HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 17, 2007, 12:58 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
Well are the renderings any good?
The quality of the rendering is quite good, yes. Despite the small size, it is a very clear image.

The building looks good too.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2007, 5:48 AM

So am i going to have to find a new curling club or what?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2007, 5:52 AM
visionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by c vist View Post
So the City is reviewing 3 proposals for 100 Main; here's what I've heard they consist of:
1. 30+ storey condo tower with 4 levels of parking.
2. a mixed use 20+ storey with indoor market and retail space and outdoor market/park development.
3. A proposal to leave the site the way it is.

This should be enough fodder to chew on while we await the decision-makers torture.

1. I am ok with number 1 just as long matches upper fort gary ruins that the historical society is trying to expand. And I hope all parkades are either hidden from sight or underground.

2. there is enough indoor markets and retail at the fort gary hotel condos just west of it inside there they struggle to bring merchants all there is there is city offices and there already the forks right near. Although if they would build a mix use building that holds a museum about upper fort gary and gift shops and condos on the second level then that would be cool.

3. I hope not

I actually I wouldn't mind having a portion of recreated upper fort garry wall cross main street with lanes tunnelling through the wall.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2007, 5:59 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
So am i going to have to find a new curling club or what?
no don't wory about it i don't think its part of the land up for grabs

Old Posted Jan 17, 2007, 6:02 AM
I am a typical

"1. I am ok with number 1 just as long matches upper fort gary ruins that the historical society is trying to expand. And I hope all parkades are either hidden from sight or underground."

Then you aren't ok with it. Sorry.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2007, 6:02 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperred88 View Post
1. I am ok with number 1 just as long matches upper fort gary ruins that the historical society is trying to expand. And I hope all parkades are either hidden from sight or underground.

2. there is enough indoor markets and retail at the fort gary hotel condos just west of it inside there they struggle to bring merchants all there is there is city offices and there already the forks right near. Although if they would build a mix use building that holds a museum about upper fort gary and gift shops and condos on the second level then that would be cool.

3. I hope not

I actually I wouldn't mind having a portion of recreated upper fort garry wall cross main street with lanes tunnelling through the wall.

the tallest when you see it looks dam sexy....

Old Posted Jan 17, 2007, 3:41 PM
Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
Chateau 100 is an ugly white concrete box from the 70s. Another one would not be an improvement to the skyline and above ground open-air parkades do little for the street level esthetics either.
Sorry you missed the sarcasm h0.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2007, 6:16 PM
Movin' on up

Does anyone know if/when these proposals will be made public, and if they already have, where can you go to browse them?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2007, 1:59 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertaboy View Post
Does anyone know if/when these proposals will be made public, and if they already have, where can you go to browse them?
heritage winnipeg has its proposil in pdf format on their site

as for the other 2 your guna have to wait

Old Posted Jan 18, 2007, 4:39 PM
http://www.archiseek.com

Old Posted Jan 18, 2007, 5:00 PM
the first stamp is free

The heritage Winnipeg concept is pretty interesting. As much as I'd like to see a sleak new tower in Winnipeg, I'd hate to have it built over an area with so much history - especially when said tower has about a hundred different locations in the area that it could go.

I actually think I prefer this option over all others. Let's preserve and tastefully restore the site where Manitoba was born. Put the highrise a couple streets over. Win Win.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2007, 5:13 PM
http://www.archiseek.com

I tend to agree with you Drew.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2007, 6:03 PM

I might as well come out of the closet too. Is this really the right place for a tower? Was Fort Garry Place the right location? I'd prefer to see skyscrapers clustered (and residential in particular) to get the biggest bang for our buck in terms of ancillary services.

Also, this is a pretty historic site, with the Hotel, Manitoba Club, and Gate. Shouldn't we encourage development that complements those amenities? Not necessarily the HW plan. So hard to say without being able to see the proposals. Maybe there's room for both.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2007, 6:38 PM
Mr. Winnipeg

Yeah, fill in a parking lot.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2007, 8:13 PM
Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archiseek View Post
I tend to agree with you Drew.
Wait until you see proposal #2 ... it's a marriage of building new and preserving the heritage of the site. I think you will be delightfully surprised by the design.

I do agree that a tower for tower's sake is stupid ... but it sure has the votes from the Alberta crowd (overcompensation???).

Old Posted Jan 18, 2007, 8:19 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Wait until you see proposal #2 ... it's a marriage of building new and preserving the heritage of the site. I think you will be delightfully surprised by the design.

I do agree that a tower for tower's sake is stupid ... but it sure has the votes from the Alberta crowd (overcompensation???).
What's your beef with a tower? Fine, place it in a more non-historical area, that way it wouldn't compromise the historic nature of the area. Would that make things better for you?

ps I know how much you hate Albertans(btw I am technically still a registered Manitoba citizen) on the Winnipeg thread, but oh well, that isn't about to change anytime soon so there are so many of us out here, so you'll just have to get used to it

Last edited by Greco Roman; Jan 18, 2007 at 8:27 PM.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2007, 8:45 PM

You and freeweed are good shits but who's that greedy sonofabitch, calgreedian or whatever. ick.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2007, 8:53 PM
Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertaboy View Post
What's your beef with a tower? Fine, place it in a more non-historical area, that way it wouldn't compromise the historic nature of the area. Would that make things better for you?

ps I know how much you hate Albertans(btw I am technically still a registered Manitoba citizen) on the Winnipeg thread, but oh well, that isn't about to change anytime soon so there are so many of us out here, so you'll just have to get used to it
Some of my best friends are Albertans ... I'm about to call one now on an 80 million $ project I'm working on out there. Thank you Alberta for helping me put food on the table of my two daughters.

You're wrong ... I just don't see the need for a tower in a City where land costs are so low. When I meet with a client, I typically don't say you should use a more expensive building type because you have the money. Maybe it's my Scottish background or the reality of the construction industry in Winnipeg, but I believe in value engineering (or architecteering if that's a word). I'm the guy who sits across from a client when they open up the tender folders for the construction cost ... it's never a good time when the costs come in high.

Last edited by c vist; Jan 19, 2007 at 3:32 AM.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2007, 10:03 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
I just don't see the need for a tower in City where land costs are so low.
I personally don't understand the idea of a tower at that location at all. It's at the extreme periphery of downtown and is poorly served by transit, retail, roads, everything. I'm just imagining the long walk from Portage when it's 30 below... To me, re-developing a parking lot somewhere around Graham/St. Mary would make far more sense (but still a tower - towers just make sense in a downtown).

I DO like the idea of re-constructing the Upper Ft. Garry gate over Broadway though, and having cars drive through it. Entirely impractical, but boy would it look cool!

Old Posted Jan 19, 2007, 5:54 PM

[QUOTE=freeweed;2572898]I personally don't understand the idea of a tower at that location at all. It's at the extreme periphery of downtown and is poorly served by transit, retail, roads, everything. I'm just imagining the long walk from Portage when it's 30 below... To me, re-developing a parking lot somewhere around Graham/St. Mary would make far more sense (but still a tower - towers just make sense in a downtown).QUOTE]

I agree that a tower (mixed-use) may be better at a different location than at the 100 Main area but if it came down to having it built there or not at all, I would rather see it built there.

If the tower could be built somewhere else downtown, I think one of the best locations would be the northwest corner of Fort & Graham. If the entrance was to be located close to the intersection, it would only be a short walk across the street to Winnipeg Square and then access to the whole skywalk system. Even in winter you could venture across the street without a coat and could do all the walking indoors that you want.

Another great feature of this site is that if the tower is tall enough, there would be an unobstructed view of the Forks and St. Boniface. The location is also far enough away from the heavy motor traffic route of either Main St or Portage Ave that it would be a quieter environment even though Graham is a transit route. A structure there would also help fill in some of the surface parking prominent in downtown.

Either way I would really like to see this structure constructed somewhere downtown to help continue the revitilization of the city centre.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan