HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 3:43 PM

With Durrant out and reports regardless of where Dressler signs he is unlikely to play this weekend we might just be able to sneak away with one. We really need to week 1 Bombers to show up and be hungry for this win though. The Bombers next three games are going to really set the tone for the rest of the season.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 4:10 PM

I agree. I don't even think it's the next three games, though... the home and home with Sask will basically define this team's season. These games are the equivalent of a huge 2nd down when you're behind by 6 with 1:45 to go. Going 0-2 essentially relegates the Bombers to also-rans IMO.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Did your read my post you quoted?
I certainly did. My point was, the Bombers designed and paid for a similar billboard (i.e. the exact same thing), a couple of years ago. Not some random radio station 10 years ago.

Pot calling the kettle black, much?

Moving on, though...

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 7:39 PM

^ It actually started long before 2011, prior to the instant media attention days. On the Wheeler and Hal show. But it's all good, see you on Sunday!

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Given the mediocre offensive production that the Bombers have had the past few games, I'm worried that they will be outmatched...
I could say the exact same thing about the Riders. Offensively, they haven't exactly been lighting up the scoreboard as of late. They've been lucky enough to win five straight games, largely on the strength of their defence, but that streak is likely to get snapped at some point without greater production on offense. And it's quite possible our backup QB (Sunseri) may be starting this game, if Durant's hand injury doesn't allow him to participate.

I think the Riders and Bombers may be more evenly matched this time, and anything could happen. The whole game basically comes down to Willy vs. the Riders' defence. Regardless of what happens though, the Labour Day Classic is always a party. I enjoy seeing the Bomber fans who come out each year, they really know how to dress up. See you at Mosaic Stadium on Sunday!

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 1:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I agree. I don't even think it's the next three games, though... the home and home with Sask will basically define this team's season. These games are the equivalent of a huge 2nd down when you're behind by 6 with 1:45 to go. Going 0-2 essentially relegates the Bombers to also-rans IMO.
Aug 31 v Riders
Sept 7 v Riders
Sept 13 v Lions

All are huge games as the Bombers play the Riders and the Lions three times this season. It is likely these three teams racing for third in the west, the east crossover and fifth place overall in the league and an early "bye" to the off-season.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 7:29 PM

Wow, I did not know...

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 8:03 PM
arf

^That totally needs some photoshopping, something about the "high in...low in..." just screams to be altered.

Three huge weeks in the West coming up. Top two teams play back to back, 3 and 4 play back to back and then 3/4 versus 5. Emotions galore for this period. Good times to be a fan in the CFL. Well, if you're in the West anyway.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
^That totally needs some photoshopping, something about the "high in...low in..." just screams to be altered.

Three huge weeks in the West coming up. Top two teams play back to back, 3 and 4 play back to back and then 3/4 versus 5. Emotions galore for this period. Good times to be a fan in the CFL. Well, if you're in the West anyway.
Yeah, I didn't want to say it but I'm glad you did, nothing like rider approved beef jerky on game day ??

Good times comin up, should be fun..

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 8:48 PM

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 9:00 PM

^ Yeah, that's a realistic sign.

I wonder what Rider fans are doing back home right about now....hmmmmm..

Source

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 10:42 PM

lol - that billboard is hilarious

though, last time there was taunting it came back and bit bomber fans in the ass!

But then again, given our track record at Mosiac since 2004, I suppose a little taunting won't change the inevitable

Old Posted Aug 29, 2014, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
But then again, given our track record at Mosiac since 2004, I suppose a little taunting won't change the inevitable
Well, with Dressler signed and expected to play on Sunday, it should be even more of a madhouse than usual. Expect a huge ovation when he is shown on the jumbotron. The crowd will be tough on the Bombers but, given the previoulsy-noted anemic offence of the Riders, I'd say this one is up for grabs.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2014, 3:44 PM

Oh how quick the Bombers fortunes change.

Riders sign Dressler, Durrant get health, then Willy hurts his throwing hand.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2014, 3:46 PM
arf

@that billboard.

Don't give Rider fans any ideas. You might be having to watch a few thousand people dressed like that in Winnipeg in a week and a half.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Aug 29, 2014, 3:47 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
Well, with Dressler signed and expected to play on Sunday, it should be even more of a madhouse than usual. Expect a huge ovation when he is shown on the jumbotron. The crowd will be tough on the Bombers but, given the previoulsy-noted anemic offence of the Riders, I'd say this one is up for grabs.
I've seen at least ten Dressler jerseys just this morning and its not even game day. He may be a bit over-rated locally, but as I've said before he works hard and is a bit of an underdog. Saskatchewan really appreciates the ethic and the attitude outsiders have to him.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2014, 4:55 PM

I lived in Regina for a bit before moving back to Winnipeg. It was pretty common to see people wearing a Riders jersey on any given day, meaning non-game days just out an about. On game days it seemed like half the population dressed in Riders gear. I remember going to do some grocery shopping at the Safeway. They were playing the radio broadcast over the loudspeaker at the store. I think they had won the previous grey cup (the first time in many years) so maybe that had something to do with it. But yeah, it was a bit surreal.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2014, 5:00 PM

^It's almost a bit cliché, IMO. Not much else going on around those parts I guess.

Just like the lovefest with the Jets that's still ongoing. Like we're super special because the NHL is back. I hate watching the games on CBC and all the announcers talk about (besides the terrible play by play) is how great it is to be back in Winnipeg, blah blah blah. Shut up already.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2014, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
^It's almost a bit cliché, IMO. Not much else going on around those parts I guess.

Just like the lovefest with the Jets that's still ongoing. Like we're super special because the NHL is back. I hate watching the games on CBC and all the announcers talk about (besides the terrible play by play) is how great it is to be back in Winnipeg, blah blah blah. Shut up already.
Kind of weird to see someone whose username is bomberjet dumping on fan support!

But really now... are you trying to tell me that Regina and Winnipeg have high levels of fan support for the Riders and Jets because there's nothing else to do? Is Chicago a dull town because people are really into the Bears? Do Torontonians like watching the Leafs because their city is boring? Or is NY a one-horse town because people like the Yankees? You get my drift.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2014, 6:11 PM

No. But that's ALL I ever hear out of Saskatchewan. Riders, riders rah rah rah!. I meet people from Saskatchewan through work and one of the first things they talk about is football and the Bombers. I was in Yorkton a couple years back and they painted Rider logo's all over the streets. Right on the pavement in the middle of the road. All over the place. For what? Playing the game through the load speakers at the supermarket is another example. It's like the tired old Winnipeg attitude. After a while, it's too much. Over saturation.

There's fan support. And the Rider's have that, no doubt. But it's get to the point where it's not fan support. It's an obsession, like OCD. Constantly picking at that pimple just because it's there. There comes a time where you need to relax a bit. IMO anyways.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan