HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 3:59 AM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cage View Post
There are a couple of interesting ideas that have come up of late regarding secondary suites.

(1) Amnesty program for suites with identified safety deficiencies. It's a good idea that would alleviate the safety grey area concerns i.e. Drywall around the furnace. Emergency egress through window. The amnesty plan would allow for an existing suite to remain on the market while renovations were ongoing and the suite went through the development and building permit processes. This would bring suites into compliance overtime.

There are two major drawbacks to the amnesty idea. One the rental suite landlords will use the amnesty period to delay the inevitable shutting down of the suite, no intention of doing the renovations and will shutter the suite once the amnesty programs has run its course Two, what happens if there is a loss of life incident in the identified unsafe suite. The city owes a duty of care to the tenants to prevent unsafe situations.

(2) secondary suite whistleblower line. This program would allow for tenants to call about unsafe suites without fear of losing their home and being kicked out on the street.

I like the whistleblower hotline idea, infact I run the financial ethics whistleblower hotline for my employer. This would allow for quick identification of huge size and complexity of unsafe secondary suites.

One item that I don't like is restricting population of complainants to just tenants. I feel that anyone should be able to call in the unsafe secondary suite situation. This should include all types of tenants ( past, present, future), neighbours, general public. If complainant population is restricted it becomes much easier to identify who made the complaint, and while anti-retaliation provisions are in place, they will not be able to cover all circumstances.

(3) require secondary suite landlords to obtain and remain current a business licence.

I like idea the best as it affords an opportunity for the landlord / owner to remain true to then promises on development and responsibilities as set out by the city.
If the suite is deemed unsafe, it would be shut down and the tenant would be kicked out, would they not? Unless (1) was also in effect. And I think you're right, the problem with (1) is a huge legal liability for the city who knows about an unsafe suite and doesn't act. Really the way amnesty would probably have to work is absence of fines for an unsafe suite if mitigation is ongoing, but no tenants during that time.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
If the suite is deemed unsafe, it would be shut down and the tenant would be kicked out, would they not? Unless (1) was also in effect. And I think you're right, the problem with (1) is a huge legal liability for the city who knows about an unsafe suite and doesn't act. Really the way amnesty would probably have to work is absence of fines for an unsafe suite if mitigation is ongoing, but no tenants during that time.
The tenant whistle blower hotline is completely ineffective and underutilized if it results in the tenant losing their home. Any hotline would have to include provisions the tenant was allowed to stay in the suite while remediation was ongoing.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 5:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
AGARY CITY COUNCIL
October 6, 2014 8:48 pm
Debate on secondary suites heats up at city council

By Gary Bobrovitz and Jenna Freeman Global News

more

Councilors spent more than 2 hours Monday deciding whether or not to turn down a secondary suite proposal.

In the end it was turned down but some councilors are frustrated with the process.

Ward 1 Councilor, Ward Sutherland, believes there needs to be a policy in place to deal with the applications rather than each case being decided individually.

“This talk is going to continually go in circles,” Sutherland said Monday. “Until we get a hard core task force and we start working on this, come up with options, with compromises… this conversation is turning in a circle.”

City council has seen a number of applications recently, some believe it can be attributed to a lack of affordable housing.

Global News

Steve Allen with Calgary Economic Development worries it could deter people from moving to Calgary.

“It’s no secret that we have expensive housing” Allen says. “We have a housing shortage here… so I think it’s going to keep people from coming.”

Those opposed to secondary suites argue that there is more than enough properties in Calgary properly zoned to accommodate the additional rental space.

Bob Porteous lives in North Haven, residents in the community signed a petition against adding a suite in the community.

“There are over one hundred thousand properties in the city that are currently zoned for secondary suites that don’t have secondary suites in them” argues North. “So why load it on us, the R-1 owners?”

City staff are in the process of developing a secondary suite policy which is expected before council in December.
http://globalnews.ca/news/1601569/de...-city-council/

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 5:12 PM
BANNED

Full vid:

Another big issue without a comprehensive secondary unit policy is that way too much of city council's time is going to approving on a one-off basis.

http://globalnews.ca/video/1601650/s...ocessing-times

Old Posted Oct 8, 2014, 3:59 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Mountain View Post
HVAC - Use furnace for upstairs, blank off all downstairs ductwork, place in floor heating throughout - $3,000
Not legal. You have to have fresh air coming in.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2014, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need A Thneed View Post
What an anachronism - how do apartment buildings comply, or is the building code just odd?

Old Posted Oct 8, 2014, 4:32 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
What an anachronism - how do apartment buildings comply, or is the building code just odd?
They get fresh air from a different system.

Some old buildings may still be grandfathered.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 2:42 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need A Thneed View Post
I'm sure you could put a fresh air system in for relatively little cost. Also Don't windows count?

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 7:04 PM
Moran supreme

So the latest motion regarding secondary suites voted down again in council - interesting that Sean Chu noted 80,000 residences now eligible to have the suites should be the focus before any expansion into neighborhoods that might not welcome them.

Well I am in one of those homes that could have a legal secondary suite and guess what, there won't be one in our home for the foreseeable future. Same goes for every one of our neighbors - some 30-40 homes and not a one has a secondary suite in it and in fact, one would be hard pressed to find a secondary suite in any home in our community except for homes that are located on the busier peripheral streets along the edge of our community. Of course, that's where most of the rental properties are located as well.

Never the less, councilors like Sean Chu are maybe off their rocker a bit in believing that many homeowners that live in and own a home that is zoned for a legal secondary suite actually will ever create one - a lot of these homeowners liking having all of their own space and just because their home is zoned to allow a legal secondary suite doesn't mean it's ever going to happen. IMHO council failed us on this vote because some members of council are out of touch with reality.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 8:01 PM
BANNED

Fail

Old Posted Dec 25, 2014, 6:06 PM
YIMBY

As a resident of a community where secondary suites are allowed, I have to agree with Speedog, our community isn't over run with them. The rules that are in place for suites prevent many lots from having them for being to narrow (requires an 11.6m width), then add to that the requirements of building one and many home owners are put off from building them.

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted May 21, 2015, 6:33 PM
YIMBY

I hope that council passes a resolution to require a business license to rent out your home if they are going to require one for renting out a basement suite.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2015, 3:20 PM
cow orker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Mountain View Post
I'm sure you could put a fresh air system in for relatively little cost. Also Don't windows count?
I know I'm replying to a 350 day old post, but... We put a legal suite in a couple of years ago. We have a boiler running the addition (which is 2 storey plus basement) for heat and DHW and a separate HRV for the walkout suite. I believe the HRV was about $3k installed and includes bath fan and two fresh air drops one in the bedroom and one in the livingroom.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy