HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 3:50 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
I was just trying to raise points that cause me to question the credibility of the content of the announcement. Your point reinforces my belief.
I’m not even sure how so. Again, this is a third party website reporting the news of this development. No differently than when a random third party website reported about the Thompson Hotel a few years back. It seems you’re being cynical for the sake of being cynical. Just how I’m seeing it.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 3:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
I’m not even sure how so. Again, this is a third party website reporting the news of this development. No differently than when a random third party website reported about the Thompson Hotel a few years back. It seems you’re being cynical for the sake of being cynical. Just how I’m seeing it.
I'm not being a sucker and assuming the absolute best for a third-party poorly-written low-information hotel announcement.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 4:09 AM

Quote:
I'm not being a sucker and assuming the absolute best for a third-party poorly-written low-information hotel announcement.
Understandable. But I still think you’re being overly cynical. But again, understandable. You have the right to be cautious.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 4:14 AM

Quote:
These announcements are made to maximize hype around their development. If this hotel was part of a multi-tower project I think they would make that clear. As it is, it seems like they're trying to make this single tower sound as impressive as possible. I'm also not impressed with the very poor proofreading of the announcement which repeats a whole paragraph and shows that the author doesn't know the difference between it's and its. I would love to be wrong about this and learn they're building a residential/office high-rise as well as a hotel but until I see something substantial I won't assume a best-case scenario.
Gotta agree with you here. If, and I emphasize, IF, this is real, it's a good looking project, but the ambiguity begs skepticism. They can't match the rendering to the map in terms of location, but they make it sound good. Retail, multi-project, etc...gets the juices flowing.
At least the 800' Ferris wheels got local attention and went to the FAA.

https://news4sanantonio.com/news/loc...in-san-antonio

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 4:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless One View Post
Gotta agree with you here. If, and I emphasize, IF, this is real, it's a good looking project, but the ambiguity begs skepticism. They can't match the rendering to the map in terms of location, but they make it sound good. Retail, multi-project, etc...gets the juices flowing.
At least the 800' Ferris wheels got local attention and went to the FAA.

https://news4sanantonio.com/news/loc...in-san-antonio
Ha ha! I well remember the wheel. I was enchanted by the idea.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 5:00 AM

Quote:
Ha ha! I well remember the wheel. I was enchanted by the idea.
Yup, that one had me going in circles.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 6:11 AM
Paradise

If that's the case then maybe the brown part is the hotel. But I'm tired of hodgepodge designs with the residential/hotel/office all thrown together (though I'd still take it). Hopefully more renderings come out soon.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 6:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanTrance View Post
If that's the case then maybe the brown part is the hotel. But I'm tired of hodgepodge designs with the residential/hotel/office all thrown together (though I'd still take it). Hopefully more renderings come out soon.
I don't see 217 hotel rooms fitting in the "brown part", but I like the design.

I guess we'll know in 2023, as that is the supposed completion date.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 8:12 AM

I don't see how the announcement couldn't be legit...*somebody* put time and effort into that rendering that clearly shows a specific part of downtown (note the detail of the bridge, the river, the extant buildings around), so someone clearly has interest in this site and is cooking up something.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 1:04 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless One View Post
Yeah, the parking garage looks familiar, as does the design in the rendering. Regardless, I like the look and the area.

It's supposed to have street level retail, so, not all bad Jack.
Ha! Yes, I like this building. (Not just because of the retail, but that's great too.) It has glass, which will make glass lovers happy, but it's not just a glass box.

Thanks for the correct location, sirkingwilliam.

Quote:
The site linked doesn’t belong to the developer or even the hotel brand. It’s a development news website just reporting about this development. There is no announcement trying to garner attention or build hype. Using that news article’s grammatical errors to validate the actual development is a mistake imo.
It looks like the website just printed the press release verbatim. That happens a lot.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 2:01 PM

Rendering of UTSA’s new National Security Collaboration Center and School of Data Science planned for downtown.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Rendering of UTSA’s new National Security Collaboration Center and School of Data Science planned for downtown.

Very nice but whereabout is this at?

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAguy View Post
Very nice but whereabout is this at?
Between Dolorosa and Nueva. Dolorosa is on the left side of the rendering, the north facade of the building. San Pedro Creek runs along the bottom of the photo, the west side of the building.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 4:01 PM

Vague but surprising news about the Nix building:

"The South Texas-based company that acquired the Nix building has no plans at present to redevelop the iconic downtown tower into a new River Walk hotel.

Innjoy Hospitality partners Nitin Kasan and Adrian Ramirez have yet to finalize a strategy for the more than 300,000-square-foot building, though they are leaning toward including permanent housing.

“It’s not a hotel. We have not made the decision to go that route,” Ramirez said. “We are looking at multifamily.” "

https://www.bizjournals.com/sananton..._news_headline

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
Ha! Yes, I like this building. (Not just because of the retail, but that's great too.) It has glass, which will make glass lovers happy, but it's not just a glass box.

Thanks for the correct location, sirkingwilliam.

It looks like the website just printed the press release verbatim. That happens a lot.
There are a couple of other places with articles on this project. Overall they say about the same thing.

https://www.travelmarketreport.com/a...in-San-Antonio

This one from FTN News makes vague mention about this project being a part of something larger. "When open, the boutique hotel will be the centerpiece of a large mixed use development that includes office space and private residences, transforming a full city block into a communal gathering place for hotel guests and locals alike."

https://ftnnews.com/accommodation/38...-antonio-texas

While I have never heard of these publications, the company's website confirms their plans to bring a hotel to San Antonio by 2023.

http://www.dreamhotelgroup.com/hotels-en.html

This sounds like it could be real. I would love to see this project happen. That part of downtown really needs some life. It looks like the conference room is poised to look out over the river and the empty lot across the street.

Looks like the Rivard Report has picked up the press release.
https://therivardreport.com/new-york...n-san-antonio/

Last edited by JRG1974; Jan 28, 2020 at 6:53 PM.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
I don't see how the announcement couldn't be legit...*somebody* put time and effort into that rendering that clearly shows a specific part of downtown (note the detail of the bridge, the river, the extant buildings around), so someone clearly has interest in this site and is cooking up something.
The Rivard Report has some new details, so it's starting to look real:

https://therivardreport.com/new-york...n-san-antonio/

I think this rendering looks better than Dallas' Dream Hotel:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Dallas/comm...ream_hotel_in/

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 7:53 PM
Paradise

This rendering looks a lot better than most of the Dream Hotels I’ve looked at so far.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 7:58 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:

Building's cool enough. I love the roof garden.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 10:51 PM

"A spokeswoman for Dream Hotel, Katie Fontana, said the company could not confirm an exact location for the project or whether it was part of a larger mixed-use development.

Fontana did say the developer for the planned hotel is local and wishes to remain anonymous. She said the project was not fully funded and that the development partner was seeking additional investors.

One person familiar with the plans, former San Antonio Economic Development Foundation Vice President Danny Chavez, said he was introduced to plans for the hotel as far back as late 2017 or early 2018. Chavez, who left EDF last spring to work for the McKinney Economic Development Corp., said it was his understanding the hotel would be built on E. Martin Street as part of a planned multitower development."

https://www.bizjournals.com/sananton..._news_headline

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 10:56 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Dream Hotels are awesome. This is great news and a beautiful building. Hope this plan works out better than the one they had for Austin a few years back. That one never got off the ground as the company was going through a bumpy time with their founder getting into a bit of trouble.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio