HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 5:06 PM

The latest announcement for the Shoppes at Galway is "The Dentists at Galway". Not very exciting I know. It is assumed however that the people of Galway will have teeth and will eventually require dental work. lol

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmemeadusjr View Post
The latest announcement for the Shoppes at Galway is "The Dentists at Galway". Not very exciting I know. It is assumed however that the people of Galway will have teeth and will eventually require dental work. lol
... and probably very good teeth :-)

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Hey now, that's just hearsay! Bring that to the development rumors thread.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 12:21 PM

I have to say I'm a bit disappointed in the Shoppes at Galway. I was kind of expecting the layout of the development to be a bit different than Stavanger, Kelsey...

It is exactly the same.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
I have to say I'm a bit disappointed in the Shoppes at Galway. I was kind of expecting the layout of the development to be a bit different than Stavanger, Kelsey...

It is exactly the same.
I agree, Danny said it would resemble Dartmouth Crossing....it certainly does not. Even the fancy lamp posts end at the roundabout and are replaced by the standard St. John's street light poles as you move towards the Shoppes. There are more trees than in other developments, but they will only last if they are planted properly and looked after properly.

In related news, Easy Financial has been added to the Shoppes. We can't get a Five Guys or a Bass Pro, but we can get a 5th Easy Financial. Yay!

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 3:19 PM

Quote:
I agree, Danny said it would resemble Dartmouth Crossing....it certainly does not. Even the fancy lamp posts end at the roundabout and are replaced by the standard St. John's street light poles as you move towards the Shoppes. There are more trees than in other developments, but they will only last if they are planted properly and looked after properly.

In related news, Easy Financial has been added to the Shoppes. We can't get a Five Guys or a Bass Pro, but we can get a 5th Easy Financial. Yay!
I just don't understand why there needs to be so many separate buildings, sprawling parking lots and weird little side roads. Walking between different stores almost isn't an option. And good luck making a left turn out of a parking lot without a traffic light or roundabout. Drives me absolutely crazy.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
I just don't understand why there needs to be so many separate buildings, sprawling parking lots and weird little side roads. Walking between different stores almost isn't an option. And good luck making a left turn out of a parking lot without a traffic light or roundabout. Drives me absolutely crazy.
I've wailed on this before, but St. John's needs to get progressive and have dedicated turnarounds or u-turn intersections like in a lot of bigger cities.
Left turns across 4 or 5 lanes of traffic are not only unsafe, but in the case of single lane outlets, frustrating for those turning right.

Kenmount Road probably the worst, followed by Topsail & Torbay Rds.
Also CBS Highway in Manuels.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjavman View Post
I've wailed on this before, but St. John's needs to get progressive and have dedicated turnarounds or u-turn intersections like in a lot of bigger cities.
Left turns across 4 or 5 lanes of traffic are not only unsafe, but in the case of single lane outlets, frustrating for those turning right.

Kenmount Road probably the worst, followed by Topsail & Torbay Rds.
Also CBS Highway in Manuels.
I just don’t get why you can’t have just one, or a few large parking lots, and combine all the buildings to result in less land used, and make it easier to walk between all stores. In other words, a shopping mall. Where is the logic behind this type of land use? Why does the City continue to allow it?

Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 5:02 PM

Scotiabank and Tim Horton's are now completely framed up and ready for cladding and windows. I'm guessing a December opening for both. I'm thinking October for Urban Shoes and November for Starbucks. (As I said....all guesswork....judging by what's completed)

Last edited by wmemeadusjr; Sep 24, 2019 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Pics

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Scotiabank and Tim Horton's are now completely framed up and ready for cladding and windows. I'm guessing a December opening for both. I'm thinking October for Urban Shoes and November for Starbucks. (As I said....all guesswork....judging by what's completed)
Maybe I missed it in an earlier message but where's the Starbucks going in Galway?

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabethf1985 View Post
Maybe I missed it in an earlier message but where's the Starbucks going in Galway?
It's across from the Costco gas bar.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 7:39 PM

When is the new princess auto suppose to open?

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nltownie View Post
When is the new princess auto suppose to open?
According to this article....September

https://vocm.com/2019/07/06/princess...ing-to-galway/

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 8:08 PM

From Paul Lane via Facebook:

Paul Lane
Conversation Starter · 3 hrs
Update re Southlands Boulevard
As you know, earlier this summer I contacted the City on behalf of residents and was told that the connection to Galway at the top of Southlands Blvd was tentatively scheduled to occur this fall. As I have seen no activity since that time, I contacted the City again today and was disappointed to learn that due to a number of delays with the developers, it WILL NOT be happening until sometime next construction season.

Here are the details on the Southland Blvd connection to Galway as posted in the comments:

http://www.stjohns.ca/sites/default/...mo49MhCZ1vpu7E

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sctttmmy View Post
From Paul Lane via Facebook:

Paul Lane
Conversation Starter · 3 hrs
Update re Southlands Boulevard
As you know, earlier this summer I contacted the City on behalf of residents and was told that the connection to Galway at the top of Southlands Blvd was tentatively scheduled to occur this fall. As I have seen no activity since that time, I contacted the City again today and was disappointed to learn that due to a number of delays with the developers, it WILL NOT be happening until sometime next construction season.

Here are the details on the Southland Blvd connection to Galway as posted in the comments:

http://www.stjohns.ca/sites/default/...mo49MhCZ1vpu7E
So... not until next fall - maybe.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 10:49 AM

What I like about Galway is the underground electrical. Overhead wires have always been a pet peeve of mine. It's an aesthetic mess. What puzzles me is that the developers have gone through great lengths burying the utilities in the Shoppes area, and now NL Power is running a pole line right through the middle of it all. I noticed this last week when I was up there. I just don't understand why they would do this.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 1:20 PM

I can't believe there is still no public transit in Galway (or any concrete plans to introduce it beyond the idea of getting rid of the downtown part of Route 6 and using those service hours).

Old Posted Oct 28, 2019, 10:59 AM

Urban Shoe is now listed as OPENING SOON on the Shoppes website.

Just this morning, it was listed as JUST OPEN. The site was updated this afternoon and changed it back to OPENING SOON.

Last edited by wmemeadusjr; Oct 28, 2019 at 6:08 PM.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 2:04 PM

Quote:
Scotiabank base build isn't scheduled to complete until Dec 1 ish, fitup should be complete by end of January-ish.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkfire View Post
Scotiabank base build isn't scheduled to complete until Dec 1 ish, fitup should be complete by end of January-ish.
The Scotiabank building will house Orangetheory Fitness as well.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's