is out to lunch.
You are quite right. There have been only two leftist mayoral candidates that have won in Winnipeg: John Queen in 1933, at the height of the Great Depression; and Glen Murray in 1999, who only secured labour's endorsement by virtue of him being an inch deep and mile wide.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2010, 12:35 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgalston View Post
You are quite right. There have been only two leftist mayoral candidates that have won in Winnipeg: John Queen in 1933, at the height of the Great Depression; and Glen Murray in 1999, who only secured labour's endorsement by virtue of him being an inch deep and mile wide.
Seymour J. Farmer was another (elected 1922 and 1923).

In a somewhat surreal experience, I pass by several large Glen Murray bus-shelter ads on my walk home from work. He is running as the Liberal provincial candidate in Toronto Centre-Rosedale, the boundary of which is half a block away from me.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2010, 12:32 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Polling data suggest Katz is vulnerable

Viewpoints Research tests three scenarios against mayor

By: Mia Rabson
29/01/2010 1:00 AM | Comments: 28
Political forces lining up against Sam Katz for this fall's civic election say they now have polling data showing the mayor is vulnerable against possible contenders such as NDP MP Judy Wasylycia-Leis.
The Free Press has learned that the NDP-connected polling firm Viewpoints Research tested Katz against at least three different contenders: Wasylycia-Leis, councillor Lillian Thomas -- the only declared candidate for mayor thus far -- and Winnipeg Chamber of Commerce President Dave Angus, who is also being encouraged to run.
None of the sources would release the poll results, but all said they showed Katz' re-election is far from a sure thing. One said in a head-to-head race with Katz, Wasylycia-Leis was "competitive."
Wasylycia-Leis said she did not commission the poll and hasn't yet been shown any results.
"I'm anxious to see it," she said. "It would help me make my decision."
However Wasylycia-Leis said so far her decision is being based on the reaction received since she went public with the fact she is considering a run for the mayor's job. "It's all been positive," she said.
Wasylycia-Leis said she has set mid-April as the absolute deadline for making a decision and said if she decides to run for mayor she would step down as the MP for Winnipeg North.
Equally as influential says Wasylycia-Leis, was Katz himself and his state-of-the-city speech, which she said she believes was an indirect attack on her.
In his speech to the Winnipeg Chamber of Commerce Katz declared war on the NDP and the Winnipeg Citizens' Coalition, which he referred to as a "left-wing group" saying they will not take over city hall on his watch. "I can assure you I will do everything in my power to make sure that no political party ever ever takes control of your city hall."
Said Wasylycia-Leis: "The best poll was Sam Katz himself. The indirect attack at me in his speech. It was a very defensive move."
Wasylycia-Leis said a state of the city speech is supposed to be a chance for Katz to outline his vision for the city. "For him to spend even a second going after a bogeyman, or a candidate that hasn't even declared yet, he seems to be rattled," she said.
Bobbi Ethier, co-chair of the Winnipeg Citizens' Coalition, said she was very surprised by Katz's speech and said it has spurred a number of people to get more involved with the coalition.
"We've had some pretty big reaction from very credible citizens," said Ethier.
She said she took offence at the group being labelled "left-wing" noting she is a longtime member of and organizer for the Liberal Party of Canada.
"I wouldn't have anything to do with it if this was an NDP group," said Ethier.
The coalition bills itself as a "community driven group" pushing for more responsibility at city hall. Ethier said Katz should be embracing the coalition, which isn't endorsing any one candidate and aims to engage more people in civic politics and improve the dismal 38 per cent voter turnout from the last mayor's race.
A spokesman for Katz declined to comment further about the speech or its possible galvanizing effect on his opponents. "The mayor made his opinions very clear," said a spokesman for Katz. "The mayor also isn't going to comment further on a campaign by someone who hasn't even officially declared their candidacy."
No incumbent mayor has been defeated in Winnipeg since Stephen Juba beat George Sharpe in 1957.
Last June a Probe Research poll found Winnipeggers were decidedly content with Katz's performance with 16 per cent saying he was performing "very well" and 58 per cent saying he was performing "fairly well."

--with files from Bartley Kives
mia.rabson@freepress.mb.ca

Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition January 29, 2010 A5

Old Posted Jan 30, 2010, 1:36 AM
Density and complexity

Where would Winnipeg's mainstream media be without SSP forums?

Old Posted Jan 30, 2010, 3:13 AM

And for that matter... Where would SSP forums be without the countless 1ajs' cut-and-paste posts?

Old Posted Jan 30, 2010, 5:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy old man View Post
And for that matter... Where would SSP forums be without the countless 1ajs' cut-and-paste posts?
Well, someone has to contravene the forum rules, right?

Old Posted Jan 30, 2010, 8:14 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Okay so who is going to be the one to tell him that we all know the Free Press is available on-line?

Old Posted Jan 30, 2010, 8:24 AM
I am a typical

It won't be for long. I am pretty sure Maclean's mentioned they're considering making their content available only to paying subscribers.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2010, 8:31 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

what the hell?

Old Posted Jan 30, 2010, 3:09 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
It won't be for long. I am pretty sure Maclean's mentioned they're considering making their content available only to paying subscribers.
You already have to pay to read parts of the Free Press.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2010, 5:56 PM
I am a typical

Yes, but under the scheme Rupert Murdoch wants media companies to impose, you would have to pay to read almost everything.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2010, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Grumpy - back to the attic.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2010, 4:56 AM
The Loyal Opposition

My post on the previous page re: Viewpoints survey has now been referenced by RG's The Rise and Sprawl, The Black Rod.

Last edited by DowntownWpg; Feb 1, 2010 at 6:18 AM.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2010, 3:52 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
That's a bunch of BS...but whatever. I just will get my info somewhere else

Last edited by Jets4Life; Feb 2, 2010 at 7:53 AM. Reason: clarification

Old Posted Feb 2, 2010, 3:53 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
Grumpy - back to the attic.
lol

Old Posted Feb 6, 2010, 8:03 PM

Wyatt eyes run vs. Katz, says city 'rudderless'
Councillor critical of mayor's speech

Winnipeg Free Press

Quote:
Wyatt announced late Friday he's considering a mayoral run this fall, partly because he does not relish the prospect of sitting on council for four more years with Katz as mayor.

The city is "rudderless" under Katz, claimed Wyatt, who said the mayor's Jan. 26 State of the City speech compelled him to throw his name in the ring.

"A week ago Tuesday, I went in hoping the mayor would present some ideas about the future. I left disappointed," Wyatt said. "A great city has to have a bold vision of the future. I think that's missing from this city. We often spend too much time looking backward."
Wow, maybe an real alternative to Sam Katz? I'd vote for him.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2010, 3:57 PM
The Loyal Opposition

This morning, I've been pondering what would be worse for Winnipeg... another four years of Shady Sammy, or Washthedishesplease as Our Worship. I don't care for either of them, usually for very different reasons.

Sammy has given potential mayoral challengers so much ammunition to use against him... so it is really unfortunate that it looks like Judy will be the only challenger with somewhat of a chance.

At this time, the Vegas-line odds favour Sammy to win at 2:5, mainly due to his being the incumbent and factoring typical voter turnout statistics of their traditional support bases (could also consider geographically-based voter turnouts in civic elections ie: north/central vs south and suburban, which should also align with their bases).

Preview of the October civic election: Shady Sammy shouting about potholes; Washthedishesplease sobbing about the state of feminism at city hall. All around, no real vision to be found.

Looks like I'll have to throw my vote away to either Ron or Natalie Pollock!

Last edited by DowntownWpg; Apr 27, 2010 at 4:21 PM.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2010, 2:55 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

whats wrong with judy???? shes probly 0ne of the few mp's who actualy do their job................

anyhow she was in the hood on sunday for this years WASAC run with the cheifs event

pics of the run >> http://www.pointdouglas.com/index.ph...sectionid=42&s
judy and the young l;ady she that ran beside her

Old Posted Apr 29, 2010, 12:54 PM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownWpg View Post
This morning, I've been pondering what would be worse for Winnipeg... another four years of Shady Sammy, or Washthedishesplease as Our Worship. I don't care for either of them, usually for very different reasons.

Sammy has given potential mayoral challengers so much ammunition to use against him... so it is really unfortunate that it looks like Judy will be the only challenger with somewhat of a chance.

At this time, the Vegas-line odds favour Sammy to win at 2:5, mainly due to his being the incumbent and factoring typical voter turnout statistics of their traditional support bases (could also consider geographically-based voter turnouts in civic elections ie: north/central vs south and suburban, which should also align with their bases).

Preview of the October civic election: Shady Sammy shouting about potholes; Washthedishesplease sobbing about the state of feminism at city hall. All around, no real vision to be found.

Looks like I'll have to throw my vote away to either Ron or Natalie Pollock!

Pretty much summarizes the situation although at least now you have Wyatt to consider. I don't really know much about him so maybe somebody else can fill in the blanks.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2010, 7:17 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

He probably won't do it as long as Katz is around, but I think Dave Angus would make a great mayor..

Another fine choice would be Jim August, just looking at the job he's done with the Forks makes me wonder what our city could be like if he had just a little more money and power at his disposal.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan