HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 2:55 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
^ Let me educate you. Here, the people are more free. Freedom to maximize profits = more skyscrapers.

Freedom creates skylines like NYC, LA, Chicago, Houston, Philly, Miami, etc. Canada has Vancouver and Toronto.

Lesson over.
Huh?

That makes no sense. Toronto and Vancouver have way the hell more highrises than Houston and LA

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
^ Let me educate you. Here, the people are more free. Freedom to maximize profits = more skyscrapers.

Freedom creates skylines like NYC, LA, Chicago, Houston, Philly, Miami, etc. Canada has Vancouver and Toronto.

Lesson over.
Yes. "Free" Houston with its 1.33 parking spaces per bedroom requirement. Though that regulation is loosened some for efficiencies, which only need 1.25 parking spaces per unit.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 5:23 PM

Just wanted to drop a quick note, forgot to do so earlier.
The new LED lighting, at least on Belmont, is just horrible. The lights are too high, far too much glare. Everything looks washed out and grey. I thought the areas with the new lights immediately looked run down, dirty, even "scary" the way trash strewn urban streets were shown in 80s movies.

I have seen beautiful warm glare free LED lighting. I don't know who's choosing these lights, but they don't have a damn clue as to what they're doing.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 6:14 PM

I dunno, they did my entire quadrant of Little Village and East of Douglas Park almost immediately after the program started and I don't even notice the lighting anymore, it just seems more daylightish to me now than bright. I think it's just a "brain getting used to it" thing to a certain extent.

Oh and the most noticeable thing from inside the building is that it looks darker outside from the building than it used to. Before there used to be a "glow" in the apartments when the lights were out, now it seems basically black if the lights are off.

I do think they attract more bugs than the older lamps, I've noticed that the ones I installed on the back of my buildings attract huge swarms of bugs sometimes. The tenants actually bought one of those bug zapper lamps there were so many this summer. Has anyone else noticed this with LED?

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 7:18 PM

Question for all knowledgeable folks around here.

My 9 unit condo building HOA has been receiving letters of interest from developers wanting to deconvert back to apartments. The building is about a block and a half from a CTA station in an area experiencing rapid new construction and deconversion. Zoned RS-3. Building is an “avenue apartment” style 3.5 stories at over 100 y/o and totally gutted to the shell and renovated a few years ago.

1. How common is this in Chicago?
2. Is there a formula for minimum asking price per unit
3. How common are leasebacks?

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 7:35 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzo View Post
Question for all knowledgeable folks around here.

My 9 unit condo building HOA has been receiving letters of interest from developers wanting to deconvert back to apartments. The building is about a block and a half from a CTA station in an area experiencing rapid new construction and deconversion. Zoned RS-3. Building is an “avenue apartment” style 3.5 stories at over 100 y/o and totally gutted to the shell and renovated a few years ago.

1. Very common nowadays
2. Depends on market rents, interest rates, whether units need to be remodeled, etc
3. Very common. You can probably even negotiate a leaseback of a minimal amount of time with the seller as a part of the sale

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
Just wanted to drop a quick note, forgot to do so earlier.
The new LED lighting, at least on Belmont, is just horrible. The lights are too high, far too much glare. Everything looks washed out and grey. I thought the areas with the new lights immediately looked run down, dirty, even "scary" the way trash strewn urban streets were shown in 80s movies.

I have seen beautiful warm glare free LED lighting. I don't know who's choosing these lights, but they don't have a damn clue as to what they're doing.

Interesting, the lighting on Foster is fantastic. So much cleaner and clearer. Makes riding a bike at night a lot more comfortable.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 2:44 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
More common than it used to be. I wouldn't say it's super-common, though.

Condo associations that do this tend to be associations with a low rate of owner-occupancy, or where assessments are unusually high. Both of those things put downward pressure on sales value. Low owner-occupancy can limit certain kinds of mortgages, especially Federally-backed ones, and also tend to be less popular with people who actually want to live in the unit because part of the allure of a condo over an apartment is generally having more mature neighbors who are less likely to be noisy or otherwise obnoxious (not that there aren't obnoxious condo owners, it's just that there are more obnoxious renters in most cases).

I rented a condo unit in 159 W Goethe, a vintage building in Old Town, for a couple years starting in 1999. By coincidence, the exact unit I'd rented ended up being used as a comp (comparable) for the appraisal when I bought my current condo. Several years ago it was in the press that the condo association at 159 W Goethe sold out to be converted to apartments. At the time, the articles said that it was sold because over half of the units were not owner-occupied. The price paid seemed low, but based on my experience living there, it probably required a fair bit of renovation by the developer. If someone had just moved in, I'm sure they'd have been really irritated, but hopefully the developer would, at the very least, make them whole even if it meant paying them a bit more than other owners. Legally, though, I don't think they're required to as long as 75% of owners vote to sell en masse. Pricing, though, is just like any other real estate deal, in that it's negotiable. An association could be willing to sell in principle, but unable to negotiate a price good enough that 75% will take it. In the case of 159 W Goethe, a lot of the owners had bought in the mid-1990s when prices were as low as 1/3 of what their offer was, so even though individual owners might have made a little more selling on their own, the fact that so many were investment units at that point and they'd mostly bought in at a very low price anyway, made it easier for the developer to get the needed votes.

Sometimes investors who want to own a bunch of condos will take a long view, too, and just start buying individual units until they control enough votes to swing a sale of the rest. Or they can make it impossible for other owners to vote to sell to another developer, if the investor wants to keep them. That sort of move can be very controversial and anger other owners, though, and can provoke lawsuits, such as for 540 N Lake Shore Drive.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 3:09 PM

Thanks for the info. In our case, 8/9 units are owner-occupied. The units have always been purchased at or above asking and no unit remained on the market more than 2 days. HOA dues are $120-160, reserves are well funded and most everything is new.

I just though it was strange we are getting inquires since our building is unlike the reasons emathias mentioned.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 3:40 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
I just though it was strange we are getting inquires since our building is unlike the reasons emathias mentioned.
It costs an investor next to nothing to inquire, so it's probably just a fishing expedition. Sometimes public information doesn't tell the whole story so they figure it can't hurt to ask. Even if your association didn't sell, it could prompt an owner of other properties to maybe consider it for other associations they own in.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 3:41 PM
The City

There are small condo buildings like yours that are actually marketing themselves as conversions. There is one that I was aware of a few months ago in the Humboldt Park area, I believe. Probably 2/3 of the units were owner occupied and many of the owners were interested in a leaseback.

One of the reasons this is appealing is that owners tend to take better care of their places than renters. So you can buy into a building that is otherwise well maintained and probably doesn't need any money put into a rehab. All that really needs to get done is a bunch of legal maneuvering to convert back to a rental, which includes combining all of the PINs which usually reduces the property taxes.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 6:58 PM
BANNED

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 2:45 PM

Art on the Mart is cool, but I was just down there last night and it was dark... What days and hours is it supposed to be operating?

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 2:56 PM

We’re #3: Has the DC-Baltimore region’s population surpassed Chicago’s?
Greater Greater Washington
DEMOGRAPHICS By Payton Chung (Editorial Board) October 4, 20187

Quote:
Greater Washington may already be the country's third-most-populous region, according to new population projections from the Census Bureau. Under the bureau's broadest definition of a metropolitan area, called a "Combined Statistical Area," the Washington-Baltimore area was just shy of the Chicago region as of July 2017. Continued growth here means that this region's population may have recently surpassed Chicago's.

Second City could become fifth

Chicago has long been known as "the second city," a nickname popularized by a snarky book written in 1952 — ironically, just as its 70-year reign as the nation's second most populous city was ending. The exploding population of metro Los Angeles pushed it to third by 1960, where it has remained ever since. Yet slackening international immigration and continuing domestic out-migration from the Midwest have slowed overall population growth.

The new Census estimates put greater Washington's population as of July 1, 2017 at 9,764,315, and Chicagoland's population at 9,901,711. Yet the estimates show Chicagoland's population falling slightly each year since 2014, while greater Washington has added 70,000-80,000 residents per year. If these estimates are correct and if those trends continued, greater Washington's population would have surpassed Chicagoland's in August of 2018.

Chicago could fall further down the league tables by the 2020 Census. The San Francisco Bay Area, known in Census nomenclature as the San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland, CA CSA, was recently expanded to incorporate Modesto and Merced, two cities in the Central Valley that send many commuters into Silicon Valley.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 3:02 PM

I left DC for Chicago and I’d still rather be here even if the DC area is attracting more people. Cost of living is better here (my 2 bed/2 bath top floor condo here cost less than a crappy studio in DC or a boring suburb), I appreciate the setting here along Lake Michigan (I live 2 blocks from Marine Drive/Lincoln Park/Lakefront) as opposed to the Potomac, and the city and it’s skyscrapers feels much larger & vastly more bustling than downtown DC ever will. I enjoyed my 7 years in DC, but my quality of life is much better here than there.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 3:27 PM
The City

^ Well, it's easy to add population by simply adding nearby towns and cities and saying "they are a part of our region now", which is essentially what DC and SF are doing.

Chicago doesn't have any new significant towns to add, unless at some point in the future the Milwaukee region is added as a part of Chicagoland. But that isn't going to happen any time soon.

So don't worry about it. Chicago is still the second city for a lot of reasons that have nothing to do with population. And there are other "second cities" in the US. This debate will go on forever, the only thing that's not debatable is what America's "first city" is.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 3:41 PM
devout Pizzatarian

the CSA is a regional measure.

an interesting and relevant metric for sure, but not the end-all be-all.

the urban area measure is a more accurate way to gauge the size of individual cities (without regard to municipal boundaries) because it looks at the finer-grain census tract level, instead of just mashing entire counties together as the MSA and CSA definitions do.

in terms of urban areas, chicago is still solidly in 3rd place, with a roughly 3 million person lead over 4th place miami (8.6M vs. 5.5M as of 2010).

list of US urban areas: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...es_urban_areas

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 4:50 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Art on the Mart is cool, but I was just down there last night and it was dark... What days and hours is it supposed to be operating?
They do a terrible job of publishing an actual schedule. I have seen reports of either four or five nights a week for ten months out of the year, with it starting "at dusk," which is really annoyingly vague. I think Wednesday through Sunday is the schedule, "at dusk"and running for two hours.

Edit: they finally added days to their website. Still listed as "at dusk" ...
https://www.artonthemart.com

And I think they only run it for two hours, so sunset today is 6:27, so if they start shortly after 6:30, it would only last until 8:30ish.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 3:59 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Aren't the Chicago and Milwaukee CSA's contiguous? If you give us those extra 2 million people, we'll be back in front.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 1:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
Aren't the Chicago and Milwaukee CSA's contiguous? If you give us those extra 2 million people, we'll be back in front.
Milwaukee might not count now, but I can see that changing over the next couple of decades with massive job growth in the 94 corridor. With companies like Foxconn setting up there it might not be long until the metros become more economically linked. Though the key to that would be HSR for a 45 min trip between downtown MKE and Union Station. Any such train would draw massive ridership as I imagine a ton of people working in the Loop may opt to live in downtown Milwaukee where you can get a way higher quality of life for less money.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest