HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 8:47 PM
BANNED

Pandas at the Calgary Zoo

Probably a pinch ahead of myself here, but am curious about where the Pandas will go. In addition, clearly there are business, political and economic implications, so hopefully this is an appropriate thread for this forum.

Pandas coming to Calgary:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/st...das-china.html
Quote:
The Calgary Zoo says it's getting excited about rolling out the welcome mat for two Chinese pandas.

Zoo spokeswoman Laurie Skene says China has agreed to lend Canada two pandas for 10 years.

The animals will divide their time equally between the Toronto and Calgary zoos, though it's not known which city they'll visit first.

Skene says the two governments are still finalizing details such as the ages and genders of the pandas.

A formal announcement is expected Saturday when Prime Minister Stephen Harper visits the city of Chongqing.

The pandas will be a huge draw at the Calgary Zoo, predicted Gordon Houlden, director of the China Institute at the University of Alberta.

I suspect you'll get destination tourism. People will be coming from Vancouver, people will be coming from other parts of the Prairies. Even the western United States … specifically to see the pandas,” he said.

Skene says the pandas won't arrive in Canada for at least a year as the zoos upgrade their facilities to accommodate them.

Go to http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/st...das-china.html for the rest of the article.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 9:18 PM

I remember when they had Pandas about 25 years ago. I was a kid and was more excited that some stores had Panda ice cream. lol

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 9:21 PM
Home of Hyperchange

I never did see the pandas when Winnipeg had them in the late 80s, and trying to get into the San Diego zoo has always been a .. challenge, to say the least. So I'm kinda looking forward to this. Although I'm told they're a bit boring to look at.

This combined with the penguins (fellow black and white animals!) should re-kindle an interest in the zoo for many.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 9:25 PM

The pandas are best to watch at feeding time, as they do some hillarious stuff. I saw them at the Calgar zoo way back when, and then again when I was in Chengdu China.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 9:47 PM
City of Blinding Lights

I remember what a big deal it was when i was a kid and the pandas came to Calgary. There was a whole curriculum at school built around it. I too am very curious where the exhibit will go. Will they be building a whole new habitat? I imagine that there is room in the Canadian Wild portion, or in the Dinosaur park since they are getting rid of that.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
I remember when they had Pandas about 25 years ago. I was a kid and was more excited that some stores had Panda ice cream. lol
a friend of mine is writing to lucerne to get them to re-instate their panda ice cream!

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 10:38 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonGoldenFlames View Post
a friend of mine is writing to lucerne to get them to re-instate their panda ice cream!
Was it bamboo flavoured?

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 10:47 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburb View Post
Was it bamboo flavoured?
Chocolate and Vanilla for the bear, strawberry surrounding it.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post
I remember what a big deal it was when i was a kid and the pandas came to Calgary. There was a whole curriculum at school built around it. I too am very curious where the exhibit will go. Will they be building a whole new habitat? I imagine that there is room in the Canadian Wild portion, or in the Dinosaur park since they are getting rid of that.
They're getting rid of the dinosaur park? Nooooo! Say it ain't so. They could modernize it perhaps with mechanical dino's like they had temporarily, but there is a huge interest in dinos. And of course we could house real dino's there if they ever get the amber & cloning bugs worked out ;-)

I saw the panda back in 1988 (I think it was the Olympic year). I was disappointed since all I really got to see was a hairy back, sleeping behind a little hill. I guess timing is everything. It's like when I saw Koala's in an Australian zoo. I stood there for 20 minutes before one even moved lol.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 11:55 PM
Original Member since '99

haha, i remember panda ice cream!

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Was it bamboo flavoured?
Nope, Panda flavoured.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2012, 1:13 AM
YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahoo View Post
They're getting rid of the dinosaur park? Nooooo! Say it ain't so. They could modernize it perhaps with mechanical dino's like they had temporarily, but there is a huge interest in dinos. And of course we could house real dino's there if they ever get the amber & cloning bugs worked out ;-)

I saw the panda back in 1988 (I think it was the Olympic year). I was disappointed since all I really got to see was a hairy back, sleeping behind a little hill. I guess timing is everything. It's like when I saw Koala's in an Australian zoo. I stood there for 20 minutes before one even moved lol.
They did have mechanical ones recently, still not that huge of an attraction though, definitely could be a better use of that space

Old Posted Feb 10, 2012, 3:19 PM
Home of Hyperchange

The dinosaur park was cool 25 years ago. These days it's a rotting corpse of its former self, and with the previous zoo expansion plans, pretty much nothing has been done there. It's a virtual ghost town whenever I visit - a few families here and there but nothing compared to the hordes our zoo typically attracts.

I just hope they do *something* with that space soon. It's a shame to have so much wasted potential.

Speaking of space, it's been a while since I've been to the zoo this season - does anyone know offhand where the penguins are located?

Old Posted Feb 10, 2012, 3:37 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
The dinosaur park was cool 25 years ago. These days it's a rotting corpse of its former self, and with the previous zoo expansion plans, pretty much nothing has been done there. It's a virtual ghost town whenever I visit - a few families here and there but nothing compared to the hordes our zoo typically attracts.

I just hope they do *something* with that space soon. It's a shame to have so much wasted potential.

Speaking of space, it's been a while since I've been to the zoo this season - does anyone know offhand where the penguins are located?
I think they're out in the Canadian Wilds area, ie left when you come in, over by the bears, etc. at least that's were they were building when I was there last 2ish years ago, looking at the map on the website I can't be sure about that though

Old Posted Feb 10, 2012, 3:42 PM
Here and There

Quote:

I still think it is cool, and I'm sure plenty of other people do as well.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2012, 3:44 PM
City of Blinding Lights

They are immediately to the right of the main entrance. When you come out of the tunnel under Memorial the exhibit is right ther

Old Posted Feb 10, 2012, 5:04 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Mountain View Post
I think they're out in the Canadian Wilds area, ie left when you come in, over by the bears, etc. at least that's were they were building when I was there last 2ish years ago, looking at the map on the website I can't be sure about that though
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post
They are immediately to the right of the main entrance. When you come out of the tunnel under Memorial the exhibit is right ther
Full Mountain is correct. Immediately to the LEFT upon coming out of the tunnel under Memorial.

You can watch a 3D fly through:
http://www.calgaryzoo.org/content/view/772/879/

Old Posted Feb 10, 2012, 5:18 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Full Mountain is correct. Immediately to the LEFT upon coming out of the tunnel under Memorial.

You can watch a 3D fly through:
http://www.calgaryzoo.org/content/view/772/879/
Where I was picturing it was farther out, but you're right it's directly beside the entrance

Old Posted Feb 10, 2012, 5:43 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Lol that's what I get for posting when I am half asleep

Old Posted Feb 10, 2012, 9:32 PM

Quote:

I agree, the Dinosaur park is a waste of valuable space.

Jurasic Park by D-2-C, on Flickr

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy