HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeger View Post
The site has been largely dormant for two months except for a little digging around on the street level where the sidewalk used to be to put in what appears to be some underground electrical lines. I'll walk by the site in a few minutes.
I never thought it would be this bad. It's been a year since they started, and it now seems like there have been two lengthy delays. I last past by this place two weeks ago and started on another forum that it had a large hole - I was impressed by the work, then I realized it was the same progress from a photo posted here three months ago. Sad. I wonder what in the world is going on.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 7:42 PM

I took these today. They dug up the brick sidewalk (bricks wrapped in green on pallets) to bury some electrical lines.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 8:13 PM

[QUOTE=deeger;8104323]I took these today. They dug up the brick sidewalk (bricks wrapped in green on pallets) to bury some electrical lines.

[IMG][/IMG]

Thanks for providing these pictures. I really miss the heart that was craved in the brick that was seen on the River side.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 12:45 PM
JACKinBeantown

Nice photos. I love the old limestone wall (minus the graffiti of course... graffiti is a sign telling you that the perpetrator has low self esteem). Hopefully the clean version of the wall will be incorporated into the lobby interior.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 2:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeger View Post
I took these today. They dug up the brick sidewalk (bricks wrapped in green on pallets) to bury some electrical lines.

[IMG][/IMG]
Have you seen any new developments? Since you pass by there everyday, I was hoping you could updated us once a week.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryguy View Post
Have you seen any new developments? Since you pass by there everyday, I was hoping you could updated us once a week.
Happy to provide updates weekly. Nothing new as of last Monday. Been out much of this week for spring break. Will check again next Monday.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 8:51 PM

Update: 3/19/18

A little more activity at the site. In the first pic you can see they're dismantling the historic brick cistern they are required to keep, which I'm assuming they'll reconstruct later.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 12:16 AM

Some of these new buildings are being built on what seem like such tiny plots of real estate. I really do enjoy San Antonio’s mix of new and old architecture and this one should hopefully be a nice addition.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 1:27 AM

Thank you so much for posting updates. I really thought this project, over a year ago, would go much fast, but I think someone said it best - it's on the River, so things will go slow, so more since its such a small site. Once it's done though, damn... it going to be something really special. I for one cannot wait to eat the restaurant and take in the sights from it's from its vantage point. Similarly, I miss Citrus - at the Hotel Valencia, but the new restaurant (Dorrego's - mak sure Yessina is your waitress, she has been there for years. She is a great friend and she's great at her job) is just fine; the view gets better with new projects going up, like the Embassy Suites hotel. Not sure if the Frost Tower will be visible from its the restaurant balcony.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 1:57 AM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Some of these new buildings are being built on what seem like such tiny plots of real estate. I really do enjoy San Antonio’s mix of new and old architecture and this one should hopefully be a nice addition.
Very much like New York City in that regard. Nice update. Good to see this is happening.

Excavation and prep for foundation is always the slowest part of a new building, especially in a location with obstacles such as the river. Once the foundation is poured it will pick up the pace.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 3:24 AM

Is this supposed to have underground parking?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 5:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan5021 View Post
Is this supposed to have underground parking?
No. It is really hard for highrises on the River to have both parking and be taller than what is typically there. While not part of the project, there was suppose to be a 10-floor parking garage next to Market Street Garage in front of the Westin to help with new development in the area. Further, the lot is so small, a parking garage would be next to impossible. Similarly, while not directly on the River, the same issue is observed with the Cambria Hotel not far down the road -lot is very small and developers of this project have stated it is impossible to put in a garage.

Thinking on the Cambria Hotel in lieu of the Canopy, similar issues might be seen once the Cambria Hotel starts construction, unfortunately. But the lot at the Canopy is really something special.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 1:18 PM
JACKinBeantown

The only way they could incorporate parking onto such a small lot would be to do something like this:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7270...7i13312!8i6656

It requires waiting for your car though.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
The only way they could incorporate parking onto such a small lot would be to do something like this:

That's still not possible- only if it's just parking, though. You got another building on top to consider.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 4:06 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:

I can't find the link right now, but the original proposal for the Floodgate building next door was supposed to have a car elevator for residents. Not sure if that's the case with the new design (or if that project if even alive).

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 8:41 PM
Registered User?

A garage between the first floor and the rest of the building could work. Something like this: https://www.google.com/maps/@29.5892...7i13312!8i6656

It would add more height, not sure about aesthetics though.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSK18 View Post
A garage between the first floor and the rest of the building could work. Something like this: https://www.google.com/maps/@29.5892...7i13312!8i6656

It would add more height, not sure about aesthetics though.
It wouldn't work. The really nice part is on the River. The new Hilton garden hotel downtown has, I think, one level of parking, so that's an example of how it would throw off everything.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 1:47 AM
Registered User?

Quote:
It wouldn't work. The really nice part is on the River. The new Hilton garden hotel downtown has, I think, one level of parking, so that's an example of how it would throw off everything.
Didn't even consider that aspect, but I do tend to pay more attention to project statistics than the finer details.
I would, however, like to see better use of downtown space than random eyesores like parking garages. Placing parking underground is nice, but I'd really like to see more elegant applications of building-on-garage construction.

Last edited by TSK18; Mar 21, 2018 at 4:48 AM. Reason: wording revision

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 1:30 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
That's still not possible- only if it's just parking, though. You got another building on top to consider.
I just meant some sort of car elevator system incorporated into the building, not necessarily exactly like the one in the link. Something more like this:

http://automobileelevator.com//wp-co...t-elevator.jpg

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 6:22 PM

Quote:
I just meant some sort of car elevator system incorporated into the building, not necessarily exactly like the one in the link. Something more like this:

http://automobileelevator.com//wp-co...t-elevator.jpg
Well, the biggest issue was no room from one way in and one way out. The staircase alone is half the building.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio