HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Mar 21, 2015, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Policy Wonk View Post
I'm saying that most of the vagrants I have seen in SF were white. This isn't a sociological endeavor. That's just what I recall having seen.

This 2013 study puts the proportion of African American homeless at 24%.

http://sfgov.org/lhcb/sites/sfgov.or...less_Count.pdf
For the record, I'm not disputing what you have seen however acknowledging there is most likely some spatial aspect around dispersion of homelessness. I have too encountered many white homeless people around the embarcadero and the piers, however once you head west the change is dramatic and the numbers are nearly exponential of homeless in total.

Back on track but maintaining the example you have provided, I think seeing a homeless guy begging for change up in North Beach is one thing. However seeing the "vagrant" issues as you say in areas such as south of market (before anyone jumps down my throat south of Market between Van Ness ave, Mission and the start to Bayshore freeway is not a SoMA district.).

I went there to see the area my father grew up in, most vivid memory of that is empty parking lots where flats use to be full of people on various narcotics swinging poles and trash cans around.

I think most people are more generally able to accept the former rather than the later.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2015, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
My last post from the EV thread.

Oh yeah, look at the drama surrounding their proposal in Thorncliff. They need to have a few small shelters around the city as others have said, and they definitely need more transitional housing like the Thorncliff proposal.
Also it was announced on Friday that the Province has asked for the DI to return the Province's grant so unless they can come up with $5.1M the project is pretty much dead in the water.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2015, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riise View Post
Wow, great reference! I wasn't even legal when that placed closed and I've been legal for a while now.
A friend took me there for my 18th, was a pretty dirty, run down place.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2015, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
The consultant hired by the Community Association has completed a concept plan that looks fairly good. Creates a little village by redeveloping the site by placing a number of mixed use buildings around the hotel building such as a grocery store on a main level with a few levels of residential above in one, a gym on a main level in another, again with a few levels of residential above, etc. The hotel building is retained. The problem that has been brewing is that the DIC changed the plan for the hotel building from a mix of suites to all single bedrooms with a common dining room, and I don't blame the CA for walking away from the table with a terrible plan like that for the hotel building. If this village concept would go ahead with the hotel building retaining the original mixed suite plan, I think it would be a lovely addition to an otherwise ugly area of the community, and I hope the CA can get onboard with that.
Hopefully they can do something there, such an under utilized site.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy