HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 8, 2014, 7:30 AM

The parkade

While parking is required in the area, is no one concerned about the size of a 600 car garage? Lily street has a chance to become a great pedestrian area! It's very important to ensure there is a strong ground level retail or commercial component in this location. No one wants a concrete wasteland.

The garage will be going to public tender. It is not guaranteed to the pump house proponents although they speak as if it is. Not really sure they should have first dibs on 250 stalls. It's a provincial asset and parking should be available to all of the stakeholders of the area equally.

As for Wanda Koop ...

She and her work will be remembered long after we are all gone. She speaks for many in the area. Wanda has been all over the world and has seen and been in many innovative places and spaces. Her voice is very important.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2014, 8:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg Architect View Post
She owns a dumpy warehouse behind Argyle School in Point Douglas.

The old Wiper Building at 72 Henry. She paid $100,000.00 for it.

She is not even close to the Waterfront Area.

Just another typical Winnipeg NIMBY.
as much as I disagree with koop here, you are 100% wrong on her wiper building. it's an amazing remnant of a neighbourhood destroyed for the Disraeli "freeway" and other renewal plans.

my pic.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2014, 5:13 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by urb View Post
Your statement is only partially accurate. You are both uninformed and misinformed on the subject.
Since you either are Ms. Koop or an advocate for her please enlighten us on how someone with a relativity small investment in an area can become the spokesperson and director of what development can and cannot occur.

PS No slight on Ms. Koops actual work she is a fine and highly talented artist, but leave urban planning......

Old Posted Jan 8, 2014, 5:50 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labroco View Post
Lily street has a chance to become a great pedestrian area!
Really?

Lily? Currently it backs into a Hydro Substation, and serves as access to the underground parking for the Sky Condos.

I am not sure that little stretch of "street" has much potential for anything to be honest.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2014, 6:01 PM
surely you agree with me

why would the parkade be a provincial asset?....I doubt it will go to public tender...it will be just like the chipman parkade...hand over the cash.

Ms. Koop favours a park with a reflecting pool and an organic grocer somehow woven around massive industrial machinery.....her arguments are completely unrealistic...she only opposed a tower....she has no great vision for what could be realistically done.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2014, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Since you either are Ms. Koop or an advocate for her please enlighten us on how someone with a relativity small investment in an area can become the spokesperson and director of what development can and cannot occur.

PS No slight on Ms. Koops actual work she is a fine and highly talented artist, but leave urban planning......
I am not her.

I do live in the neighbourhood, have had numerous conversations with her, been inside her national wiper building & know for a fact that the previous statement that I quoted is inaccurate and misinformed for a number of reasons.

I do not think that a third party discussion about her real estate holdings in detail, on a forum is respectful or appropriate. People deserve privacy & I wouldn't want random people discussing where my studio is, my home is, my investment property is, etc…. and that is why I didn't simply correct the previous statement in detail.

Also I DO NOT agree with her stance on how the neighbourhood should be developed, but residents are entitled to organize and have their say.
In previous posts I have essentially stated that the proposed 24 story tower is probably THE BEST THING FOR THE NEIGHBOURHOOD and have been a proponent from the start.

Just felt it was a correction that deserved to be made.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2014, 6:38 PM

Quote:

I do not think that a third party discussion about her real estate holdings in detail, on a forum is respectful or appropriate. People deserve privacy & I wouldn't want random people discussing where my studio is, my home is, my investment property is, etc…. and that is why I didn't simply correct the previous statement in detail.
I'll have to agree/disagree with this point.
She has gone public. Websites, petitions, rallying those to her view/cause, very political, outspoken using the media to further her beliefs on what should/should not have been done.

When you enter this domain a person will be subject to scrutiny, who is this person? What is her expertise on the issue?. What stake does she have in this? Personal? Financial? .etc..

The architects/designers of this project will undergo the same scrutiny, and why not? Are they experienced ,dependable, what projects have they completed in the past ? What stake do they have in the development? Well obviously profit in this case, as it should be.

I will agree she should be respected, as much as any poster on this forum.

Let's end the discussion on her and keep to the proposed project at hand.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2014, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post

Let's end the discussion on her and keep to the proposed project at hand.

Agreed

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 12:56 AM

Pump house

Quote:
Agreed
I am new at this.

I love the imput and dialogue but do believe some have a larger interest in the matter than others. If one lives in Osborne village for example should their voice and opinion be equal to the person next door to the development?

If someone has no investment in the area and another has $10,000,000 is that of consequence? I would say yes.

The parkade land is owned by the province. If they part with it there must be an expression of interest. The size of the project and parkade is overwhelming to many in th area. We just want things to slow down a little to ensure things are thought out. The impact of a mistake are huge!

Thanks...

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 1:15 AM

There are also some who live right next door who are all for this development.

I, for one, have visualized a tall tower coming out of the pumphouse right from the day I moved into Sky in early 2010. I was quite surprised when there were people expecting something different.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypinion View Post

I, for one, have visualized a tall tower coming out of the pumphouse right from the day I moved into Sky in early 2010. I was quite surprised when there were people expecting something different.
I'm moving into District Condos on James next summer. I support the Pumphouse development. I want more life on James - lots of it. I want it to feel like Bamnatyne does with people in the streets, patios etc. And I'd like improved parking.

So this is not my backyard (front actually) today, but it will be tomorrow. It's important for people to understand it is supported by many. We're just hearing the those opposing it right now.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 3:25 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labroco
We just want things to slow down a little to ensure things are thought out. The impact of a mistake are huge!

Thanks...
This city with all its internal fighting and red tape???? Taking our time ???? This area has sat vacant for ever. How much more time would you like? This city needs to clear the slow lane to progress and speed it up.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 3:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypinion View Post

In in sky and I'm all for it. Of course the tower doesn't affect my view, so that's maybe one reason I'm all for it, of course the parking lot wouldn't be much of a view anyway, but anything that can bring people downtown, I'm down with it.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 3:41 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

the slaming of wonda koop needs to stop now.........

people like wonda koop help build what we know as winnipeg via the arts community

ever herd of art city? ...........

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 7:36 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
the slaming of wonda koop needs to stop now.........

people like wonda koop help build what we know as winnipeg via the arts community

ever herd of art city? ...........
No one is slamming the work Ms. Koop has done or what she brings to the arts community.

People can slam her overly sexist remark or her views on the exchange, this is an open forum for discussion or are certain topics or individuals immune?

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 8:40 AM
Transit Nerd

...so just wondering, has anyone noticed increased pedestrian activity around the Chinatown/Logan area since that new mid-rise housing block popped up over the past year or so? I haven't been back around there since Scream 2012 down at Pumpanga... so I wanted to ask.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
...so just wondering, has anyone noticed increased pedestrian activity around the Chinatown/Logan area since that new mid-rise housing block popped up over the past year or so? I haven't been back around there since Scream 2012 down at Pumpanga... so I wanted to ask.
I work in the area I haven't noticed much. The bulldozing of the buildings across the street and the Shanghai Building didn't help much. Maybe once that lot gets developed things will improve. But by then the Public Safety building will be empty, so that will be a drain on the area too.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
doesn't help when its -a gazillion degrees out there either....

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labroco View Post
While parking is required in the area, is no one concerned about the size of a 600 car garage? Lily street has a chance to become a great pedestrian area! It's very important to ensure there is a strong ground level retail or commercial component in this location. No one wants a concrete wasteland.

The garage will be going to public tender. It is not guaranteed to the pump house proponents although they speak as if it is. Not really sure they should have first dibs on 250 stalls. It's a provincial asset and parking should be available to all of the stakeholders of the area equally.

As for Wanda Koop ...

She and her work will be remembered long after we are all gone. She speaks for many in the area. Wanda has been all over the world and has seen and been in many innovative places and spaces. Her voice is very important.
She is no Warhol and her voice is all negative and if she had any money maybe she would put up a few million for the Pump House.

All talk....................blah blah blah

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
This city with all its internal fighting and red tape???? Taking our time ???? This area has sat vacant for ever. How much more time would you like? This city needs to clear the slow lane to progress and speed it up.
It was the same thing with the Eaton's site when it was announced a new arena was to be built there. No one came forward with any alternatives until they found out an arena was to be built. Anyone notice how none of the ideas that came up for the Eaton's building have come up for The Bay? Some people just object to any new buildings because they don't like change or don't like a tall building because it will block sunlight.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan