HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 18, 2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
I agree the price has nothing to do with what they'll eventually do here. At any given moment I'm sure they have any number of projects they could move forward on and they'll continue to pick what looks to be the best deal for them. Even if they paid nothing for it, if their data told them the walnut street theatre lot was the best property to build on, I'm sure they'd build on it.

But that's not really what citywide is saying. He's not talking about eventually, he's talking about right now and I do think the price tells us something about that. A huge price for the lot would indicate that they probably plan to proceed on a project immediately. Why make what seems like an overpay to speculate on a lot if you're not even planning to develop it immediately and you already have better options that you would forego building on to build on this new lot? A high price definitely correlates with more immediate development.

The lower price doesn't mean they won't build something significant in the future, but I do think it means it's less likely they do anything at all in the near future other than operate a parking lot.
Yeah, that's true. I think price can be an indicator of immediacy of development (though people sit on land that is much more expensive too). Here, I guess I was confused as we know nothing is in the works or to expect anything soon because they said so. I guess not everyone has access to the article and the OP didn't summarize.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2019, 6:47 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^^^
This is a very good size lot and the location is great in that it kind of is between Old City and City Hall. Parkway should go big here with mixed-use. Maybe pitch to Jefferson University for whatever need they may have with office space/lab/classroom/etc and put a hotel, and apartment, or even condo above it.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 3:00 PM

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
20 floors is nothing to scoff at, though that really doesn’t give us an accurate height of the building until we know its use. That could be anywhere from 200’-300’.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
I agree the price has nothing to do with what they'll eventually do here. At any given moment I'm sure they have any number of projects they could move forward on and they'll continue to pick what looks to be the best deal for them. Even if they paid nothing for it, if their data told them the walnut street theatre lot was the best property to build on, I'm sure they'd build on it.

But that's not really what citywide is saying. He's not talking about eventually, he's talking about right now and I do think the price tells us something about that. A huge price for the lot would indicate that they probably plan to proceed on a project immediately. Why make what seems like an overpay to speculate on a lot if you're not even planning to develop it immediately and you already have better options that you would forego building on to build on this new lot? A high price definitely correlates with more immediate development.

The lower price doesn't mean they won't build something significant in the future, but I do think it means it's less likely they do anything at all in the near future other than operate a parking lot.
Well said. Thanks! Anyways its all just idle speculation until whenever Parkway does something. If the seller was Walnut St. Theater I don't understand why they would sell for what seems to be a low price. That area seems to be ready to pop, considering the recently announced projects.

Does this type of sale quickly change the properties value in terms of the City real estate tax? It certainly sets a market based price, and I'm betting the present taxes are based on something MUCH lower then $7.5M

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
Well said. Thanks! Anyways its all just idle speculation until whenever Parkway does something. If the seller was Walnut St. Theater I don't understand why they would sell for what seems to be a low price. That area seems to be ready to pop, considering the recently announced projects.

Does this type of sale quickly change the properties value in terms of the City real estate tax? It certainly sets a market based price, and I'm betting the present taxes are based on something MUCH lower then $7.5M
While we are idly speculating on the low price, maybe parkway agreed to maintain the status quo while walnut Street continues fund raising and eventually building their addition. Not sure where precisely the addition is planned but being boxed in by a skyscraper next door could perhaps cause things to move slower and increase costs.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 7:53 PM

This got past us (at least I think it did). In last year’s census estimates, Center City was declared the most densely populated downtown outside of NYC!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cent...medium=ios_app

Has this always been the case or is this new?

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 1:14 AM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
This got past us (at least I think it did). In last year’s census estimates, Center City was declared the most densely populated downtown outside of NYC!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cent...medium=ios_app

Has this always been the case or is this new?
Densely populated or just by raw numbers? By the latter score I'd believe it because that's been the case for probably decades if not longer. Center City just like Manhattan has always had a large residential component. I can believe there are more people per square mile in only a handful of other US downtowns.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 1:38 PM

The source is not referring to density and not actually to Center City.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 6:14 PM

How one defines what is center city would effect density. Some are now saying CC is Spring Garden south to Washington Ave; others would say something about half that size. But river to river seems acceptable to everybody.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 6:20 PM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

Is Philadelphia ready for a big red skyscraper at Schuylkill Yards?

I will say hell yes. At 512 feet too?

PAU Architects

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 6:42 PM

the market street side of East Market is a mess aside from the planters. The finished product in terms of the streetscape is disappointing, not enough planters and benches everywhere that allow people to sleep and loiter outside of TJ Maxx and Wawa- I have no idea what they were thinking with these little benches- who wants to sit near the curb on Marker Street?? No one who isn't high. The wawa corner is terrible and the benches are making it worse.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volguus zildrohar View Post
I will say hell yes. At 512 feet too?
Fantastic. Love the Phillies red.

I always lamented that we didn't have more imagination with color - imagine the Walt Whitman Bridge in a bright, playful Phillies red - instead of the death hospital green that some unimaginative bureaucrat is having repainted at present.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 6:52 PM

not a lot of people, but good news regardless

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel..._news_headline

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
Fantastic. Love the Phillies red.

I always lamented that we didn't have more imagination with color - imagine the Walt Whitman Bridge in a bright, playful Phillies red - instead of the death hospital green that some unimaginative bureaucrat is having repainted at present.
Can somebody give me the gist? I hit the paywall and my usual antics of getting around it aren't working.

Is it for Spark specifically? That would make sense given that I believe the columns on the old Bulletin Building will be red after the remodel.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
Can somebody give me the gist? I hit the paywall and my usual antics of getting around it aren't working.

Is it for Spark specifically? That would make sense given that I believe the columns on the old Bulletin Building will be red after the remodel.
Doesn't mention Spark specifically, but states the plans with be submitted to CDR in September, and BRT CEO Jerry Sweeney felt the new towers needed to be different and unique to attract creative firms (and basically stand out from CC or the Navy Yard)--needed to "offer something with more local personality."

Total budget for JFK East and West, is $800 million.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 11:52 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^^
I'm confused now. I thought it was mentioned that Sparks was going into the renovated Bulletin Bldg.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 1:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
^^
I'm confused now. I thought it was mentioned that Sparks was going into the renovated Bulletin Bldg.
They are. I'm just speculating that they might be taking additional space in this new tower because perhaps they suspect they will need it by the time it is done (as they are growing quickly).

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 1:23 AM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
They are. I'm just speculating that they might be taking additional space in this new tower because perhaps they suspect they will need it by the time it is done (as they are growing quickly).
ok, gotcha...thx.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 1:28 AM

So to recap, it looks like Philly will now have 3 - 500ft+ tall towers going up at the same time, in 3 different areas of Center City -- a good day.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations