HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Aug 29, 2011, 12:39 AM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
The old Partsource on 16th ave NW is going to be a Coop liquor store....
I'm very much looking forward to this!

Old Posted Aug 29, 2011, 4:01 AM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Any have any comments on Coop liquor stores? I've heard that the super store liquor stores are super cheap, but am unfamiliar with coop.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2011, 4:23 AM

Co-op liquor seems to be priced average if you ask me, usually fairly nice with a great selection. Superstore is cheaper, b ut if you like cold beer, they might not be the best place to go, they have no refrigerators.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2011, 4:24 AM
Home of Hyperchange

For a privatized market, I find the "competition" between liquor stores in AB sadly disappointing. The only real difference I find is that the bigger the store, the more selection they have. Beyond that, they all seem to be within a few dollars of each other. And they all have to carry so much of the same banal (but popular!) stuff that there often isn't much variety between any 2 given stores.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2011, 4:45 AM

Quote:
Any have any comments on Coop liquor stores? I've heard that the super store liquor stores are super cheap, but am unfamiliar with coop.
I like CO-OP liquor stores. The newer ones have the best beer selection for a non speciality store in town. Added bonus, their CO-OP Classic Ale is brewed by Big Rock. Tastes like a slightly lighter Trad.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2011, 4:52 AM

Since most of the cost of liquor is government taxes, unless the store decides to take a loss leader, or if a liquor brand pays stocking fees to particular store or lowers the price to the liquor distributor monopoly,there won't be much difference in price. In the last two cases the only discount will come from if those particular stores choose to lower their prices as well.

Hence why competition between brands come down to 'included free stuff' most of the time.

As for CO-OP Classic Ale, it is really great!

Old Posted Aug 29, 2011, 6:19 AM

can you get liquor at costco in alberta?

Old Posted Aug 29, 2011, 7:16 AM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Hmm, well it will be interesting to see. I find lately all the beer I'm interested in buying are craft brews, so I'd like to find a place with a good selection and good prices (for example, $17 for a 6-pack of Red Racer IPA seems a bit over the top at the local liquor store)..actually kind of curious how much it costs in BC. Zyn is tops for selection.

I'll def try that Co-op ale at least once though.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2011, 1:34 PM
effete latte-lifter

Quote:
Hmm, well it will be interesting to see. I find lately all the beer I'm interested in buying are craft brews, so I'd like to find a place with a good selection and good prices (for example, $17 for a 6-pack of Red Racer IPA seems a bit over the top at the local liquor store)..actually kind of curious how much it costs in BC. Zyn is tops for selection.

I'll def try that Co-op ale at least once though.
I was impressed and depressed when I found Red Racer here in Philly for $10 a six. Of course, due to the most bizarre liquor laws in the known Universe in Pennsylvania you have to buy beer buy the case s0 it was actually $40 for 24. Still, I really wonder where the markup for that beer comes in? In Vancouver it's abut 10-12 a six depending on if it's from a BC Liquor store or one of the new private beer stores. In Calgary it's $17 bucks everywhere. No other Canadian beer is hit so hard by a price increase.

By the way, from Co-ops, you can get Bowen Island for $6.50 a six pack. The IPA is not bad. Don't expect Red Racer, but seriously, it's decent and costs the same as Lucky or AGD.

As far as I know Only retail is privatized in Alberta, and there is only one distributor for beer in the province, hence the complete lack of competition between stores.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2011, 2:15 PM
cow orker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwhit View Post

By the way, from Co-ops, you can get Bowen Island for $6.50 a six pack. The IPA is not bad. Don't expect Red Racer, but seriously, it's decent and costs the same as Lucky or AGD.

As far as I know Only retail is privatized in Alberta, and there is only one distributor for beer in the province, hence the complete lack of competition between stores.
I'm pretty sure Bowen Island (brewed by Big Rock, was the rumour I heard) was removed a few years ago. The nearest priced is Co-Op Gold, which is also brewed by Big Rock (Or Pine Creek, owned by BR).

Let me know if I'm mistaken on any of this.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2011, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Co-op liquor seems to be priced average if you ask me, usually fairly nice with a great selection. Superstore is cheaper, b ut if you like cold beer, they might not be the best place to go, they have no refrigerators.
I tend to only buy booze from the non-chain stores, not because I support the little guy... but they usually have neon beer signs in the windows, looks more like a liquor store to me!

I still can't believe the rest of this country besides Quebec still has Government Stores, I'm embarrassed for them!

Old Posted Aug 29, 2011, 2:22 PM
effete latte-lifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by monocle View Post
I'm pretty sure Bowen Island (brewed by Big Rock, was the rumour I heard) was removed a few years ago. The nearest priced is Co-Op Gold, which is also brewed by Big Rock (Or Pine Creek, owned by BR).

Let me know if I'm mistaken on any of this.
Nope, I just bought a case of of from Co-op last week, it's contract brewed in Kamloops, not by Big Rock (honestly, the IPA would be Big Rock's best effort by far if they brewed it.) The IPA is fairly new to Calgary, within the last 6 months at most. Purple cans.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2011, 3:40 PM
effete latte-lifter

Quote:
The Co-op liquor stores at Hamptons, and Dalhusie have some of the best beer selections in the city thanks to a guy named Mike. He's very similar in stature and appearance, and personality to Willow Park's beer guy, Dave.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2011, 4:18 PM

I'd like to see the province take the next logical step and allow alcohol sales in conveinience stores and grocery stores like in Quebec. I believe this was the initial plan after privatization but never happened. Also, they should get rid of the distribution monopoly and open that stage of the supply chain to competition. It just makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
Yeah, the prices are quite good. You can get 55 packs of Kokanee for $60-$70 there - I find that it's a good place to stock up for a weekend trip to BC.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2011, 4:35 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by artvandelay View Post
I'd like to see the province take the next logical step and allow alcohol sales in conveinience stores and grocery stores like in Quebec.
I'd be happy as a start if they at least allowed the co-op/sobeys/safeway liquor stores to even share a frigging BUILDING with the parent store. We sometimes wonder where so much urban sprawl comes from, and then we mandate that retail has to have all this excess SPACE and parking. It's mind-boggling to an outsider. And annoying as hell to watch people actually drive between 2 stores that in any sane world, are really one store.

Quote:
Yeah, the prices are quite good. You can get 55 packs of Kokanee for $60-$70 there - I find that it's a good place to stock up for a weekend trip to BC.
I didn't realize this, but technically bringing alcohol into BC is illegal for some obsolete (but occasionally enforced) reason.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2011, 4:56 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwhit View Post
I was impressed and depressed when I found Red Racer here in Philly for $10 a six. [...] In Calgary it's $17 bucks everywhere.
That's that deregulation working to keep prices low.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2011, 5:24 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Random retail observation - new sign up indicates a Shoppers is going up in the new retail development in Royal Oak. That will now give me FOUR pharmacy type sources within a few minutes' walk of my house - Sobeys, Wal-Mart, London Drugs, and now Shoppers.

I guess it's great to see active competition, I just wish it wasn't always the same damn 8 chains opening up everywhere. And it further cements my belief that Shoppers is trying very hard to be the Starbucks of drug stores.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2011, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post

I didn't realize this, but technically bringing alcohol into BC is illegal for some obsolete (but occasionally enforced) reason.
There was a thing about this in the news a couple months ago, some guy informed the RCMP that he was bringing a few cases of wine or something into Alberta from BC and no one did anything about it. I believe it was in protest to the law (which CBC said was never enforced) which dates from Prohibition.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2011, 6:30 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
At some of the locations - yes. The Sarcee Costco at Beacon Hill has a liquor outlet. Not sure about the others.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Aug 29, 2011, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Random retail observation - new sign up indicates a Shoppers is going up in the new retail development in Royal Oak. That will now give me FOUR pharmacy type sources within a few minutes' walk of my house - Sobeys, Wal-Mart, London Drugs, and now Shoppers.

I guess it's great to see active competition, I just wish it wasn't always the same damn 8 chains opening up everywhere. And it further cements my belief that Shoppers is trying very hard to be the Starbucks of drug stores.
Is it that triangle piece of vacant land near the Walmart or on the other side?

Also, any news of what retail will follow Shoppers to that area? A gas station/convenience store would do well and be very handy for Royal Oak residents as the nearest one is the Coop gas bar in Rocky Ridge.

And you're right, the same shops pop up in all these suburban shopping plazas. Would be nice to see some variety.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy