HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Jun 13, 2013, 4:18 PM

A bit more info on the Sobey/Safeway deal. Branding is still being decided. I wouldn't be surprised if they kept the Safeway name for a few years at least.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/busines...440/story.html

Old Posted Jun 13, 2013, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srperrycgy View Post
Sobeys is already an AirMiles sponsor in the Maritimes, I would suspect they would expand that to the West and dump their existing program.
In Quebec and the Atlantic provinces Sobeys has Airmiles program. In the West and Ontario its Club Sobeys with an option to convert points to Aeroplan. I suspect that Empire would like to drop the Airmiles option in the East rather than drop Club Sobeys option.

Behind the scenes the Club Sobeys program allows for Sobeys to conduct much more granular market research and target marketting than Airmiles program. With the airmiles program the marketting data stays with airmiles and the data is shared amongst retail participants in a summarized form. From a marketting perspective the Club Sobeys program is much better.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2013, 12:44 AM
I'm the bear on the right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cage View Post
In Quebec and the Atlantic provinces Sobeys has Airmiles program. In the West and Ontario its Club Sobeys with an option to convert points to Aeroplan. I suspect that Empire would like to drop the Airmiles option in the East rather than drop Club Sobeys option.

Behind the scenes the Club Sobeys program allows for Sobeys to conduct much more granular market research and target marketting than Airmiles program. With the airmiles program the marketting data stays with airmiles and the data is shared amongst retail participants in a summarized form. From a marketting perspective the Club Sobeys program is much better.
The marketing data is certainly valuable. But, I can't see them dumping AirMiles. Maybe they will link their program to AirMiles and dump Aeroplan. Still early days, so who knows what they'll do.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2013, 3:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srperrycgy View Post
I live in a definite Safeway stronghold. Four nearby locations: Westbrook, Glamorgan, Garrison Woods and WestHills.

I would expect that Sobeys will have to dispose of some locations in the city. Still early though.
Add Lakeview to that list when the sale is complete. That part of South West Calgary will be a significant stronghold from Mission all the way to COOP on Richmond Road. I would not be disappointed to see Garrison Woods sold to Loblaw or Calgary COOP or Save On, just to add a little variety to our area.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2013, 12:02 AM
BANNED

Urban furniture store from Eastern Canada called Structube has leased most of the remaining main floor retail space at Hanson Square. Interior work already began awhile ago, so shouldn't be too long before opening. Good location for that imo. Most of the other furniture stores are more towards the northern sections of the Beltline .

http://www.structube.com/en/new-items

Old Posted Jul 17, 2013, 2:47 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
Urban furniture store from Eastern Canada called Structube has leased most of the remaining main floor retail space at Hanson Square. Interior work already began awhile ago, so shouldn't be too long before opening. Good location for that imo. Most of the other furniture stores are more towards the northern sections of the Beltline .

http://www.structube.com/en/new-items
Fantastic- I remember Structube from when I lived in Toronto. I love their platform beds- almost definitely will be our next bed.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2013, 4:29 PM

Looks like Reebok & Adiddas stores opening at Cross Iron finally. Now just a Nike Factory to complete the trio hopefully soon!

Old Posted Jul 19, 2013, 5:41 PM

What was originally beneath the new retail that is going in on 4th and 17th Ave? it seems from their excavation they are hitting an old rusted concrete foundation for something.

It's been a parking lot forever, or at least as far back as anyone I know remembers.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2013, 6:25 PM
not a NIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterG View Post
What was originally beneath the new retail that is going in on 4th and 17th Ave? it seems from their excavation they are hitting an old rusted concrete foundation for something.

It's been a parking lot forever, or at least as far back as anyone I know remembers.
It was the Shriner's Temple which later became an architect's office before being torn down for a parking lot.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2013, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterG View Post

It was either a Masonic or Shriners lodge I believe.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Jul 19, 2013, 7:36 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Shriners and looks like an apartment building as well

glenbow.org

Old Posted Jul 19, 2013, 9:14 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Just to continue to be a geek:

1) Waves coffee house
2) Ming building (believe it or not that building is a century old)
3) House that became funeral parlour that became Rose & Crown
4) Shriner Temple (with house to the left and small apartment to the right)

Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 4:43 AM
Retail-Insider

Saks Fifth Avenue has been bought by The Hudson's Bay Company. We speculate Saks locations could open in Downtown Calgary (inside of Hudson's Bay) and/or Chinook Centre:

http://www.retail-insider.com/2013/0...o-open-in.html

Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 5:17 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retail-Insider View Post
Saks Fifth Avenue has been bought by The Hudson's Bay Company. We speculate Saks locations could open in Downtown Calgary (inside of Hudson's Bay) and/or Chinook Centre:

http://www.retail-insider.com/2013/0...o-open-in.html
Yeah, I could def see that. Also, do you know of anything regarding possibly a Nordstrom's opening downtown? A few people on the forum are thinking a smaller Nordstrom location within the retail podium of the soon to be u/c Brookfield Place across from The Bay would be a pretty ideal location for them. Soon to be many more professionals working in that area.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 5:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
Just to continue to be a geek:

1) Waves coffee house
2) Ming building (believe it or not that building is a century old)
3) House that became funeral parlour that became Rose & Crown
4) Shriner Temple (with house to the left and small apartment to the right)
Really cool work, its always amazing to see how areas that seem so fixed and old have much history before the current iteration.

Great find!

I particularly like the expansion of the width of 5th street along 17th over the years. Can you imagine if that kind of expansion happened these day? (although it is more like asking if 130th ave SE would be expanded in 2005, both were on the outskirts for their respective times)

Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 2:40 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

I've seen that a few places before, since 5th st north of 17th is offset from 5th south of 17th, at some point they made it curve so you wouldn't have a nightmare intersection.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 5:00 PM
Near Generational

Quote:
I've seen that a few places before, since 5th st north of 17th is offset from 5th south of 17th, at some point they made it curve so you wouldn't have a nightmare intersection.
It looks like 17th street is a defacto correction line.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 7:11 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

It seemed to happen a lot of places, example check the streets east and west of 4th street north, north of 16th ave, particularly 20th ave and north. All offset. I have never found an explanation for that.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 7:27 PM

Quote:
It seemed to happen a lot of places, example check the streets east and west of 4th street north, north of 16th ave, particularly 20th ave and north. All offset. I have never found an explanation for that.
Ones like 5th Street and 17th Ave are quite a simple explanation actually. Dates back to when western Canada was originally surveyed, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominio...rvey#Townships which explains it.

Cases like along 4th Street NW are more likely related to something else, possibly as simple as different land owners doing things different

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 7:44 PM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
It looks like 17th street is a defacto correction line.
Actually, the only true correction line that runs through Calgary is 146 Avenue south (Alberta's 6th correction line up from the 49th parallel. The next one north lies at highway 791 at the south side of Airdrie and the next one south is at Highway 23 on the south side of High River - correction lines run every 24 miles north to south.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy