HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 3:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
I have a hard time buying the argument that flights are the main reason. If Prince Albert is the main mine site, that area is better connected to Saskatoon than Edmonton.

Finding the people with the correct skills may be a more viable reason.
I think OP meant that the business connections from Alberta are better than Saskatoon. If you want to have a meeting with someone from America in Saskatoon, the multiple connections it would take would be a big headache. I think that's part of the reason why the new Potashcorp/Atrium merger will be based in Calgary.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 9:56 PM

Hi. Jumping over here from the Regina thread.

What's the general consensus from Saskatonians on Red Swan Pizza? They've announced they're opening up an franchise location in Regina soon. Any good?

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 2:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
I have a hard time buying the argument that flights are the main reason. If Prince Albert is the main mine site, that area is better connected to Saskatoon than Edmonton.

Finding the people with the correct skills may be a more viable reason.
Rents in Calgary are one third of what they were a few years ago.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 3:04 PM

Yeah thats true Stormer. I did read an article a while back (although I forget where) about how Calgary's huge office vaccancy will take businesses from across Canada and esspecially hurt Saskatchewans cities. Good office space in Saskatoon is at a premium until some of these new towers get built. I think once these A or A+ class building start getting built downtown here that there will be a big shift in pricing in the lower classes as businesses reposition themselves in the core which might help us.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 7:17 PM

Yes according to colliers Calgary had rents as high as $40/sqft in Q4 2012 and now in Q2 of 2017 it is $14.50 with 27% vacancy

Old Posted Aug 19, 2017, 9:05 PM

Staff set for opening of new Saskatoon elementary schools

By Rebekah Lesko, Global News

Many Saskatoon teachers are getting their classrooms ready, especially in the city’s four new joint-use elementary schools, which are just weeks away from opening.

This comes after the province first made the announcement about the schools back in October 2013.

Joint-use schools have both a public and a Catholic school located in the same building.

“It’s unique, that’s for sure. We’ve never opened six new schools, ever, at the same time,” Darryl Bazylak, the superintendent of education with Greater Saskatoon Catholic Schools, said.

[........]

Read more:
http://globalnews.ca/news/3681895/st...ntary-schools/

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 4:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan0myte View Post
Hi. Jumping over here from the Regina thread.

What's the general consensus from Saskatonians on Red Swan Pizza? They've announced they're opening up an franchise location in Regina soon. Any good?
It's my favourite pizza in town and has been for some time, the sesame seed crust is awesome.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 9:01 PM

The new façade of Taverna has been revealed:

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Tavernay...=page_internal

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 2:04 PM

Great improvement....I assume those are "accordian" window/doors that can open in the summer for patio? This has been an iconic restaurant for many years in Saskatoon and was due for an update....good job!

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 3:57 PM

Saskatoon Minor Football Field Upgrades

The seats from old Mosaic Stadium are now in place on the east side of Saskatoon Minor Football Field and it's really starting to come together nicely. They will be replacing the bleachers on the west side with the same style of seats and putting in the end zone boxes from old Mosaic around the north and south ends. Too bad they didn't grab the old scoreboard which was available for only a buck at the auction and went unsold! It was a $10,000 fee to remove it, but that still would have been an outstanding addition. Either way, huge upgrade overall for the Hilltops and High School Football in Saskatoon.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 4:31 PM

A really great improvement. It's good for the city.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 4:53 PM

Really nice sitting in those old bleachers was a real pain in the you know what, nice to see for the teams especially the Hilltops who are so successful.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 2:01 AM

Heritage designation of the Third Avenue United Church received a nod of support from the provincial heritage review board that was convened when the designation was objected to at City Council last year. Now the matter can go back to Council for a final decision.

The objector (and former owner of the church), John Orr, has come forward with drawings of what he planned to do with the property had he held on to it:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...blow-1.4260771

Absolutely laughable. Not to mention ugly and tasteless as sin. Who is this guy?!

It's funny that he complains that no banks will lend him money to build the tower if the church is designated as heritage. C'mon. No bank should ever lend money to him regardless!

So glad that his hands are off this precious building. I now feel confident that it will receive heritage status and finally find the respectful owner it deserves. The current owner notes in the article that he's in talks with a "community group" interested in purchasing it.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 3:09 AM

I've spent many hours at SMF Field with two boys playing football, the seats are a fantastic addition.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Heritage designation of the Third Avenue United Church received a nod of support from the provincial heritage review board that was convened when the designation was objected to at City Council last year. Now the matter can go back to Council for a final decision.

The objector (and former owner of the church), John Orr, has come forward with drawings of what he planned to do with the property had he held on to it:

Absolutely laughable. Not to mention ugly and tasteless as sin. Who is this guy?!

It's funny that he complains that no banks will lend him money to build the tower if the church is designated as heritage. C'mon. No bank should ever lend money to him regardless!

So glad that his hands are off this precious building. I now feel confident that it will receive heritage status and finally find the respectful owner it deserves. The current owner notes in the article that he's in talks with a "community group" interested in purchasing it.
Wow. I think he is legitimate in that acquired some very unique property and tried to repurpose it. The Orr centre in Regina was one of his assets and it looks like his main tenant there was the University of Saskatchewan.

Those rendering are out in left field and thankfully will never get built.

Here is some info on what he use to have:
http://www.insolvencies.deloitte.ca/...016_052016.pdf

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 1:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post

Im all for downtown towers, but big NOPE on this one lol

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 4:35 PM

Well I do believe thats a pretty rough render but I don't hate the building if you exclude the bit where they are trying to build over an existing structure. I think a building like that would look suuuuper awkward in Saskatoon esspecially in that neck of the woods. Would not be a good fit. Overall I am glad that nothing came of it but it is not the worst proposal, visibly, ever (again ignoring that it is sitting over an old church). But maybe with a slight to moderate redesign, a better location and a better render we could have gotten excited about this project.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 4:42 PM

Phase I of Shift Development's Element Urban Village at 17th St and Ave F is sold out, and it sounds like they're getting started on Phase II right away. They're going for a bit of a different look with this phase:

https://elementurbanvillage.com/details/

Also, you may have noticed that Shift is sprucing up a couple storefronts at 20th St and Ave D:

https://shiftdevelopment.com/projects/

Nice to see more renewal.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 10:59 PM

edit

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jun 7, 2021 at 7:28 PM.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 3:16 AM

What exactly is the grey/red building going up in Brighton? Motion fitness I presume?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan