HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Nov 8, 2006, 5:33 PM
DET->CLT->DC

More generally tasteful, glassy buidlings like Greektown in Detroit are sorely needed...

Old Posted Nov 11, 2006, 6:13 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileyBoy

This building is so atrocious, it makes me want to cry.
I disagree. That building is awesome.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2006, 6:20 AM
devout Pizzatarian

^ yes, the ruvin proposal in milwaukee is spectacular (even though it's under 300' and doesn't really belong in this thread). it's the most interesting highrise project on the drawing boards in any midwestern city outside of chicago at the current moment. if anyone can think of a cooler midwestern highrise proposal, please let me know.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Nov 11, 2006 at 5:55 PM.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2006, 7:06 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Yeah, I couldn't see how people were calling it ugly. It's easily one of the most creative designs coming out of the Midwest, at the moment. This is the kind of stuff you see going up in Europe, at the moment, whose attempts at moving past post modernism has been largely successful, IMO.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2006, 9:03 AM

Yeah the Milwaukee building looks alright. Actually the rendering looks kind of ugly, but i can see the building looking nice in reality.

Although, as far as European architecture goes, most of the new stuff they are building isn't all that attractive IMO.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2006, 6:14 PM
Closed account

It might be considered chic, but it aint pretty. And neither is Greektown.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2006, 6:39 PM

^ I do understand what you mean by that. One of my instructors in architecture school in reguards to similar facades like this would say "everybody is doing this type of thing, it's really in style." Such a statement worries me, because architecture should never be "in style" Architecture being a fad is far worse. The reasons should be backed up somehow. I think what bothers people the most about these types of buildings is the facade as a wrapper. To many it cheapens the look of the building because in past architecture, the facade was an expression of order and construction of the building. I do in some instances find this building to have a cheaper look to it, but I can see what the architects are trying to get at, and do believe this design has some high value. I just hope that it won't have the ugly colored gray panels I see on it. As far as Greektown goes, I think it's pretty good. The brick base is a gesture towards the materials used on the surrounding buildings. The blue glass tower will be a welcome addition since many of the surrounding towers are ugly concrete.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2006, 11:35 PM

Cincinnati - Queen City Square II - 689'/37 floors

As a Cincinnati native, I really think this building is stunning. It will really make a beautiful enhancement to the skyline. (Although I'm curious about why they didn't just make it an even 700'. But hey, it's taller than Carew Tower. )

A couple of questions...if anyone knows:

- Is this a definite thing? Is there a date for groundbreaking?

- Who is the architect? I'd love to check out their website.

Thanks.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2006, 7:37 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondson
Cincinnati - Queen City Square II - 689'/37 floors

As a Cincinnati native, I really think this building is stunning. It will really make a beautiful enhancement to the skyline. (Although I'm curious about why they didn't just make it an even 700'. But hey, it's taller than Carew Tower. )

A couple of questions...if anyone knows:

- Is this a definite thing? Is there a date for groundbreaking?

- Who is the architect? I'd love to check out their website.

Thanks.
It has been approved, but they are waiting for a 100% lease rate before they break ground. At least this is what I read in an article a couple months back, and if it is so, then I suppose they are just being very cautious.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2006, 6:34 PM
DET->CLT->DC

=

The building itself isn't bad - its that yucky crown... While I don't deny Cincinnati could use more height - it really could do better than this as a new tallest.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2006, 8:42 PM
JUNCTA JUVANT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-New-Tony-Detroit
=

The building itself isn't bad - its that yucky crown... While I don't deny Cincinnati could use more height - it really could do better than this as a new tallest.
ColDayMan hates the crown ... like I've said a million times and I don't care if this is in St. Louis, Detroit, or Atlanta ... I love this building. I love the building, the crown, it's little brother and the blue-ish grey tinted glass.

Seeing it as a drawing and seeing it in real life is going to be huge. To me, this has an art deco feel and I am glad that they didn't decide to build some kind of modern, cheap, ugly ass skyscraper.

I also like the idea of how the crown will be lit up and the lights blasting out of the top (mentioned early on - see urbanohio.com).

As soon as I get some time, I will try to re-create another realistic angle of the QCS Phase II.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2006, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus
It has been approved, but they are waiting for a 100% lease rate before they break ground. At least this is what I read in an article a couple months back, and if it is so, then I suppose they are just being very cautious.
100% lease rate? How far along are they? It would be a shame to see this project postponed too long while waiting for that to happen. I'm seeing a lot of threads at this site, referencing new buildings that are proposed, or in the process of being built. I wonder if they all attained 100% leases rates as well. Is that standard before starting construction on a building in other cities?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-New-Tony-Detroit
Maybe the crown is something the architect thought would be symbolic of Cincinnati's nickname as the "Queen City". Perhaps if the building itself were taller, with a less obvious crown, you would like it better. Is that what you mean? Or do you not like the style of the building itself? Could you show me what style you think would be better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnatis
ColDayMan hates the crown ... like I've said a million times and I don't care if this is in St. Louis, Detroit, or Atlanta ... I love this building. I love the building, the crown, it's little brother and the blue-ish grey tinted glass.

Seeing it as a drawing and seeing it in real life is going to be huge. To me, this has an art deco feel and I am glad that they didn't decide to build some kind of modern, cheap, ugly ass skyscraper.

I also like the idea of how the crown will be lit up and the lights blasting out of the top (mentioned early on - see urbanohio.com).

As soon as I get some time, I will try to re-create another realistic angle of the QCS Phase II.
Who is ColDayMan? If the building was approved, does that mean the size of the project itself, or the design? Could the design still change? Would ColDayMan have something to do with that?

I agree with your thought regarding the materials to be used on the facade. I like the art deco appearance. Of course, I'm a HUGE fan of anything art deco. This building reminds me of the design of Carew Tower. Maybe that's what the architect had in mind - to evoke a sense of history mixed with the modern. Kinda like the new tallest will be reminiscent of the old tallest. Interesting concept.

Thanks for the information, guys. I really hope this goes up soon.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2006, 10:27 PM
JUNCTA JUVANT

ColDayMan is like Jesus, except he wasn't sent by God.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2006, 1:40 AM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Quote:
100% lease rate? How far along are they? It would be a shame to see this project postponed too long while waiting for that to happen. I'm seeing a lot of threads at this site, referencing new buildings that are proposed, or in the process of being built. I wonder if they all attained 100% leases rates as well. Is that standard before starting construction on a building in other cities?

Maybe the crown is something the architect thought would be symbolic of Cincinnati's nickname as the "Queen City". Perhaps if the building itself were taller, with a less obvious crown, you would like it better. Is that what you mean? Or do you not like the style of the building itself? Could you show me what style you think would be better?

Who is ColDayMan? If the building was approved, does that mean the size of the project itself, or the design? Could the design still change? Would ColDayMan have something to do with that?

I agree with your thought regarding the materials to be used on the facade. I like the art deco appearance. Of course, I'm a HUGE fan of anything art deco. This building reminds me of the design of Carew Tower. Maybe that's what the architect had in mind - to evoke a sense of history mixed with the modern. Kinda like the new tallest will be reminiscent of the old tallest. Interesting concept.

Thanks for the information, guys. I really hope this goes up soon.
I basically invented Cincinnati for SSP.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2006, 5:40 AM

Not sure I understand. Are you a developer? Architect? Are you involved in building skyscrapers? What are your thoughts about this building for Cincinnati? Cincinnatis said you hate the crown. How come? I'd be interested in hearing what you think would work better for the site.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2006, 5:47 AM
JFDinJax, founded c.1998

That building looks like Don King

Old Posted Nov 13, 2006, 4:30 PM
You had me at herro...

Quote:
Not sure I understand. Are you a developer? Architect? Are you involved in building skyscrapers? What are your thoughts about this building for Cincinnati? Cincinnatis said you hate the crown. How come? I'd be interested in hearing what you think would work better for the site.
FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!!!!

I personally like the crown a lot.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2006, 5:09 PM
Architecture/Engineering

The Minneapolis Ivy Hotel + Residences is starting to climb fast. Photo courtesy of MidwestProduct from Minnescraper.

Last edited by Avian001; Nov 13, 2006 at 10:58 PM.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2006, 5:54 PM
DET->CLT->DC

Quote:
We are about to witness history unfold my friends. The weather forcast is calling for carnage ColDayStyle.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2006, 6:44 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Quote:
Architect? I invented architecture.

Involved with building skyscrapers? I let the peasants do that.

Thoughts about this building? I think it's a gigantic jukebox that is a mixture of Rosie from The Jetsons and Pee Wee's Playhouse's toilet seat. It's trash. Cincinnati should've atleast built the giant "Heroin Needle" in Newport.

The crown? What crown? It's an elongated St. Louis Arch, filled in with Photoshop CS2, stretched in SketchUp, and plopped over a blue-shaded Chemed Center. It's bad. How can you like it? And THEN over the Convergys/Atrium towers...tsk tsk.

What would work better? Perhaps a glass structure about 500ish that would reflect Mt. Adams' Immaculata Church. Or maybe a giant palm tree with signs saying "Miami, Florida, 1,000 miles." ANYTHING but Robbie the Robot, please.

And on a serious note, if we are going to be building a "tallest" in Cincinnati, atLEAST put it on 5th and Race Street.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest