HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 6:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
hmm mondragon
If you like vegetarian food, you should try Lo Pub or Delicious Chinese Vegetarian Restaurant.

And you don't get a preachy/standing on their soap box server like I did at Mondragon both times.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 6:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
^ and the line up is re-branding....the owners split up...one will own the line up in city place and winnipeg square and the other will change its name.
Do you know if it's going to be similar food after the re-branding? or are they changing everything up?

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 1:58 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
hmm mondragon
Uh... no.

I highly doubt that many here are interested in going to a restaurant run and owned by a bunch of annoying self-righteous anarchist vegans.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 2:00 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
^ and the line up is re-branding....the owners split up...one will own the line up in city place and winnipeg square and the other will change its name.
I hope one of them improves the food.

I like their concept, but everytime I eat there I feel like I am eating something that they bought at Costco or M&M Meat Shops and have warmed up for me.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
Uh... no.

I highly doubt that many here are interested in going to a restaurant run and owned by a bunch of annoying self-righteous anarchist vegans.
Exactly! Vegan food is decent if made right, but you're bang on about the staff.

That's what I was trying to say, but you described them much better.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2012, 6:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYSTHELIMIT View Post
Speaking of that area I see Fyxx has closed for renovations and is under new management to open again sometime soon.
I think it is taking a beating from the Free Press cafe. Great location but never liked their presentation. And the place always smelled like bleach/sour mop pail. Yuck.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2012, 6:37 AM

Is the Lo Pub restaurant still open? Thought i heard it wasn't.

Whoever recommended Tavern United for food - seriously! That food is terrible! They catered a conference I hosted and it was embarrassing. Been there twice when i was forced to go there and it is barely tolerable. And believe me, I'll eat anything.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
Is the Lo Pub restaurant still open? Thought i heard it wasn't.

Whoever recommended Tavern United for food - seriously! That food is terrible! They catered a conference I hosted and it was embarrassing. Been there twice when i was forced to go there and it is barely tolerable. And believe me, I'll eat anything.
Yeah, it's open. I was last there a few weeks ago. Now that you mention it though, I think there was a different restaurant there a few years back...but they closed, renovated and re-opened as the one that's currently there. Not 100% on that though.

And it was me that recommended Tavern. It's not the best but it's tolerable. I've only had their wings, and I thought they were pretty good.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2012, 11:45 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
Uh... no.

aww that not all of them... not everyone who works there is a member of the co-op....... and u just insulted several of my friends........

Old Posted Jan 26, 2012, 2:58 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
aww that not all of them... not everyone who works there is a member of the co-op....... and u just insulted several of my friends........
You should probably gently remind your friends that people eating there do not like to be bashed over their heads with their oddball ideological rants and holier-than-thou smug attitudes.

Sorry about your friends, but their attitudes are costing them return customers.

Someone I worked with went there once and she could overhear the staff talking about the fact that she had a fur lined hood and how stupid she was for wearing it in their church... err... restaurant.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2012, 7:07 PM
BANNED

Lo Pub is definitely still open, the pub closed for renos for I think a week at the start of the month, but the bistro has been open throughout.

The place replacing The Fyxx is going to be called "Urban Forest Coffee Shop and Lounge"...

Old Posted Jan 26, 2012, 7:10 PM

Quote:
I'm going to have to back up hotwired on this one...I was personally subject to one of the staff member's lectures about how I was killing the environment driving the vehicle I have.

Last edited by pollswpg; Jan 26, 2012 at 7:20 PM.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2012, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollswpg View Post
Yeah, it's open. I was last there a few weeks ago. Now that you mention it though, I think there was a different restaurant there a few years back...but they closed, renovated and re-opened as the one that's currently there. Not 100% on that though.

And it was me that recommended Tavern. It's not the best but it's tolerable. I've only had their wings, and I thought they were pretty good.
I agree - tolerable. But not sure I would suggest it to out of towners! Sorry didn't mean to offend - i like wings as much as the next guy. Just tainted by some Supremely Horrible service I got from them that was a huge embarrassment at a national conference.

I hope the Lo Pub and restaurant can make a go of it ... they are a nice addition to the neighbourhood.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2012, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
I agree - tolerable. But not sure I would suggest it to out of towners! Sorry didn't mean to offend - i like wings as much as the next guy. Just tainted by some Supremely Horrible service I got from them that was a huge embarrassment at a national conference.

I hope the Lo Pub and restaurant can make a go of it ... they are a nice addition to the neighbourhood.
No, you're probably right. Hopefully he didn't take my suggestion and get chased away from Winnipeg for good lol.

Lo Pub/Bistro seem to be doing pretty well...everytime I'm in there it's decently busy and the staff/owner are always extremely friendly.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 9:58 PM

I ended up going to Peasent Cookery one day for Lunch, had the roasted beet salad - It was great. Brooklyn Bistro one night, had the BOA Pizza, it was pretty good, right behind my hotel. And checked out 4play across from the MTS for some Wings - Had the sweet chili, they were great.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2012, 3:28 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
I'm going to have to back up hotwired on this one...I was personally subject to one of the staff member's lectures about how I was killing the environment driving the vehicle I have.
depends who u get though not all of them are like that

Old Posted Feb 2, 2012, 6:37 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION

Downtown dining menu grows
New restaurants keep popping up
By: Murray McNeill / Commercial Real Estate

Stefano Grande, executive director of the Downtown Winnipeg BIZ, said the arrival of more restaurants is particularly encouraging.

"Restaurants attract people during the day and during the evenings and on the weekends," Grande said. "So the more restaurants that open up, the closer you are to achieving that goal of creating a vibrant downtown..."
...the closer you are to being lazy and not cooking for yourself at home and having someone else do it FOR YOU.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2012, 6:38 AM

Quote:
What? Do they also volunteer at the nearby Eco Network offices on Portage Ave.?

Old Posted Feb 2, 2012, 6:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRan View Post
I ended up going to Peasent Cookery one day for Lunch, had the roasted beet salad - It was great. Brooklyn Bistro one night, had the BOA Pizza, it was pretty good, right behind my hotel. And checked out 4play across from the MTS for some Wings - Had the sweet chili, they were great.
I like the bar in the Peasant Cookery.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2012, 1:41 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
depends who u get though not all of them are like that
When playing Russian roulette there isn't always a bullet in every chamber.

Still not going to play.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan