HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Jul 20, 2020, 8:30 PM

I've been on that road enough, I didn't think it had the traffic after Sylvain to justify twinning. Maybe more passing lanes but twinning seems much. As for the extension to BC (Never Happen).

They really should be twining the highway from Grassland down to Gibbons. And add an interchange at Highway 15.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2020, 10:12 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
https://www.ponokanews.com/news/hwy-...ountain-house/
Interesting, AB-11's to be twinned up to Rocky Mountain House.
Yeah this is a bit of a head scratcher for me as it doesn’t seem like twinning to RMH would be top of the priority list. I would think the Grassland to Gibbons that Airboy mentioned, TCH free-flow or bypass in Med Hat, Nanton, Clarsholm & Ft. MacLeod bypasses, 3-laning the #2 between Calgary & Edmonton would all rate higher (just off the top of my head).
I assume they are trying to spend the dollars in all areas of the province and that is the reason for twinning #11 to RMH.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2020, 11:47 PM

Optamist side: David Thompson County is closer to Edmonton than Jasper and Kananaskis is very popular, so as the article suggests it's trying to spur tourism in the mountains. Cynical side says the area is the bluest of blue ridings so they're trying to keep a loyal base happy.

Last edited by dmuzika; Jul 23, 2020 at 4:21 AM.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 12:20 AM

If they are twinning highway 11, then they better extend the highway into BC via the Blaeberry River to Highway 1, otherwise the twined highway will not have enough traffic to justify the expense. Another option would be to remove the tolls on the Jasper to Banff highway.

Last edited by itom 987; Jul 21, 2020 at 12:46 AM.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 12:39 AM

Rocky Mountain House is not big enough to justify this twinning.

Money might be better spent on making Nordegg become the next 'Canmore'.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 4:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmuzika View Post
Optamist side: David Thompson County is closer to Edm9than Jasper and Kananaskis is very popular, so as the article suggests it's trying to spur tourism in the mountains. Cynical side says the area is the bluest of blue ridings so they're trying to keep a loyal base happy.
If it's a true blue riding then there is no need to spend money on them to win votes, as they'll vote UCP regardless.

These twinnings do appear to be on pretty low volume roads - if this one and the Taber one justify twinning then all the roads around Bragg Creek would by the same metric.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 3:18 PM

How about the last section of 16 from highway 40 to the park gate. And yah that 3rd lane to Calgary.

And a 3rd lane to Stoneyplain.

It also makes more sense to twin highway 2 from Morrinville to Clyde Corner. (Been on the back burner for years).

There was also plans to widen highway 37 from Ft Sask to Onoway. A lot of truck traffic use that route.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 3:46 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Wow, AB-37 will be like Edmonton’s second bypass then. I didn’t know that Anthony Henday Drive was already that busy.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Wow, AB-37 will be like Edmonton’s second bypass then. I didn’t know that Anthony Henday Drive was already that busy.
There is a large number of trucks on the GP run that use it to get to Ft Sask. Been used long before the Henday. And it is faster. Still have to get off the Henday to Get to Ft Sask.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 6:13 PM

VERY good news about 11 being twinned to Rocky. I also don't see how it's justified tho. Trying to prepare for a future Howse Pass Highway?!?! Please say it's so!

Sidenote: Sucks C2E forum shutdown... I had a lot of good highway info on that site.
Are going insane.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 7:32 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
How about the last section of 16 from highway 40 to the park gate. And yah that 3rd lane to Calgary.

And a 3rd lane to Stoneyplain.

It also makes more sense to twin highway 2 from Morrinville to Clyde Corner. (Been on the back burner for years).

There was also plans to widen highway 37 from Ft Sask to Onoway. A lot of truck traffic use that route.
My wish list also includes a 3rd lane on the TCH between Calgary and the Banff gate. They could actually just add a single lane and have it reversible - westbound AM and eastbound PM

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 7:33 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.tru.albertan View Post
VERY good news about 11 being twinned to Rocky. I also don't see how it's justified tho. Trying to prepare for a future Howse Pass Highway?!?! Please say it's so!

Sidenote: Sucks C2E forum shutdown... I had a lot of good highway info on that site.
I thought you would like that tru

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 7:44 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
My wish list also includes a 3rd lane on the TCH between Calgary and the Banff gate. They could actually just add a single lane and have it reversible - westbound AM and eastbound PM
I don't agree with a reversible lane in a 110-kph zone. In B.C., the speed limit on Alex Fraser Bridge (where there's one) is only 70 ~ 80 kph.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 8:40 PM

Quote:
I don't agree with a reversible lane in a 110-kph zone. In B.C., the speed limit on Alex Fraser Bridge (where there's one) is only 70 ~ 80 kph.
I don't think he was being serious. Six or even eight lanes between Calgary and Banff could easily be justified. I believe the province also has serious plans to add lanes to Highway 2 between Calgary and Edmonton. I believe some stretches are already getting them.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.tru.albertan View Post

That's Jason Nixon country so keeping with the UCP, it is probably so Jason doesn't get stuck behind a tractor.

Adding the 3rd lane on TCH at least to 22 would help a lot.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2020, 12:15 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Yeah I wasn’t serious about the reversible lane between Calgary & Banff - just tongue-in-cheek. Would be great to add a lane in both directions.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2020, 2:44 AM

I'd rather see that highway 11 money go to building a parking lot and interpretive centre at Abraham Lake to see the bubbles.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2020, 3:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
I don't think he was being serious. Six or even eight lanes between Calgary and Banff could easily be justified. I believe the province also has serious plans to add lanes to Highway 2 between Calgary and Edmonton. I believe some stretches are already getting them.
What happens when 4 lanes worth of traffic gets to Banff? There's not enough parking or local road capacity to manage any more, nor should we want much more in the park.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2020, 4:48 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
https://www.ponokanews.com/news/hwy-...ountain-house/
Interesting, AB-11's to be twinned up to Rocky Mountain House.
Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
Yeah this is a bit of a head scratcher for me as it doesn’t seem like twinning to RMH would be top of the priority list. I would think the Grassland to Gibbons that Airboy mentioned, TCH free-flow or bypass in Med Hat, Nanton, Clarsholm & Ft. MacLeod bypasses, 3-laning the #2 between Calgary & Edmonton would all rate higher (just off the top of my head).
I assume they are trying to spend the dollars in all areas of the province and that is the reason for twinning #11 to RMH.
All these plus three laning the TCH from Calgary to Banff park gates. They should do it at least as far as Hwy #22 at a minimum (currently three lanign to Old Banff Coach Road). Also a Strathmore bypass.

This project plus the twinning east of Taber smells like the UPC playing to their base. I can understand the Hwy 3 work, the #11 project is a head scratcher.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jul 23, 2020, 4:50 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
What happens when 4 lanes worth of traffic gets to Banff? There's not enough parking or local road capacity to manage any more, nor should we want much more in the park.
Much of it is through traffic heading to BC. But yes it does bog down. Invermere is 2.5 hour drive and it's routinely taking 4-5 hours on some weekends now.

Albert Einstein

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia