HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted May 31, 2008, 3:48 PM

There was a Global BC news story about Kelowna's building boom on last night.

They mentioned there were 12 proposals in front of council as we speak for highrises - with some proposals containing up to 5 towers.

Very impressive for a city of Kelowna's size.

The NIMBYism on the other hand was pathetic.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2008, 4:36 AM
Sebastian

hey, I got your photos, now be grateful.

here

Old Posted Jun 3, 2008, 5:58 PM
BANNED

pretty nice!

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 5:15 PM

When is the new bridge supposed to be finished? I will be in Kelowna and Vernon for the Canada Day weekend and it would be cool if the new bridge were open.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 5:45 PM
Registered Luser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
There was a Global BC news story about Kelowna's building boom on last night.

They mentioned there were 12 proposals in front of council as we speak for highrises - with some proposals containing up to 5 towers.

Very impressive for a city of Kelowna's size.

The NIMBYism on the other hand was pathetic.
That's great news for dealing with the lack of affordable housing and the grotesque sprawl that has gripped Kelowna for years. I know the much maligned ALR will probably help push council in the direction of densification, at least in some areas. They can't continue to say "no" to every project that comes across their desks, and it keeps the NIMBYs off balance trying to find the energy and the justification to kill every proposed development.

In regards to the bridge, technically the bridge itself was completed last week, but the roadwork approaches on both sides of the lake still required finishing work. When I left Kelowna on Friday last week, westbound traffic was traveling over the new bridge while eastbound traffic was still using the old bridge. Paving on the west approach was supposed to be finished last Monday and the new bridge opened to traffic in both directions.

Local news was reporting that the west transition span is expected to be removed by Canada Day, meaning boat traffic will then be able to transit under the new bridge.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 6:37 PM
Sebastian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyc View Post
When is the new bridge supposed to be finished? I will be in Kelowna and Vernon for the Canada Day weekend and it would be cool if the new bridge were open.
All five lanes are open as of today. it was officially opened last sunday.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 11:39 PM
Registered Luser

It was reportedly going to be fully open Monday, but I spoke to my mom today and she said they just finished paving.

A pano of the bridge I took last week:

Last edited by clooless; Jun 5, 2008 at 1:29 AM.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 11:48 PM
Sebastian

nice. speaking of panos, I put mine up in the photo thread if you want to check them out.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 11:57 PM
Registered Luser

Which thread is that? *dunce cap firmly on*

I saw your panos of the Westside and Mission. Very nice. Are those what you are referring to?

Old Posted Jun 5, 2008, 5:51 AM
Sebastian

ya, the link I posted at the top. they weren't uploading before, so that's what the delay was.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2008, 7:53 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

PREMIER AND BENNETT OPEN WILLIAM R. BENNETT BRIDGE

KELOWNA – On July 19, 1958, crowds gathered to witness the official opening of a new bridge spanning Okanagan Lake, built to serve as a critical transportation link in the Okanagan. When it opened, the Okanagan Lake Bridge was one of only three floating concrete bridges in the world, and the first of its kind in Canada.

Almost 50 years after Princess Margaret and Premier W.A.C. Bennett cut the ribbon and opened that bridge, Premier Gordon Campbell and former premier William (Bill) R. Bennett used the same scissors to cut the ribbon and officially open the new William R. Bennett Bridge.

Premier Campbell and Mr. Bennett were joined in today's official opening by Minister of Transportation Kevin Falcon, Kelowna Mayor Sharon Shepherd, Westside Mayor Rosalind Neis, Westbank First Nation Chief Robert Louie and MLAs Sindi Hawkins, Rick Thorpe and Al Horning.

“I am honoured to join former Premier Bennett to open this bridge – which is named to acknowledge his contributions to our province – 50 years after his father opened the original bridge,” said Premier Campbell. “This new five-lane bridge, built as an innovative public-private partnership, was completed 108 days ahead of schedule and includes an elevated span for marine traffic as well as a lane for cyclists and pedestrians. It will be a key transportation link between Kelowna and Westbank, and will improve safety, stimulate economic growth and reduce congestion in this busy corridor.”

“This is a historic day for the people of the Okanagan and all British Columbians and I’m honoured to have my name attached to such a great project,” said Mr. Bennett. “British Columbia has always been a place where big dreams come true and big accomplishments are achieved and I want to congratulate everyone involved in this project.”

The $144.5-million bridge opens to westbound traffic at midnight on May 25, 108 days ahead of the original scheduled opening in September 2008. In spring 2005, SNC-Lavalin Inc. was chosen to design, build, finance, and operate the bridge under a 30-year contract. During that period, government will save over $25 million in construction, financing, maintenance and rehabilitation costs than if the bridge was built by traditional methods. The corridor is the busiest in B.C. outside the Lower Mainland, accommodating an average of over 50,000 vehicles per day, and that figure is predicted to grow to close to 70,000 by 2017.

“This is a world-class floating bridge – one of only nine of its kind in the world – and I’m proud to say it was delivered on budget and ahead of schedule,” said Falcon. “This new bridge is great for this growing region and an excellent deal for taxpayers as yet another example of a public-private partnership model that outperformed expectations.”

Other key features of the William R. Bennett Bridge include:

· Six floating pontoons, weighing 7,000 tonnes each.

· Three smaller pontoons, weighing 3,000 to 4,000 tonnes each.

· 2,200 tonnes of structural steelwork.

· 25,000 cubic metres of concrete.

· 24 anchors, weighing 75 tonnes, to hold pontoons in place.

· 15,000 cubic metres of Styrofoam fill at the west end of project.

“We are not only bridging our communities in concrete and steel, we are cementing our strengths and our relationships,” said Shepherd. “The new William R. Bennett Bridge is a striking symbol of our partnerships within government and the communities of Kelowna, the Westside, and all those in our Central Okanagan Region. Kelowna’s $25-million investment is a critical piece in the road network. Without changes to the east approach we wouldn’t have been able to maximize the new five-lane bridge.”

“It has taken the collaboration of municipal, provincial and first nation governments to make this project successful and all should be congratulated for their contributions,” said Chief Robert Louie. “The William R. Bennett Bridge and the associated improvements on both the west and east side are models for how governments can work together to ensure all communities benefit.”

“The William R. Bennett Bridge is a great legacy to our former Premier and will mean easy access for businesses, residents and visitors to the Okanagan, thanks to the dedication of everyone who has been involved with the creation and construction of the new bridge,” said Neis. “We encourage everyone to come and explore the District of Westside.”

Members of the Bennett family, as well as representatives from the City of Kelowna, the Westbank First Nation and the District of Westside joined the Province for the official opening. After dignitaries gathered to officially cut the ribbon, the public was invited to join Premier Campbell, Mr. Bennett and Minister Falcon in a parade across the new bridge. Helping lead the way were 36 Famous Firsts, chosen by the local communities to be the first to cross the bridge in various categories, including the first pedestrians, cyclists, 2008 vehicles, vintage vehicles, wheelchairs, and motorcycles.

“This bridge is a great success thanks to the outstanding efforts of the hard-working crews and an innovative partnership bringing this much-needed infrastructure improvement to completion ahead of schedule,” said Okanagan-Westside MLA Rick Thorpe. “I have been a part of many milestones in this project and I am proud to see it open to residents and serving our communities.”

“I have been raising the issue of needing a new bridge across Lake Okanagan since 1996 when I was first elected,” said Kelowna-Mission MLA Sindi Hawkins. “I am pleased to see that 12 years later we are officially opening it, enabling a smoother flow of traffic for motorists, cyclists and pedestrians through this central corridor.”

“I am happy for both visitors and residents that we have been able to accomplish such a major undertaking so effectively,” said Kelowna-Lake Country MLA Al Horning. “The increased capacity of the William R. Bennett Bridge will stimulate local economies and serves as a monument to all the people who have worked to make this a reality.”

In addition to the official bridge opening ceremony with the Province of British Columbia, the May 25 Bridging Communities celebration featured entertainment by local talent, family activities, heritage and bridge displays and an evening Parade of Light, and a Parade of Boats, culminating in a spectacular fireworks display at 10 p.m.

For more information about the William R. Bennett Bridge, visit www.th.gov.bc.ca/WilliamRBennettBridge.

so whats the status on te OLD BRIDGE....when does demo start and how long is that expected to take? is SNC doing that as part of their contract?

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Jun 13, 2008, 7:58 AM

also is the New Bridge Lane Configuration switchable like the Lions Gate....?

3 lanes outbound and 2 lanes inbound or Vice Versa or 2 and 2 with Emergency Vehicles using one lane...?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2008, 12:27 PM
Registered Luser

Not as constructed as a concrete median separates the lanes of traffic.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2008, 5:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clooless View Post
Not as constructed as a concrete median separates the lanes of traffic.
ah ic so the current configuration is 3 lanes outbound and 2 lanes inbound.

nice can`t wait to scope this puppy out.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2008, 8:30 AM
Sebastian

they're dismantling the old bridge now. they were supposed to take down the lift span today, but it was too windy, so they'll try again either tomorrow or monday.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2008, 10:01 AM

Sinking old Kelowna bridge pontoons is 'ludicrous,' environmentalists say
Last Updated: Friday, June 13, 2008 | 5:44 PM ET Comments30Recommend24
CBC News
The old floating bridge in Kelowna rested on 12 air-filled concrete pontoons.The old floating bridge in Kelowna rested on 12 air-filled concrete pontoons. (CBC)

Plans to sink the concrete remains of the old floating bridge in Kelowna are raising concerns amongst environmentalists.

The Kelowna landmark that spanned Okanagan Lake for a half century is now being dismantled after it was replaced by a new floating bridge three weeks ago.

Already crews have begun removing the steel spans so sailboats can ply the lake freely. But while the steel is being recycled, B.C.'s Ministry of Transportation is floating plans to sink the old concrete pontoons.

The 50-year-old bridge floated on 12 air-filled concrete pontoons, 10 of which were 60 metres long. An 81-metre-long steel lift span could be raised to provide about 18 metres of vertical clearance for boats to pass under.

"From the project's point of view the best thing to do with the pontoons is to sink them in the lake," according to project director Jon Buckle with B.C.'s Ministry of Transportation.

But environmentalists don't see that as a very environmentally intelligent solution.

"We think that is an absolutely ludicrous thing to do," said Lloyd Manchester, a director with the Canadian Earthcare Society. "The pontoons should be pulled out of the lake and recycled."

There is a plant in Kelowna that can recycle the thousands of tonnes of concrete used to make the pontoons, according to Manchester.

B.C.'s Ministry of Environment is taking public comments on the plan to sink the old bridge until June 30.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-col...s-sinking.html

Old Posted Jun 14, 2008, 6:22 PM
Project manger

I dont understand why the old bridge isnt being left u . Use one for in trafic and the other for out. That would be GREAT pre planning for growth, wouldnt it?

Old Posted Jun 14, 2008, 7:44 PM
Registered Luser

Actually, that would be a very poor idea. The new bridge was built using new materials and new engineering techniques that are expected to significantly increase the longevity of the new bridge while requiring little maintenance. The main rationale for building the new bridge was that maintaining the old bridge was not cost effective.

In terms of growth, the plan is to build another bridge to the north that would feed into the already partly constructed bypass route as Highway 97 is already at capacity through the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodnorth View Post
ah ic so the current configuration is 3 lanes outbound and 2 lanes inbound.

nice can`t wait to scope this puppy out.
Did you see the pano I posted above? It's a lovely bridge, if a bit utilitarian looking.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2008, 3:30 AM
be nice to the crackheads

I'll make a very comprehensive photo thread of it in a little over a week. I'll be back in K-town on the 25th of June.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2008, 6:34 AM
Sebastian

yeah, sorry, I'm just really lazy.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia