HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Jul 11, 2014, 1:22 PM

Really interested to hear Airdrie's numbers...that city will obviously surpass 50,000 this year, but by how much awaits to be seen.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2014, 1:27 PM
ARTchitecture

A couple of benchmarks will be surpassd this year.

Red Deer - surpass 100 000
Airdrie - surpass 50 000
Cochrane - surpass 20 000
Cold Lake - Surpass 15 000

Calgary - **possibly** surpass 1.2 million

Also, I wonder if Chestermere will surprise us like Cochrane did and make a big jump to near 20 000... that would require a growth of like 30% though, so I doubt it

Also, here is a link to an article about the meeting of the Western Premiers. It's very interesting, and I hope something comes of it.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/west...down-1.2703136

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2014, 2:11 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
I agree. Also, did anyone else read about the meetings between Western and Territorial Premiers over this past week in Iqaluit? They have all unanimously called for greater trade linkages between provinces, the relaxation of the crackdown on foreign workers (especially important in Alberta, northern BC, and the territories), and the relaxation of international immigration to the west. We could end up seeing a population surge if the federal government listens.

Also, Okotoks census numbers were just released. Their population is now 27 331, with a growth of over 1 000 people this past year. Not as impressive as Cochrane's numbers, but still pretty good
OT but IMO the current changes and phase out of the unskilled TFW program is a good thing for the workers and Canada. Particularly because we don't provide a path to residency for the workers. The government doesn't have the ability or resources to properly manage a system like this. The labour market assessment is an easily circumvented item that allowed companies to hire TFW's when they could have easily hire Canadians and in some cases pushing Canadians out of jobs. As well the system allows the exploitation of the TFW as they are sent home if they complain about conditions. While most programs have the possibility of exploitation, this involves people and IMO has a higher than acceptable risk of exploitation.

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2014, 2:14 PM
ARTchitecture

Oh okay, I didn't realize that. Well maybe the system could be overhauled. They should set up a new commission within the department of immigration to manage temporary residents/workers.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2014, 2:57 PM

Quote:
I agree. Also, did anyone else read about the meetings between Western and Territorial Premiers over this past week in Iqaluit? They have all unanimously called for greater trade linkages between provinces, the relaxation of the crackdown on foreign workers (especially important in Alberta, northern BC, and the territories), and the relaxation of international immigration to the west. We could end up seeing a population surge if the federal government listens.

Also, Okotoks census numbers were just released. Their population is now 27 331, with a growth of over 1 000 people this past year. Not as impressive as Cochrane's numbers, but still pretty good
Okotoks will struggle to grow for the next five years or so due to water issues. They only recently removed a population cap so we can't really expect much there. As for Cochrane, they will probably explode over the next little while, if the market permits.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2014, 3:28 PM
BANNED

Was thinking the census results would be out today. They usually release on Fridays iirc, and it's already almost mid-July!

Old Posted Jul 11, 2014, 3:59 PM
ARTchitecture

I was hoping that as well. My guess is somewhere between 1.18 and 1.2 million. I feel like the city grew faster this year than last.

Also, my prediction for the next quarterly provincial estimate is that the province will be over 4.15 million, and over 4.2 million by Q4.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2014, 4:00 PM

With regard to the Temporary Foreign Worker program, it's unfortunate, but the government acted in large part because a lot of businesses were taking advantage of the program by staffing up with ONLY foreign workers, because they can save money by paying them 10% less than other workers. This clearly was not the intent of the program and has left a lot of young people in Calgary unable to find minimum wage work. This was one of those rare occasions that the Conservative government and organized labour were on the same page.

Obviously we need access to additional workers, but whatever replaces the TFW program needs to be better thought out and address those flaws/loopholes in the system.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2014, 6:09 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthMalgus View Post
With regard to the Temporary Foreign Worker program, it's unfortunate, but the government acted in large part because a lot of businesses were taking advantage of the program by staffing up with ONLY foreign workers, because they can save money by paying them 10% less than other workers.
No, they acted in large part because of a PR nightmare about some waitress in SK losing her job and the lowest-hanging fruit political optics of going after McDonalds, which is way easier than actual research-based policy.

Jason Kenney is the most incompetent piece of shit. I saw him at Gravity, of all places, a couple of weeks ago and I might have to take back my committed understanding that he's gay- he's not a virgin because he's a self-hating fag; he might or might not be a self-hating fag but he has the most disgusting humpty-dumpty shape I've ever seen on a man. Fat, fat, fat ass pear. This explains everything to me about why he hates people who are sexually active, gay or straight.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2014, 6:34 PM

Lol! Come on, at least he's less of a dick than Anders. Ok, aside from Kenney's involvement I still think the TFW program was flawed and I know certain businesses (especially fast food) were using it as an excuse for cheap labour.

A simple fix perhaps is to remove the provision about paying 10% below minimum wage. If there truly is a labour shortage that necessitates hiring foreign workers, why do they need to get paid less? Maybe I am missing something really simple but it seems obvious to me...

Old Posted Jul 12, 2014, 8:13 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthMalgus View Post
Lol! Come on, at least he's less of a dick than Anders. Ok, aside from Kenney's involvement I still think the TFW program was flawed and I know certain businesses (especially fast food) were using it as an excuse for cheap labour.

A simple fix perhaps is to remove the provision about paying 10% below minimum wage. If there truly is a labour shortage that necessitates hiring foreign workers, why do they need to get paid less? Maybe I am missing something really simple but it seems obvious to me...
I don't think the issues with the TFW program have anything to do with the minister in charge.

I agree the allowance to pay TFW's 10% less is bogus, it's only a cash grab by the companies. If they companies can't find people they raise their rates, the TFW program prevents this from happening by allowing companies to continue to pay less than minimum wage and any Canadians working get screwed because their wages don't increase as their cost of living does. IMO the TFW program circumvents one of the key safety nets we put in place, the minimum wage and the free market principle of scarcity.

I believe we need to move from minimum wage to living wage, this would give those that are living off of minimum wage jobs the ability to better their lives.

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2014, 9:32 PM

The TFW program is misunderstood. It allowed employers to pay up to 15% less than the median wage, not the minimum wage. That was more protection than Canadian citizens enjoyed.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 5:49 AM
Round Head

This is an interesting census...

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 1:09 PM
ARTchitecture

I wish.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 2:52 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
We going to see results soon?

Interesting in terms of population growth in the inner city?

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 3:19 PM
Editor

I'm sticking with my last prediction of 35-40K.......Maybe something around 38K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post
I might have to change my guess from 30K to something more like 35-40K

The CMA looks to have really strong numbers according to that info above posted by Stephen Ave, and also from this article today.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/busines...662/story.html
From the article

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 3:24 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
Thinking the numbers gotta be going public today then!

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 3:31 PM
Round Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
Thinking the numbers gotta be going public today then!
Next week.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 3:55 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post
I'm sticking with my last prediction of 35-40K.......Maybe something around 38K.
Just round us off to 1.2 million

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 4:16 PM
Editor

Quote:
Just round us off to 1.2 million
If I had to take a guess, I would say 1,195,000

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation