HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 5:45 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by micahinsa View Post
I was in the area the other morning and snapped some pics for posterity. What a dreadful space this is right now; this building is going to absolutely transform this intersection.

I may or may not have stood in the middle of Broadway whilst taking some of these photos.

(like button)

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 7:56 PM
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
(like button)
For real, those two projects are going to transform Broadway completely. I feel like it wont even look like SA. Let alone when the other side starts picking up steam.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 6:09 AM
SA 24th largest city

Last edited by maxus; Jan 27, 2018 at 6:24 AM.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 5:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep-SA-Lame View Post
Dang, I really liked the new Earl Abel's location.

Also this is amazing.
Rivard Report put out an article on the new Earl Abel’s location:

https://therivardreport.com/earl-abe...k-on-broadway/

I didn’t see anything in the article about this new building. In fact it mentioned several times how significant the new location and move have been for Earl Abel’s, so I can’t imagine they’ll be up and moving AGAIN. Presumably this 1603 Broadway is going to incorporate it somehow or maybe just work around it.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 3:10 PM

Quote:

I didn’t see anything in the article about this new building. In fact it mentioned several times how significant the new location and move have been for Earl Abel’s, so I can’t imagine they’ll be up and moving AGAIN. Presumably this 1603 Broadway is going to incorporate it somehow or maybe just work around it.
I drive by the new location every day on my way to the Pearl and it never looks crowded. Also, the parking is awful in that small retail strip.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 3:39 PM

Quote:

as I mentioned earlier in this thread, if you look closely at the renderings it appears they preserve the entire building and add a second story.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 5:00 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
I drive by the new location every day on my way to the Pearl and it never looks crowded. Also, the parking is awful in that small retail strip.
Every table was full when I went a couple of Sundays ago. I think people just park in the big lot under 281 (or, you know, walk from the adjacent apartment buildings).

Last edited by Keep-SA-Lame; Jan 30, 2018 at 8:14 PM.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 3:13 PM

I was at the general meeting of the Tobin Hill Community Association last week, and the association's zoning representative presented this project to the attendees. He also had renderings, which were very different from these. I believe there was a parking garage on the west side of the building, on top of which the developers said they were building a boutique hotel that would be a total of 18 floors. The meeting attendees seemed fairly happy with the project, including its tall height. I wonder if these were earlier or later renderings?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 3:35 PM
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeCourtland View Post
I was at the general meeting of the Tobin Hill Community Association last week, and the association's zoning representative presented this project to the attendees. He also had renderings, which were very different from these. I believe there was a parking garage on the west side of the building, on top of which the developers said they were building a boutique hotel that would be a total of 18 floors. The meeting attendees seemed fairly happy with the project, including its tall height. I wonder if these were earlier or later renderings?
Oh wow. Hurry up and release those renderings!

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 8:03 PM

Quote:

Graystreet doesn't own the building Earl Abel's leased, and there is also that small law firm building (Reynaldo Diaz Law) in between Earl Abel's site and Graystreet's property. Both of those existing buildings are probably historic, too, so I would guess these renderings are mainly for show?

Old Posted Mar 10, 2018, 12:51 AM

In the preliminary HDRC agenda that came out today, Graystreet is asking permission to construct a 250' tower on this site.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2018, 3:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
In the preliminary HDRC agenda that came out today, Graystreet is asking permission to construct a 250' tower on this site.
250' is 23 floors?

Old Posted Mar 10, 2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Whoa.

Is that kind of a jump normal? To go from a 7 floor conceptual rendering to 23 floors in the final draft to be put before the HDRC?

Hope it’s spectacular. Imagine the view coming into downtown from 281 and seeing this towering beside the highway...

Old Posted Mar 10, 2018, 3:25 PM
JACKinBeantown

Great news. With such an increase in height comes an equal increase in the importance of good architecture. At seven stories I could accept the current design. At 23 stories... nuh-uh.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2018, 5:06 PM

Heard a rumor that it's gonna be a W hotel

Old Posted Mar 10, 2018, 8:09 PM

What's really interesting is that Graystreet owns acres and acres of land right across Brodaway to develop, but they are still asking for that much height.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2018, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan5021 View Post
Heard a rumor that it's gonna be a W hotel
If true, the design should be good.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2018, 8:51 PM

Quote:
What's really interesting is that Graystreet owns acres and acres of land right across Brodaway to develop, but they are still asking for that much height.
Meaning?

Can you explain for the planning-challenged amongst us? Is the idea that they wouldn’t ask for that much height if they were planning something smaller across the street?

Old Posted Mar 10, 2018, 10:27 PM

No, just that they have lots of space for their plans, and tall stuff generally happens where space is limited.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2018, 3:38 AM
Paradise

Hope this is a good one. I'm actually surprised they are going higher in this area. No complaints from me.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio